IGNORED

Spark Plug question - Old School vs Iridium

bpate4home

I've read through as many of the posts that I could find. As has been stated Yamaha want NGK Standard plugs every 8K miles but why not go with NGK iridium plugs that can last up to 100K miles. Everything I can find shows better firing, better fuel efficiency, less corrosive or fouling etc etc. Even my mechanics and mechanic friends state this is the best route.

Iridium is the best way to go. But still plan on changing them out every two to three years.

Motorcycle V4 engines are a little different than an auto engine. These motors do tend to use up plugs faster.

Still, iridium plugs are a cheap and easy maintenance item every couple of years...

Iridium is the best way to go. But still plan on changing them out every two to three years.

Motorcycle V4 engines are a little different than an auto engine. These motors do tend to use up plugs faster.

Still, iridium plugs are a cheap and easy maintenance item every couple of years...

Do you feel the same in running Iridium in an 83 Gen1 also?

Some info I have collected over the years of plugs. We ran standard plugs in a drag car in the early 70's, its all we could get. Then Copped core plugs became available. The Copper plug because it had better properties for spark ran a better spark. Our problem was they burned up a little faster. FFwd to today, platinum, iridium and other precious metals. They have even better properties, and the metals are "harder" and dont burn up. If you can get them in the heat range they are worth running. They should produce a more direct spark.

I'm on the Gen 3 V-Twin and put between 12 and 15K on the bike each year. Does this still fit your 2 - 3 year estimates? I feel comfortable with it based on everything I hear and what I've read, that would also put me at 40K mi per plug change. I see the solid input throughout this forum so I put a lot of weight on y'alls opinion.

I'm on the Gen 3 V-Twin and put between 12 and 15K on the bike each year. Does this still fit your 2 - 3 year estimates? I feel comfortable with it based on everything I hear and what I've read, that would also put me at 40K mi per plug change. I see the solid input throughout this forum so I put a lot of weight on y'alls opinion.

I would put this question in the Gen 3 section. Dave Wells and others have put some miles on their 3's and may have some observations about plugs.

That said, Yea...I can't see any reason not to run iridiums in any performance motor.