IGNORED

New to me RSV, poor MPG

I just purchased for my second bike a 2007 Royal Star Venture with 14 K miles. It looks brand new, keep in a garage its entire life and appears to be in great condition, except Poor MPG.

The first time I took the bike out on a long ride, out on the interstate the bike felt like it had no power. I filled the tank up during the interstate run. Got out on some country roads and when I revved the bike up, it had great power. I had to fill up at the end of the ride with only 105 miles on the tank. 30 mpg. Started reading some post about the plugs not getting enough power. Took my digital temperature reader and started the bike, in two minutes left rear was about 320, right rear and fronts were about 120. Ordered new plug. The front plus are a pain to change. After the change, both rear cylinders were reading 320, front is still 120. Going to try some gas treatment.

The bike does not run rough, it starts right up, no issues. Any suggestions? I have read where you can check and clean the start plug caps but I cant tell how to get in there to try that.

Thanks

The most important thing for poor mileage is usually the carbs. Either the air cleaners are dirty or the carbs are a bit gummed up due to sitting a lot. Let's face it, a low mileage bike like yours (congrats, by the way!) Can be problematic as it's not being run enough.

Fuel system cleaner and ride it like you stole it.

BTW, if this is your first experience with the Yamaha V4, know that if it doesn't have power on the highway, you are most likely in the wrong gear. You can ride all day long at speed limit in 4th gear...seriously. I've run that motor up to 85 in 3rd gear without it even being bothered. Both 4th and 5th are over drives...with most of us never even thinking of shifting into 5th until 65 to 70mph. The 2nd gen RSV you have...has about the lowest rpm limiter of the bunch. Around 6K rpm. Since the earlier generation motor (same motor) goes to 7500 rpm without issue, and the VMax version goes far higher than that....you aren't hurting anything by letting her rev.

So...run some cleaner in the gas and ride like heck...stay in 3rd or 4th most of the time and let her rip. If that doesn't help, then you will need to clean the carbs. A time consuming but easy project...well documented in the tech section.

Last thoughts...the coils and plug wires rarely have issues...so think fuel first to get the front cylinders working. And take the air intake system apart (pain in butt) but easy as well...cleaning everything as you go.

You may have to remove the carbs and get them cleaned. But, I'd try putting a bottle of Gumout for high mileage engines with PEA in the gas and running it through first to see if that would help.

I rode the bike into work today on the interstate (12 miles). The bike is running so much better with the new plugs. The rear right pipe was smoking some, I guess it had not bot bet hot for a while.

Will get some Gumout at lunch today and put in the tank.

Thanks for the suggestion.

The most important thing for poor mileage is usually the carbs. Either the air cleaners are dirty or the carbs are a bit gummed up due to sitting a lot. Let's face it, a low mileage bike like yours (congrats, by the way!) Can be problematic as it's not being run enough.

Fuel system cleaner and ride it like you stole it.

BTW, if this is your first experience with the Yamaha V4, know that if it doesn't have power on the highway, you are most likely in the wrong gear. You can ride all day long at speed limit in 4th gear...seriously. I've run that motor up to 85 in 3rd gear without it even being bothered. Both 4th and 5th are over drives...with most of us never even thinking of shifting into 5th until 65 to 70mph. The 2nd gen RSV you have...has about the lowest rpm limiter of the bunch. Around 6K rpm. Since the earlier generation motor (same motor) goes to 7500 rpm without issue, and the VMax version goes far higher than that....you aren't hurting anything by letting her rev.

So...run some cleaner in the gas and ride like heck...stay in 3rd or 4th most of the time and let her rip. If that doesn't help, then you will need to clean the carbs. A time consuming but easy project...well documented in the tech section.

Last thoughts...the coils and plug wires rarely have issues...so think fuel first to get the front cylinders working. And take the air intake system apart (pain in butt) but easy as well...cleaning everything as you go.

Thanks for the suggestions. Bike is running alot better with new plugs. Will try some Gumout also and see if that helps and run the rpm's up more.

Going to do the full service on it over the winter and check everything out. replace all fluids and filters.

These engines run amazingly well of 3 cylinders. There are members here that ran for over a year and never knew that they were only on 3 cyls. it is still nice and smooth.

As mentioned these engines love to rev, If you ride it like an air cooled V twin, it will feel very anemic and get lousy gas mileage. Do not be afraid of the rev limiter. Bouncing off the limiter once in a while will not hurt anything. If you are in a hurry you want to shift just before the limiter.

Many have added a tach, this engine like to cruise around 4200 RPM.

Thanks for the suggestions. Bike is running alot better with new plugs. Will try some Gumout also and see if that helps and run the rpm's up more.

Going to do the full service on it over the winter and check everything out. replace all fluids and filters.

Good to hear. I've found my 05 RSV loves iridium plugs. They last about 2 years max. These V4's do like plugs...!

Sounds like you’re only running on three cylinders. If all four plugs are not the same temperature, chances are they are not running. Seafoam is a lot better than Gumout. A lot more expensive too, but worth it.. also, use a whole can to a tank.

Seafoam is a lot better than Gumout.

Have you tried both? I haven't but Gumout works well for me. I also use it in all my lawn tools, my boat motor, everything that isn't running right and it clears them up. I did buy a can of seafoam but haven't tried it yet.

Are you running Premium 93 octane gas? Did the previous owner run premium? Switch to regular, then the seafoam or gumout to clean the carbon from the piston top. It will probably also need plugs if it has been run on premium for a long time. Three tanks of that mileage and power will both improve.

My personal experience from when I got my first RSV.

Are you running Premium 93 octane gas? Did the previous owner run premium? Switch to regular, then the seafoam or gumout to clean the carbon from the piston top. It will probably also need plugs if it has been run on premium for a long time. Three tanks of that mileage and power will both improve.

My personal experience from when I got my first RSV.

Topped the tank off when I bought it, 3 gallons premium, that tank I got 30 mpg

Filled up with premium I changed the plugs and the next day bought Gumout and put the entire can in the tank and topped off with regular. 2.5 gallons at about 32 mph.

Got off work one hour early today, 84 miles on this tank and the gas gage is slightly under 3/4 full. It will be interesting to see what this tank does. Bike is like different animal. Lots of power and runs great on the interstate. I am running higher rpms also.

So I should use regular gas and how often do the spark plugs need to be changed?

Thanks

For Spark plugs, Yamaha recommends you replace every 8K miles. Only use NGK plugs and check gap before installing. Your bike will love it.

If you have a tool to balance the carbs, do that as soon as you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, stay with regular. Premium will not burn completely and leave carbon deposits on the top of the piston.

Topped the tank off when I bought it, 3 gallons premium, that tank I got 30 mpg

Filled up with premium I changed the plugs and the next day bought Gumout and put the entire can in the tank and topped off with regular. 2.5 gallons at about 32 mph.

Got off work one hour early today, 84 miles on this tank and the gas gage is slightly under 3/4 full. It will be interesting to see what this tank does. Bike is like different animal. Lots of power and runs great on the interstate. I am running higher rpms also.

So I should use regular gas and how often do the spark plugs need to be changed?

Thanks

Seafoam is a lot better than Gumout.

Have you tried both? I haven't but Gumout works well for me. I also use it in all my lawn tools, my boat motor, everything that isn't running right and it clears them up. I did buy a can of seafoam but haven't tried it yet.

Ive used every kind know to man in over 50+ years. They’re all good in there own way, just the Seafoam works

the best for carburetors that have been sitting awhile. Of course once they stop up, there’s nothing you can do but take them apart and clean them.

Sounds like you got it working. Great job.

Glad I read through this thread, it answered some questions I had about my new to me RSV ('08 with 26,000 miles) compared to my last bike. I could tell just from riding it that it preferred higher revs but I didn't know if that was bad for the engine. Now I know not to worry about it. My last bike had a ton of low end torque, so it will be a little adjustment in riding style. I was also wondering about regular vs. premium since my last bike was 2000+ cc high compression monster that required premium. I am very pleased to discover that I can run regular. I have not checked mileage yet but I have a 5 day ride coming up in a couple of weeks that will be a good opportunity to do so. I may run some Seafoam through it first.......just because....