IGNORED

Stuck fuel cock on 89 Venture

My 89 has been stuck on reserve since 2006 and I have had no issues with running it that way. To free it up you pretty much have to remove it so I just left well enough alone. I make sure to store with a full tank of fuel and a bottle of sea foam in the winter and come spring I just fire up and go.

Three options:

1. If it's on "On" or "Res", just leave it if you don't think you need access to the other two settings.
  2. Take the faceplate off (two screws), pull it all out and see if you can clean it up & lubricate the seals. Be advised that doing this might result in damage to the seals or leaking upon reassembly. That's what happened with mine.
  3. Buy replacement parts and rebuild it. I think it cost me about $6 to $10 in parts and shipping.

You have a gas gauge, you do not need a reserve unless you never look at your dash. Just get it to reserve and forget it is even there.
If I feel I need to have reserve fuel I carry a I liter fuel bottle Like the ones MSR, Primus and Optimus make for back packing stoves. Primus and MSR are red The optimus one is green. The MSR bottle is a little thicker walled than the Primus. If you do go for that option do not fill above the fill line as gasoline expands alot with temp increase and therefore needs air space to accommodate this expansion otherwise the cap may fail.

• 5 months later...