IGNORED

I hate to whine....

Roadflyer

Between 1999 and 2013 the main thing that changed on the Venture was the colour annually. Seat changed in 2004 along with tank badges...don't know how often the clutch basket changed but pretty much any with a whine were 2008 and earlier. Everything is interchangeable. The RSTD and Venture shared the motor...probably some other parts as well but I haven't compared the two side-by-side.

One unexpected thing that was different between the original motor and the replacement was the wiring plugs.

I don't know if it was the change from 09 to 08 or that I have a RSTD and the 08 replacement engine might have come from a Venture, but

the ignition trigger connector and the Neutral / OD connector were different and had to be changed over.

I haven't looked at beveling gears, but if you have a spare basket from an 09 then that would be the first thing I did was that swap.

if that doesn't work then maybe look at this solution that is my current plan to try. Running an oil line to the housing to better lube the gear teeth.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?119593-YES-WHINE-is-GONE-I-Finally-did-IT-PUT-OIL-line-to-THE-DRIVE-gear-on-Clutch-housing

I had noise on my 07 RSV between 50 and 60 miles per hour. didn't matter what gear it was in. I replaced bearings in rear diff. and noise was gone. This was at 20,000 miles. Had a little bit of a chirp from clutch but nothing major. Bike had 122,000 miles on it when I sold it this summer after buying a new bike and it was still quiet.

I had noise on my 07 RSV between 50 and 60 miles per hour. didn't matter what gear it was in. I replaced bearings in rear diff. and noise was gone. This was at 20,000 miles. Had a little bit of a chirp from clutch but nothing major. Bike had 122,000 miles on it when I sold it this summer after buying a new bike and it was still quiet.

mine is in any gear and all speeds but only under load. it varies in pitch with rpm

I agree with @cowpuc on the root cause of your engine failure. I've had that happen twice on my '06 and both times got lucky by pulling the plugs and clearing the cylinders. Then a can of seafoam seems to take care of the sticky float problem. I run a can of seafoam through it about twice a year and turn the petcock off after every ride. Knock on wood, that seems to have solved the problem.

As far as the whine goes, my '03 had it bad and changing clutch baskets really didn't help much. Seemed to just change the rpm level of the whine. My '06 doesn't have the whine at all. I've tried a variety of oils and no noticeable change in the engine noises. Pretty much stick to Castrol 20w50 now.

Okay, I just called Bike Bandit and they said that the new clutch basket that I referenced before does not fit the RSV. So, sorry to mislead everyone. Now I do notice that the last four digits are somewhat reversed.

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/detail/yamaha/4xy-16150-09-00/b1200808?m=145047

The RSV part number is not 26H-16150-00-10 but is 26H-16150-10-00. I was assuming they made a mistake on the part number but maybe not. The BB guy could not tell me what the new part number 4XY-16150-09-00 fit?

I got the new part number 4XY-16150-09-00 from an old thread on this site, so beware.

Edited by BlueSky

What I know from the previous owner is:

He tried to start the bike and there was a loud "pop like a backfire" and the engine would not turn over.

He thought the battery was bad and installed a new one with the same result minus the big pop.

Then he took the bike out on the road and tried to jump start it down a steep road and still no go.

What I know from ripping it apart.

There was rust in the right rear cylinder.

right rear connecting rod was bent badly and had hit and cracked the bottom of the cylinder.

What I suppose happened.

They put the bike away for the winter hot and perhaps a bad head gasket weeped enough coolant into the cylinder to cause it to hydraulic

when he tried to start it in the spring.

I agree with cowpuc on the root cause of your engine failure. I've had that happen twice on my '06 and both times got lucky by pulling the plugs and clearing the cylinders. Then a can of seafoam seems to take care of the sticky float problem. I run a can of seafoam through it about twice a year and turn the petcock off after every ride. Knock on wood, that seems to have solved the problem.

As far as the whine goes, my '03 had it bad and changing clutch baskets really didn't help much. Seemed to just change the rpm level of the whine. My '06 doesn't have the whine at all. I've tried a variety of oils and no noticeable change in the engine noises. Pretty much stick to Castrol 20w50 now.

Not to get us off riding The Whine Testing Trail but something just occurred to me that might be prudent.. IMHO, it is not uncommon for rusty fuel tanks to end up being the cause for sticky/stuck float valves. Rust can be so tiny that even the best fuel filter can't capture it but easily get caught up in that little valve. Another thing I think I would do if that purdy scoot were mine @Roadflyer is to drain the tank, leave it open for a day or so so it can dry out and then inspect it internally to check for rust.. If you do this you may want to pay special attention to the roof of the tank.. In the end, even if you find it clean as a whistle,,, you will be starting out knowing you are not running the risk of contaminating your carbs with rust and you will get any garbage out of the bottom of the tank that frequents those places... May be worth a check!!

Not to get us off riding The Whine Testing Trail but something just occurred to me that might be prudent.. IMHO, it is not uncommon for rusty fuel tanks to end up being the cause for sticky/stuck float valves. Rust can be so tiny that even the best fuel filter can't capture it but easily get caught up in that little valve. Another thing I think I would do if that purdy scoot were mine Roadflyer is to drain the tank, leave it open for a day or so so it can dry out and then inspect it internally to check for rust.. If you do this you may want to pay special attention to the roof of the tank.. In the end, even if you find it clean as a whistle,,, you will be starting out knowing you are not running the risk of contaminating your carbs with rust and you will get any garbage out of the bottom of the tank that frequents those places... May be worth a check!!

My first thought when I got the bike was that it caused by a leaky float valve, although, I'm not sure how enough fuel flows through a fuel pump when not running to flood the carbs and a cylinder??

When I actually tore the engine apart and could see the 3/8" rust band on the bad cylinder that was clearly caused by water in the cylinder, I changed my mind.

I inspected the carbs and they were absolutely spotless, I also adjusted the float level to factory specs (not convinced the manual is correct on this though).

The fuel tank was drained and looked at too, It also is spotless.

Just in case, I try to remember to shut the fuel off when I return from a ride.

For now, the bike is under a cover in my shop, and plugged into my Harley tender with the fuel shut off. (for a 6 month sleep)

• 2 weeks later...
Well heck, by the time Winter over we'll have your bike problems solved. All you'll have to do is throw the cover off that bike fix a couple issues and ride it like you stole it. Now aren't you glad you spent that twelve bucks for all this good poop.:biker:

I going to install some 4 piston calipers from a Roadliner on the front, and also install an electric fuel shut off valve on the output side of the fuel pump.

I'm not so sure that the original engine didn't get catastrophically hydro locked from fuel leaking into the intake, so this will shut the fuel off every time I power down (cause I'll forget).

Fyi...I close the petcock after every shutdown. With the tank higher than the carbs, gravity will push the fuel into the carbs if the float sticks.

Good idea about the shut off.

BTW, don't run that beautiful scoot like an HD. Let her rev. She'll pull 6k rpm without batting an eye...

Welcome to the nuthouse!

• 6 months later...

I installed the clutch basket from the original motor and it sounded exactly the same.

I've only ridden the bike a couple hundred miles on the highway. ( just got it on the road a couple days ago)

I found that when riding with the wind, the gear noise sounds quite loud and I find it annoying.

When riding into the wind it really isn't a big deal, not much can be heard over the wind noise.

• 4 months later...