IGNORED

Fuel Filter

I am planning to make a trip this month and was concerned about the fuel filter. The bike was purchased used last year with 19,000 miles. All I can say is "WOW". That has to be the silliest spot for a replaceable item. The filter seemed to be original and clear. How could it be no resistance at all with 23,000 miles? Unless it was not filtering at all.The next replacement will be in a more more convenient location.

I am planning to make a trip this month and was concerned about the fuel filter. The bike was purchased used last year with 19,000 miles. All I can say is "WOW". That has to be the silliest spot for a replaceable item. The filter seemed to be original and clear. How could it be no resistance at all with 23,000 miles? Unless it was not filtering at all.The next replacement will be in a more more convenient location.

Yep, but look at it this way. You're only going to do it one time.... then relocate it.. It is a PITA.... However if it looks clear I wouldn't mess with it.. My '07 has 86K on it and it's still running the unmodified OEM..

I changed the filter out. Then a few months later the pump died. Not related I think, then the whole filter thing changed. But looking back, if I was to do it again I would just mount it by the petcock.

My thought also. It will have to be one with a chrome housing. I look good so the RSV has to look just as good.:cool18::cool18:

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Have been using the same VW bug fuel filter on my Yamaha's. 80 XS 1100 -83 venture -2002 venture -2007 venture. cost is about $4.00 now and never had a problem. The parts stores all carry them and I just throw a year at the counter person and they put it on the counter. Works good and is versatile and frugal.

As others have already stated, the OEM filter location is, at best, inconvenient. Following a tip I read, I removed the OEM and re-located a new clear in-line filter to a vacant spot under the seat...just in front of the battery between to frame tubes. Perfect fit, easy swap and easy to check / replace.

• 1 month later...

I moved mine under the seat, there is a video on You Tube. I also replaced the fuel line it made it much easier to put it where I wanted it for like $5.00 for the line. Now to change the filter I just have to remove the seat.