IGNORED

WW2 Navajo Indian Code Talker display in Kayenta Arizona!!

cowpuc

One our great nations many top notch touring roads that I/we never did get to travel on our motorcycle adventures was the "Wolf Creek Pass" adventure that C.W McCall sang about in one of his famous "truck drivin" songs of yesteryear (sang below for anyone not familiar with those great songs of a time long gone by). With time drawing short in our touring adventure days (geezerdom), we decided it was time to travel that memorable ride on 160 from Walsenburg CO to Yuba City AZ and see if we could find a "feed store in downtown Pagosa Springs" with those infamous truck crash markings on it!! We were not able to locate the feed store ol C.W. sang about but we did find many many other AWESOME things along this "ride".. After spending a couple nights sky gazing in the Rockies and checking out some really cool National Parks and National Monuments, we discovered this incredible Navajo Code Talker display at a Burger King in Kayenta AZ.. Fact is, this BK is owned and operated by the Son of a Code Talker!! What a WONDERFUL way to honor the courage, honor and patriotism of this persons Father!! You ever get out that way, this place is an unforgettable viewing experience!!! A special THANK YOU to all who serve, will serve and did serve!!

Awsome, would love to do that ride sometime. Really enjoy the southwestern parts of America, just Beautiful. Watched a few documentaries on the code talkers, they was very instrumental in the US winning WWII.

BK owned by son of Code Talker, now I know why I like that place.

Have Fun on your adventure, Later-

Awsome, would love to do that ride sometime. Really enjoy the southwestern parts of America, just Beautiful. Watched a few documentaries on the code talkers, they was very instrumental in the US winning WWII.

BK owned by son of Code Talker, now I know why I like that place.

Have Fun on your adventure, Later-

Red, I am not sure how we missed "The Wolf Creek" ride thru all our travels,, just wayyyyyy to many GREAT rides out there I reckon. Arizona is DEFINITELY a treasure waiting to explore for sure and this place along the "160" trail indeed is icing on the cake IMHO = like you, now I know why I love the place too :usa::biker::happy34:! Thanks for enjoying!

Puc, you overwhelm me when you travel. Such delicious videos from military weapons to Navajo code talkers, and not to neglect your many motorcycle trips across the US. You are the greatest. :happy65:

Love you, bro.:bighug:

Eternal brother, Slyvester

:farmer:

Awe,,THANK YOU, and love you too my eternal brother Sly!! Thanks again for taking the time to join Tip, Trooper and I on yet another hair brained, CTFW(s) exploration of the homeland sorts.. Speaking of eternal blessings here Sly,,, following are a few pics from the Code Talker display at BK. I found these letters written to the U.S. Govt from "The Tribe" to just be short of the soothing balm folks like you and I who LOVE God's Word and it's ability to sooth ones soul.. I just could not get away from these letters and read them over and over - SOOO SPIRTUALLY/PATRIOTICALLY BEAUTIFUL:usa:!!

On another page to follow I will put another pic I took in the parking lot of the BK. That pic actually brought TEARS to my eyes when I saw the sign shown in the picture!! The son of the Code Talker who owns the BK DEFINITELY "gets it" concerning what America is suppose to be all about,, cannot wait to show it to you to see if it has the same affect on you as it had on me!!

Here are the pics of the letters that held my pea brain spell bound with love for God and Country - I will do the parking lot sign pic on a different page to keep my easily confused geezer brain from goin bonkers:backinmyday:!

p1.jpgp2.jpgp3.jpgp4.jpgp5.jpgp6.jpgP8.jpg

Red, I am not sure how we missed "The Wolf Creek" ride thru all our travels,, just wayyyyyy to many GREAT rides out there I reckon. Arizona is DEFINITELY a treasure waiting to explore for sure and this place along the "160" trail indeed is icing on the cake IMHO = like you, now I know why I love the place too :usa::biker::happy34:! Thanks for enjoying!

Awe,,THANK YOU, and love you too my eternal brother Sly!! Thanks again for taking the time to join Tip, Trooper and I on yet another hair brained, CTFW(s) exploration of the homeland sorts.. Speaking of eternal blessings here Sly,,, following are a few pics from the Code Talker display at BK. I found these letters written to the U.S. Govt from "The Tribe" to just be short of the soothing balm folks like you and I who LOVE God's Word and it's ability to sooth ones soul.. I just could not get away from these letters and read them over and over - SOOO SPIRTUALLY/PATRIOTICALLY BEAUTIFUL:usa:!!

On another page to follow I will put another pic I took in the parking lot of the BK. That pic actually brought TEARS to my eyes when I saw the sign shown in the picture!! The son of the Code Talker who owns the BK DEFINITELY "gets it" concerning what America is suppose to be all about,, cannot wait to show it to you to see if it has the same affect on you as it had on me!!

Here are the pics of the letters that held my pea brain spell bound with love for God and Country - I will do the parking lot sign pic on a different page to keep my easily confused geezer brain from goin bonkers:backinmyday:!

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=117777https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=117778https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=117779https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=117780https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=117781https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=117782https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=117783

Scott, that is truly a message from a group of patriots. Thank you so much for this post.

So much has changed since common sense leaders influenced the populus. :clap2:

Slyvester aka "your eternal brother".

and then CHECK THIS OUT and READ IT CAREFULLY!! IMHO,, the Son of the Code Talker who owns the BK where he proudly honors his fathers commitment to our way of life CLEARLY gets it!! :usa::usa::usa:

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=117784

I have worked with local charities concerning homeless persons and every one says the same thing. "DO NOT GIVE THEM MONEY" since this only enables their addictions. I have tried to buy them food, offered shelter and fed their dogs but the bottom line is that they need proffessional help.

Again I give you many thanks for this post. Can I use this with the local charities?

Slyvester

I have worked with local charities concerning homeless persons and every one says the same thing. "DO NOT GIVE THEM MONEY" since this only enables their addictions. I have tried to buy them food, offered shelter and fed their dogs but the bottom line is that they need proffessional help.

Again I give you many thanks for this post. Can I use this with the local charities?

Slyvester

You are more than welcome Sly, always enjoy the dialog!! You have my permission to use anything I post in your involvement with assisting the Lord's work in assisting charities or whatever.. Hope it helps in some small way!! Sad thing this homeless mess is, heartbreaking to say the least. My take and the soul touching side of the sign for was/is the part where it says on the sign "Help Our Community" = definitely shows where the owner of the BK's heart is at IMHO..

God Bless my eternal brother!

Puc

I was born and raised in northern Ohio and when I started working in downtown Cleveland I would give change or a few bucks to some of the beggars. Later their was a push to stop giving cash so I started offering to buy meals to those who asked for money. At the time I was in my mid 20's and I was shocked when all of them turned me down. In 14 years only 4 took me up on my offer. My daughter worked at a convenient store that was throwing away sandwiches 1-2 days before they expired knowing they wouldn't sell. She talked the manager into letter her have them and she 'made' me take them into downtown. I would hand out 15 - 20 sandwiches in a week. This was more effective but I still watched some throw them away without even looking at them. After moving to Houston 14 years ago I still do the same thing, offering to buy a meal. It's sad to say that even fewer have taken me up on it. I've pretty much given up on this.

On the positive side, Cleveland had a news paper called the Homeless Grapevine. There was a regular guy selling this paper and I stopped to talk to him several times. The deal with the paper was simple. They would buy the paper for for .50 and sell it for a dollar. They just had to sign an agreement with the publisher that they would use the money for housing and food. No alcohol or drugs. He was just a guy that was down on his luck, a vet who had lost his job, his house and his family as his wife had left him. I bought that paper from him any time I saw him. I hadn't seen him for a year or so when I ran into him on the street. He was in dress clothes minus the tie, had found a job and was mostly back on his feet. He gave credit to that paper. As he put it, that paper and the associated agreement saved his life. He was a man of commitment and he signed that agreement, that commitment.

What an amazing place!! I did watch your video when you first posted and just now getting around to commenting... Welcome back BTW... :-)

During your tour I kept looking for an aerial camera and didn't see anything. Then finally during one of your video pans I caught the glimpse of one on a display shelf... And here I was gonna brag that I had something that they didn't.... Theirs was more modern, but a camera none the less. Mine was converted into a lamp by the previous owner.. A 4x5 K-20 Army Air Corp model. I've owned it for 35 years, and every once in a while think about listing it on Craigslist... but it never happens. I never served... too tall etc., but married an Air Force Brat from an AF Family. Father in Law and both Bro in Laws served from WWII to Desert Storm. With two of them being 'lifers'.. MOF My oldest B-i-L's MOS was munitions and had quite a life. Full Bird Colonel Ret.

Back when I worked for the Gun Co. I was driving South on Hwy395 just north of Reno. While going by Herlong Ammo Depot I had the pleasure of watching them blow up expired ordinance off against the mountains that flanked the depot to the east.. It was an incredible sight... Some of those baby's were huge!! A lot of folks don't know it, but inside the army base there is actually an AFB training facility where they build bombs. My wife and I were guests at one of the graduating cermonies where my BiL gave the graduating speach. It was kinda cool. He started off with a cheer.. Gimme a 'A'.. Gimme an 'M'.. Gimme another 'M', Gimme an 'O'.. What does it spell?? AMMO!! If you ain't got AMMO... you ain't got shlt... You can emagine a room full of 60 men giving it their all... Needless to say it was humorous and inspiring... :-) Some of those men might have built some of that ordinance in Keyenta...

Again I really enjoyed the video... One thing... We need to get you a mono-pod... :-) :whistling:

Thanks for the great travel report.

I discovered that display at the BurgerKing in 2005. Best kept secret of American hero’s.

They have gotten a little recognition but not as much as they deserved.

VentureFar...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are more than welcome my brother,, and thank you for the compliment on the reporting!! You definitely hit the nail on the head on that one my friend, not unlike other minority groups who laid it all on the line in defense of our way of life, those Code Talkers really got shorted on recognition they deserved but (as you know cause you saw the same display) thankfully there are those who are not shy about making sure they are not forgotten.

What a reminder of the price of the freedom we still enjoy to this very day!!

What an amazing place!! I did watch your video when you first posted and just now getting around to commenting... Welcome back BTW... :-)

During your tour I kept looking for an aerial camera and didn't see anything. Then finally during one of your video pans I caught the glimpse of one on a display shelf... And here I was gonna brag that I had something that they didn't.... Theirs was more modern, but a camera none the less. Mine was converted into a lamp by the previous owner.. A 4x5 K-20 Army Air Corp model. I've owned it for 35 years, and every once in a while think about listing it on Craigslist... but it never happens. I never served... too tall etc., but married an Air Force Brat from an AF Family. Father in Law and both Bro in Laws served from WWII to Desert Storm. With two of them being 'lifers'.. MOF My oldest B-i-L's MOS was munitions and had quite a life. Full Bird Colonel Ret.

Back when I worked for the Gun Co. I was driving South on Hwy395 just north of Reno. While going by Herlong Ammo Depot I had the pleasure of watching them blow up expired ordinance off against the mountains that flanked the depot to the east.. It was an incredible sight... Some of those baby's were huge!! A lot of folks don't know it, but inside the army base there is actually an AFB training facility where they build bombs. My wife and I were guests at one of the graduating cermonies where my BiL gave the graduating speach. It was kinda cool. He started off with a cheer.. Gimme a 'A'.. Gimme an 'M'.. Gimme another 'M', Gimme an 'O'.. What does it spell?? AMMO!! If you ain't got AMMO... you ain't got shlt... You can emagine a room full of 60 men giving it their all... Needless to say it was humorous and inspiring... :-) Some of those men might have built some of that ordinance in Keyenta...

Again I really enjoyed the video... One thing... We need to get you a mono-pod... :-) :whistling:

Heyyyy ya lop eared fellow Butter Nut :fnd_(16): loving varmint,, THANKS for the welcome home and THANKS for following up on this latest :photographing: barage!! :thumbsup:

Pretty cool stuff INDEED!! I had a gut feeling that if anyone would have a lamp made out of an army tank or M1 Garand turned into a garage door opener it would be YOU :big-grin-emoticon::missingtooth:

Glad you enjoyed following along brother and thanks for compliments!! By the way,,, not sure a mono pod would help,,, sort of like the bi-pods on my AR's that never get folded down, been doing the old one handed videoing routine for a long time now and I would probably poke my eye out with a mono pod attached to my camera at this point :happy-emoticon:

Hey Jack,, was just :Im not listening to with my daughter who is your neighbor,,, she was telling me about the "Giant Pumpkin Contest" that was held in Elk Grove recently,,, ever hear of it? They had one of great big ol California pumpkins come in at just under 2000 pounds :scared:!! She said that my little one year old grandson laughed histarically at one of the big ones that the gutted out and then paddled around "the pond" like a row boat :scared:!! I should of stayed another month cause THAT woulda made some AWESOME VR footage!!!!!!!!!!

There ain't no feed store in Pagosa Springs!

This is an inside family joke and it tickles me that you found our little secret!

I will definitely add the Code Talker display and the Wolf Creek run to bucket list.

Got that right brother,,, I searched all over the place and never ever did find one!! Came to the conclusion that a Semi Truck ran it over and they never did rebuild it :big-grin-emoticon:

We stayed over night up on "The Divide at Wolf Creek Pass" = mountain lion and elk tracks all over up there!!!!!:thumbsup: AMAZING PLACE in and of itself!! The Code Talker display was icing on the cake!!

I’ve been thru there three times but didn’t slow down. I will have to check it out if I get back out there. Have you ridden the Moki Dugway on Hwy 261 just west of Mexican Hat? What a view!! Really enjoyed meeting you and talking with you at MD this year. I wish I had attended years ago [emoji41]

I’ve been thru there three times but didn’t slow down. I will have to check it out if I get back out there. Have you ridden the Moki Dugway on Hwy 261 just west of Mexican Hat? What a view!! Really enjoyed meeting you and talking with you at MD this year. I wish I had attended years ago [emoji41]

Oh I stand corrected [emoji849]my Bride reminded me that we did indeed stop at that Burger King while on a youth mission trip 15 years ago. I don’t remember much about it because I was busy chaperoning a bunch of good teenagers. She remembers seeing the display. I hope to go back.

Pleasure meeting you too brother,, that Meet n Greet/MD stuff is a blast = putting faces with names = GOOD STUFF!!! Nooo,, never did ride The Hat, now that you mention it and I jumped on to Maps to get a peek = DEFINITELY will do and appreciate the inspiration!! We have done a fair amount of Moab (both on and off road)/Canyon Lands NP and Capital Reefs NP thru the years but just never Ventured down to Mexican Hat to play.. Matter of fact, to this point (THANK YOU TNT FOR THIS) had never even heard of it BUT have now!!

Another one mentioned to us by a fellow tourer that we bumped into at Mesa Verde NP (WOW) is a place called "Telluride?" up above Silverton CO.. Sounded like quite a joint so maybe on our next adVenture, Tip/Trooper and I will chase em both down!! Soooooo many GREAT CTFW(s) opportunities - enough to last a life time :big-grin-emoticon: