IGNORED

Saddle Bag Electronic Lock Failure

3 weeks ago I used the electronic system to unlock my saddle bag and it would not unlock. Tried using the key like the manaul stated without luck. Took to the local dealer who tried and called Yamaha. Short story is if the clip that holds the selenoid is not placed correctly during manufacture or if it becomes dislodged in any why the selenoid will drop out of place and the only way to get into the saddlebag involves using a saw to cut the top of the bag away where the locking mechanism attaches.

Fortunately this was a warrantee repair, otherwise it would have run over $1000 including labor! Unfortunately parts took nearly two weeks.

The dealership informed me that Yamaha has had a few issues with this.

• 4 weeks later...

I ran into the same problem on the way to Americade last year. The right saddlebag wouldn't open & I couldn't get to my clothes (fortunately my wife's clothes were in the left saddlebag). We left on a Saturday, and the problem started that night. We didn't get it fixed until Wednesday because when we arrived Monday, the nearest Yamaha dealer was closed Mondays. When Americade started Tuesday, I went to the Yamaha display and Adrian (Yamaha rep) knew of the problem and expedited the parts overnight. He ordered the parts for both locks because I started having problems w/ opening the left side. The local Yamaha service dept took me in right away Wednesday and repaired both sides. It was weird to see the new right saddlebag get cut open w/ a sawall and hole saw.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

My suggestion to all to if you have one fail make them replace both saddlebag locks... My left Saddle bag lock just failed today. Called my local Yamaha dealer and they will try to get the parts expedited from Yamaha on Monday...

If Yamaha knows this is an issue why aren't they dealing with it better?