IGNORED

Long distance Grandfathering 101..

cowpuc

Earlier in the summer, on another cross country excursion, I took advantage of the GORGEOUS California sunshine and got an old "Yerf Dog" go cart running for my Grandson in California.. He had made comment during that time, after riding it for a couple days, that his Birthday present of choice for the one he had coming up in September would be some awesome lighting for his ride!! His dad and I went together and purchased lighting and I took a couple days installing them. FUN PROJECT and even FUNNER times Grandfathering my offspring!!

It was not until I got "out west" that we discovered "the machine" needed more than just lights though. What good is a go-cart with fancy lights if it doesn't run - right? So after building the harnesses and installing the lights, I set about figuring out why no putt putt (a HUGE thank you to my son for working till 4 a.m. getting that puppy going). Was this ol lop eared geezer varmint able to get er done? Check out the Parts 2 and 3 of this series to find out!!

HI JOSHUA!!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY YOUNG MAN!!

Earlier in the year I discovered that the previous owner of the Yerf had put the metering rod spring in the carb in on the wrong side of the retainer and was able to get this thing fired up for the summer by straightening that out. My son purchased a new carb (15 bucks) for it at that time so I went ahead and installed that during our stay at this time.

Turned out the little 150cc Chinese "GY6" scooter motor in this puppy only produced 30 pounds of compression on the tester - ahh ohh..

Pre dragging the engine out and replacing it with a 20 horse V-Twin from Harbor Freight, I went ahead and pulled the valve rocker cover on the critter to see what kind of valve lash adjustment it had or didn't have and was pleasantly shocked to see that the Chinese had chosen to follow Honda in adjustment engineering!! Reset the valves and the beast fired right up!!!!! My son said it NEVER ran this good LOL

• 2 weeks later...