IGNORED

Valve Adjustment Recomendation

Red Ryder

Hey all, enjoy working on my bike, but feel that a Valve Adjustment is a bit more than I want to do.

The bike shops within 30 miles of me are either months behind on everything or I feel inadequate to do this work on my bike.

Not in a hurry, could be a winter project, but wondering if anyone in Michigan would recommend a mechanic that has done Valve Adjustments?

Thanks-

Valve adjustment is not rocket science, take the covers off (hard part) then follow instructions like turn the engine until the cams line up as per instructions, use feeler gauge to measure clearance, again easy instructions, turn the engine again and again and again and then some more until you get all the specs written down, Then, per instructions figure out the ones that are off and whether they are tight or loose and then get a supply of shims from your local dealer maybe, to compliment the ones you might need. Put the covers back on (harder part)

Really not all that hard, but can be very time consuming, but if you relax and plan for a few hours of time, quite a nice project and can be done by me, so you can do it. Hey, your are not designing or building anything here, you are just taking apart something somebody else put together and then putting it back again,,,easy pezzy.

Valve adjustment is not rocket science, take the covers off (hard part) then follow instructions like turn the engine until the cams line up as per instructions, use feeler gauge to measure clearance, again easy instructions, turn the engine again and again and again and then some more until you get all the specs written down, Then, per instructions figure out the ones that are off and whether they are tight or loose and then get a supply of shims from your local dealer maybe, to compliment the ones you might need. Put the covers back on (harder part)

Really not all that hard, but can be very time consuming, but if you relax and plan for a few hours of time, quite a nice project and can be done by me, so you can do it. Hey, your are not designing or building anything here, you are just taking apart something somebody else put together and then putting it back again,,,easy pezzy.

Thank You Carl, maybe I can do this. Thought more complicated.

Still wouldn't mind a good mechanic, just in case.

Sure you can do this. As mentioned it is very time consuming and that makes it seam hard to do. But it is a very straight forward job. It is the time consuming part that makes it expensive at a stealer, and people equate expensive with hard to do.

If you contact @skydoc_17 he has a kit with assorted shims and the special tool you will need as a free loaner if you buy the gasket set from him, He also is a wealth of knowledge on these bikes and has reasonable prices.

Sure you can do this. As mentioned it is very time consuming and that makes it seam hard to do. But it is a very straight forward job. It is the time consuming part that makes it expensive at a stealer, and people equate expensive with hard to do.

If you contact @skydoc_17 he has a kit with assorted shims and the special tool you will need as a free loaner if you buy the gasket set from him, He also is a wealth of knowledge on these bikes and has reasonable prices.

Most Appreciated Jeff, Thank You,

Later-

• 1 month later...

….. this sounds easier than the book describes. pull the tank, seats, air induction box, carburetor's of course the head cowlings, cylinder head stays, coolant hose,drain coolant and all this at room temperature what is room temperature? does all this stuff have to come off?

Yes, pull those parts, drain coolant before pulling the hose. I strongly recommend using one of the kits available, I used Skydoc's last year. He icluded a couple of tools that made pulling the shims easier. Having the kit meant I didn't have to go thru measuring and recording clearances. I would measure and immediately change that shim going thru the cycle one time. Once they were done I spun the engine, then double and triple checked clearances. It made the process much easier and quicker. If you have the tools and a little experience using them along with the instructions downloaded here it's not a bad job. Good Allen wrenches, screwdrivers, and sockets help, I also used some universal joint sockets in a few places. One tip: Do NOT spin the engine without a shim in every bucket, there are stories here of some doing that with bad bad things happening.

don't make it overly complicated. The carbs do not have to be pulled unless you want to.

That's correct but it was worth it to me to have the extra space to work. Big hands in tight spaces is hard on an old man 😬😬. Make sure to cover the intakes or carbs to keep trash or dropped parts out.