IGNORED

Tire tread question

JBeierDC

I have been looking at the Dunlop Elite 4 tires for my 09 RSTD. One thing I noticed looking at the pictures, is that the front tire has a channel all the way around the tire, right in the center, with the other grooves not quite coming all the way towards it - where the back tire has no center channel, and the grooves from the side slightly overlap the center in alternating placement.

I'm looking at this and thinking 'less contact in my upright riding position for the front tire' and 'wont a straight channel like that grab grooves on the road?'

Am I overthinking this? Or on the other hand they make a rear tire that would fit my front... How bad would that be?

For the last 15k miles I've had a michalin Commander 2 rear and Dunlop 404 front - had been thinking to get matching tires this next time around, and hoping that E4's rain handling will be better than my previous rear. Thoughts/Advice? Thanks in advance

I have run front tires with tread patterns like that on a couple bikes and felt they were OK. For me the MC 2 was the best rear tire. I had a Dunlap E 3 when I bought the bike, and never felt comfortable with it in wet for sure. And it picked up a howl in corners after awhile. I ran a Shinko 230 I think it was and it was OK for the $$.

This won't be of much help directly.

I've had a couple of sets of E3s that did very well. I preferred the Avon Venoms for handling, but at that time they suffered sidewall cracking, so I changed to the Dunlops. Right now I'm waiting on delivery of a set of E4s.

I'm really counting on reputation combined with past experience with the E3s.

When I still had my 2007 RSMV I ran the E3's. The front was always cupping bad by 20,000 miles and I would replace. Got to thinking that I had got 20,000 miles out of the original D4 that was on the bike. I switched back to the D4 on the front and they were a lot less money than the E3. I felt they had about the same performance. I also tried different tires on the back and ended up using the Shinko 777hd. This is a pretty good tire but only has about half the life span of an E3. But the Shinko was a lot less money than the E3 and replacing rubber on these bikes is no big deal as I do my own. Have fun exploring your tire options.

The Shinko 230's have that same groove. I have no handling issues with those tires on both front and rear on my 1st gen. I keep air up to within 2 to 4 lbs of max sidewall listing depending upon load. They don't have the wear life but handle well.

I now have a Shinko 230 on the rear of my RSV due to a nail in Chicago area. Had Shinko 777HD's on front and rear. 777HDs wears longer and still has good ride and handling in rain! I'm personally sold on Shinkos. Don't mind having to change tires more often as it's also a good time to grease the rear end and check everything out like brakes.

I have been running a set of Elite 4s on my 07 Goldwing since early March. 7000 miles on them now and they still look like new. Good traction on wet or dry pavement. I rode from Ohio to Phoenix to Las Vegas and back to Ohio and didn't notice them following grooves in the pavement.

Last week, I just put another sent of E3's on my 2003 Midnight.

The shop I have used has always been good with tires for my Sporty. So I went to them as usual.

Two weeks ago I ordered a set of E4s and then I got a call back from the owner stating, "The E4's have a national back order with no estimated time of delivery." In need of tires, I went with the E3's again.

E3's came on the bike when I purchased it in 2017. I replaced the rear tire after the first day that I rode it, due to a nail that I picked up (a 250 mile ride). Shortly after replacing the rear tire in 2017, I had a flat front tire while getting off of I-90... It was a bad valve stem. The Indy shop replaced the broken stem with a 90 degree valve stem.

Last week, with the new tires on, I rode to work only to have a front tire go flat 40 miles up the road from home (the same place along I-90 as the first time)... Valve stem again!!!

This time I looked up the front tire valve stem online, only to find that I had been running the last 19,500 miles with the WRONG VALVE STEM!!! The unseen mercies of God!!! I plan to ride to TN in October and hit the Dragon's Tail one of day's that I'm down there. Thankful for being near home when the stem went and not on a leaning curve!!!

Local Yamha dealer replaced the valve stem with the proper one (Tr 412) and rebalanced the tire for under $21. I've always done my own work, barring mount and balance...

Lesson learned: If I'm taking the time to turn a wrench by the book, I also need be sure that valve stems are replaced with what the bike's engineers call for.

Bottom line, I've been happy with the E3'S and have rode many miles in the rain with full confidence. Granted, I do know the roads well (no low spots with standing water) on my almost 90 mile round trip to and from work.

My next set will be the E4.

Ride safe and check those valve stems!!!

Shaka brah

Edited by Surfrider
Not real keyboard, smart phone in dumb hands w/ out his cheaters on

I have been looking at the Dunlop Elite 4 tires for my 09 RSTD. One thing I noticed looking at the pictures, is that the front tire has a channel all the way around the tire, right in the center, with the other grooves not quite coming all the way towards it - where the back tire has no center channel, and the grooves from the side slightly overlap the center in alternating placement.

I'm looking at this and thinking 'less contact in my upright riding position for the front tire' and 'wont a straight channel like that grab grooves on the road?'

Am I overthinking this? Or on the other hand they make a rear tire that would fit my front... How bad would that be?

For the last 15k miles I've had a michalin Commander 2 rear and Dunlop 404 front - had been thinking to get matching tires this next time around, and hoping that E4's rain handling will be better than my previous rear. Thoughts/Advice? Thanks in advance

@JBeierDC

I have been running a set of E4's front and back since the beginning of last summer and I love them. As far as road contact goes keep in mind during cornering or even weaving the center of the tire barely touchs the road. on the other hand what the groove does do in wet weather it reduces the chances of aqua-planing when you hit them puddles (depending on the size of the puddle of course). I find these tires handle twisties nicely ride well on wet roads and go over road snakes like they are not even there. they also have good stopping grip which for me is a bonus. (keep in mind the better the stopping grip the harder it is to lock up your wheel but boy do you slow down fast) When time comes to replace them it will definitely be another set of E4's. I had E3's Prior to these and as much as I liked the E3's I like the E4's even better. and the wear well so far I am getting good millage out of them. At this rate I expect to get a couple more good ridding seasons out of them. I run my Tires at 40 PSI as Dunlap recommends.They suggest ignoring the OEM spec since those specs were based on the tires that were available at the time. Plus my bike is often loaded down with camping gear for those long trips.

Edited by saddlebum

Man new tires take some getting use to. Got the new treads on the bike, new brake pads on rear and a fluid flush/bleed. First trip around block and to get out of the subdivision I have a couple round abouts. Man I thought the bike was gonna tip over. It almost felt like I was on a 1" ledge and tip over to the sidewalls was a couple inches. Sure wasnt ready for that. I didnt think the center of the old tire was wore that flat. LOL