IGNORED

Clutch woes

Hey all! So I’m fairly certain on what my clutch issue is, just wanted to run it by you all and hopefully I’m going in the right direction with my troubleshooting. So first of all, the issue is hard shifting, bike rolls forward in gear with clutch lever pulled in. Recently replaced both clutch and front brake master cylinder and handle assemblies. After replacement, bled the brake and clutch with no issues. Bike worked great for a little while, then noticed it was hard to shift from 1st to 2nd and dang near impossible to get into neutral. My thought at first was maybe there was still some air trapped in the system, so I bled again at the master cylinder and at the slave cylinder. Holy crap there was a ton of air in there! Seemed like the bleeder screw on the slave was having a bit of axial play possibly letting air in while bleeding which could be why I was getting so many dang air bubbles. So with that being said, I am suspecting a bad slave cylinder based on the symptoms. Perhaps someone on here knows where I can get a new slave cylinder? I would feel much better about replacing it versus a rebuild. It’s a bit of a pain to do which is why I’d like a new one rather than rebuilding it. Thanks all!

I believe the part number you need is 1FK-16381-11-00. Google it, check the pictures, many places including Amazon. I replaced mine on my 83 a few years back. Getting air out is certainly a task. I 2X have tied the clutch back, left sit overnight and it was air free. Others have technically debunked that, saying that is not possible. You have nothing to lose.

PM skydoc_17.

You might as well replace the rubber hoses in the clutch line and Earl (skydoc_17)makes a kit for that purpose. He will have the engine cover gaskets and the crush washer for you too.

I'd also take a look at the area where the stator wires come through the front engine case and seal that up if it looks like it's leaking, and it probably is.

I'd also invest in a cheap, Harbor Freight vacuum bleed pump. They take most of the hassle out of bleeding the clutch system.

Thanks for the info spencer! That is the correct part number and partszilla has it new. I’ve heard of others bleeding air out by tieing the lever. Not sure if it works but you’re right, not like I’ll lose anything by trying it. Now to get that middle gear cover off and get that old bugger out.

That’s a good idea about replacing the hoses while I’m that far into it. I sent skydoc a pm asking about it. Oil is changed on a regular interval so I donut it could be old oil causing this. I suspect the slave cyl is leaking but won’t really be sure until I take it out. Perhaps it is leaking internally past the seal and I cannot see it until it is removed. Anyhow I think nearly 40 years of being worked finally took its toll on that slave cyl. Than you everyone on your input, I’ll keep you all posted on how things turn out.

Got the slave cyl out and removed the hose that connects to the slave cyl. Looks to me like both were leaking, the hose right at the banjo fitting and the slave cyl was showing signs of leaking and the rubber parts were brittle and cracked. Wasn’t too difficult to remove, took me about a half hour to take everything off. Thought it was going to be harder than it turned out to be. It’s nice when things happen that way :cool10:

Any of the 1st Gen Ventures, no matter what the year, should have replaced the hydraulic hoses for the clutch and brakes even if they arent leaking as they have to be soft and springy by now. You are loosing a lot of your force as the hoses are expanding and not transferring the pressure to the end device. I replaced mine about 6 years ago with the steel braided kit and it was surprising how much better the brakes and clutch functioned when applying them.

Rebuilding the master cylinders isn't that tough of a job and is well worth the time to do it also. I also use a Harbor Freight brake bleeder and vacuum pump kit to assist in the bleeding. https://www.harborfreight.com/brake-bleeder-and-vacuum-pump-kit-63391.html

Good luck.

Rick F.

• 3 months later...

All is well! Got the new slave cylinder in and had a local hydraulic shop make the hose I needed. Got it all back together and works great! Bled a few times to be sure all the air is out of the system. After I test drove it and was sure everything is working the way it should, took a weekend trip up to the hills and when I got back noticed the water pump leaking coolant out of the weep hole(small amount luckily) and decided to replace the front tire since riding season is about done and the local cycle gear was having a sale. Got everything taken apart and parts ordered. Got the gaskets, seals, bearing, o rings and new elbow tube from partszilla and a new upgraded metal impeller off eBay. Old impeller wasn’t in too bad of shape, just a crack right under the seal. Speaking of seals, same thing happened to the water pump seals, extremely brittle! I’m surprised at the minuscule amount of coolant leakage due to the condition of the seals. All the seals came out in pieces. Cleaned up the water pump cover and housing while waiting for parts to arrive. Wasn’t too hard of a job to do, just followed what it said to do in the manual and watched a couple YouTube videos. Parts for the water pump and the new front tire took about a week to come in. Got everything put back together in a few hours and went for a 20 minute test ride. No leaks and everything works great!