IGNORED

So I go to my primary care physician

uhfradarwill

I complained of feeling like crap for two months and I've lost 35 pounds in 40 days.

My PcP says, well you still have a gut.

I leave thing my lifestyle, smoking is it, don't worry about it.

Thursday I feel like death is knocking on my door.

I make a same day appointment with a different doc.

My blood sugar is 510 and they diagnose diabetes.

Now I have to learn to eat correctly.

What a pain in the ass!!!!!!

BTW I'm 6'1" and now weigh 180lbs

I know someone who had a similar problem (although he didn't go to his PcP). He looked so bad his daughter demanded he get in the car and she drove him to the emergency room.

He's mostly quit smoking and cut way back on the beer. Now he looks 20 years younger.

It sounds like it's also time for a new PcP.

Good luck!

35 lbs in 40 days is pretty excessive. IIRC 3 lbs a week is about max safe wt loss, anything more and there is likely muscular atrophy and extra water loss. I work in geriatrics so my first concern would be dehydration, then on to the other stuff. Age is a big factor too.

I agree you will benefit from replacing your physician. He/she should have caught that as just a matter of reviewing your routine blood work, which would be one of the first things he would do when you present with such symptoms, or even just a routine checkup. You might want to have a look at your A1C which might shed some light on how new this issue really is. It could have been present but asymptomatic for some time. It's alarming that your Dr. blew off some of those things you told him, he's lucky I'm not your nurse or he and I would be having a dialog with some unhappiness. That much weight loss should have been a big red flag for a medical professional to hear.

Luckily adult onset/Type II is often treatable with just diet and exercise, maybe an oral med. Did they give you a sit down and cover management of DM? If not then do get one soon. If I may, keeping a food diary if all you eat is an amazing tool for managing DM. Keep that with your blood sugars and have it with you for the Dr to see. The food diary is more for you, but the blood sugars should show a pattern going forward and help you/Dr develop a plan of attack. DM requires a plan of care, if even a simple one with little more than monitoring blood sugars and maintaining your weight, which is probably now right about where it should be. The good news is this is one of the more treatable things of all the neat stuff we can come down with. I'm glad this was caught finally and I hope you get to feeling better very soon.

35 lbs in 40 days is pretty excessive. IIRC 3 lbs a week is about max safe wt loss, anything more and there is likely muscular atrophy and extra water loss. I work in geriatrics so my first concern would be dehydration, then on to the other stuff. Age is a big factor too.

I agree you will benefit from replacing your physician. He/she should have caught that as just a matter of reviewing your routine blood work, which would be one of the first things he would do when you present with such symptoms, or even just a routine checkup. You might want to have a look at your A1C which might shed some light on how new this issue really is. It could have been present but asymptomatic for some time. It's alarming that your Dr. blew off some of those things you told him, he's lucky I'm not your nurse or he and I would be having a dialog with some unhappiness. That much weight loss should have been a big red flag for a medical professional to hear.

Luckily adult onset/Type II is often treatable with just diet and exercise, maybe an oral med. Did they give you a sit down and cover management of DM? If not then do get one soon. If I may, keeping a food diary if all you eat is an amazing tool for managing DM. Keep that with your blood sugars and have it with you for the Dr to see. The food diary is more for you, but the blood sugars should show a pattern going forward and help you/Dr develop a plan of attack. DM requires a plan of care, if even a simple one with little more than monitoring blood sugars and maintaining your weight, which is probably now right about where it should be. The good news is this is one of the more treatable things of all the neat stuff we can come down with. I'm glad this was caught finally and I hope you get to feeling better very soon.

Thanks Casey, that was very helpful. After 4 days on Metformin my numbers are almost in the 260 range every time I check. Still pretty high but at least I feel better. I think the doc I saw wants to see how I do after a week or so.

I'm going to have to learn what A1C numbers but here is what my test results say it is: [TABLE=class: components, width: 100%]

[TR="class: odd, bgcolor: #FFFFFF "]

[TD=class: nameCol srchbl]Hemoglobin A1C[/TD]

[TD=class: valueCol]12.4 % of total Hgb

Thanks for the info again.

Will[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Thanks Casey, that was very helpful. After 4 days on Metformin my numbers are almost in the 260 range every time I check. Still pretty high but at least I feel better. I think the doc I saw wants to see how I do after a week or so.

I'm going to have to learn what A1C numbers but here is what my test results say it is: [TABLE=class: components, width: 100%]

[TR=class: odd]

[TD=class: nameCol srchbl]Hemoglobin A1C[/TD]

[TD=class: valueCol]12.4 % of total Hgb

Thanks for the info again.

Will[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

an A1C of 12.4 is very high, 4-5.5 is normal-ish for non-diabetics. I'm sure your new Dr. is taking it slow because if he tries to lower your sugars to fast it can bottom you out and a low blood sugar can turn into a medical emergency right quick. Now that your on meds for it you may get a little low. Until your used to it it's a good idea to carry a travel glucomemer and a few pieces of hard candy just in case your away from home and start to feel not right. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diabetic-coma/symptoms-causes/syc-20371475

I'm glad your new Dr is approaching this with a conservative pace. The A1C pretty much just tells you/him how your sugars have been over the last few months. https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/a1c-test/about/pac-20384643 . Slowly they will come down as your sugars begin to normalize and you/he sort out what works for you. If I may suggest one of those medical bracelets, it could be a literal life saver. Your healthy weight is going to work in your favor. I linked a little reading from Mayo Clinic because they are a good source of reliable information. Do some reading if you have not already, it's good stuff to know. Very glad that your on the right path, sounds like this physician is a little sharper than the last one :happy34:.

I have been dealing with type 2 diabetes for the last 40 years. My last A1C was 7.7 and the thing that has helped the most is getting the Dexcom 6 meter that uses a stick on sensor and transmitter for the unit. It takes a reading every five minutes and you can set low and high limits to warn you where you are. It will also warn you if you are dropping too fast, even if you are still in the good range. This is not the Libra unit you put on your arm and have to manually push a button and put the receiver next to it. This one you just need to be within 20 to 30 feet for it to read. I am not suggesting you need one of these units right now, but just to tell others about the Dexcom 6. This is also covered by the VA if you use them.

As far as smoking, I am currently working with a very close friend of 40 years with lung cancer. A year ago he was very healthy feeling and now he can barely walk hooked up to an oxygen tube. Of all my vices, I am so glad that tobacco was never one of them

Randy