IGNORED

Gas smell when riding

Toeman

I have a 2008 rsv purchased last year with 20K miles on it. I pulled the carbs and

cleaned all parts including jets,ect. The carbs were synced and the bike has run great since then.

last week, went in a several hour ride and noticed I could smell gas while riding. I can not see gas leaking anywhere,

but can smell gas on the left side of the bike. Bike seems to run ok but in checking gas mileage I am getting mid to high 30’s instead of mid 40’s that I usually see.

I would appreciate any advice you can give me.

thank you,

Have you noticed a loss of power? I've had problems twice with second gens where a coil went bad resulting in it running on only 3 cylinders. Runs surprisingly smooth, just some loss of horse power, worse gas mileage and gas smell.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Do you notice any gas dripping on the ground while idling. Not sure if this is a common symptom on 2nd Gens but on !st gens this is usually indicates a needle and seat stuck open causing the float bowl to overfill and come out the overflow tubes and leak onto the ground. Usually only leaks at idle because at high rpms the engine uses up the surplus gas. The carbs do not actually have a choke they have an enrichment valve one for each carb if one of these sticks open it will enrich or even flood your engine. The plunger is accessible form out side the carb and you can check it for freedom of movement with your finger without removing the carb. A misfiring cylinder is another possibility but usually you will feel it missing. you can also check exhaust pipes for a cold or cooller one (best done when 1st starting the bike and then montering the pipe temps

Have you noticed a loss of power? I've had problems twice with second gens where a coil went bad resulting in it running on only 3 cylinders. Runs surprisingly smooth, just some loss of horse power, worse gas mileage and gas smell.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Thank you, I will check on this, I assume I will have one exhaust pipe that stays cold.

Do you notice any gas dripping on the ground while idling. Not sure if this is a common symptom on 2nd Gens but on !st gens this is usually indicates a needle and seat stuck open causing the float bowl to overfill and come out the overflow tubes and leak onto the ground. Usually only leaks at idle because at high rpms the engine uses up the surplus gas. The carbs do not actually have a choke they have an enrichment valve one for each carb if one of these sticks open it will enrich or even flood your engine. The plunger is accessible form out side the carb and you can check it for freedom of movement with your finger without removing the carb. A misfiring cylinder is another possibility but usually you will feel it missing. you can also check exhaust pipes for a cold or cooller one (best done when 1st starting the bike and then montering the pipe temps

thank you, I will check this out

Thats a good idea I will check the plunger for freedom of movement