IGNORED

newbie here - questions about model number, brakes pads, and seats

cwtart

Hello All,

I just purchased a 2008 Royal Star Venture - looks almost new with 21,000 miles - very, very happy with this bike. It will complement my other bike, a 2018 Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster. The Venture is for my wife to have a good place to sit. My Triumph is a great bike but definitely not a long-haul bike.

Question 1: I purchased from a dealer who got this bike from another dealer so I don't know any of the maintenance history of the bike. I want to replace the front and rear brake pads and want to use top-end pads - I need suggestions for the brake pads.

Question 2: Having no history of the bike, I do not know if I have a Royal Star Venture or a Royal Star Venture S. How can I tell?

Question 3: The dealer key tag says this is a XVZ13TFXR model but I cannot find any other reference to this. How do I tell the actual exact model? Doing a VIN search was inconclusive.

Question 4: I have a Corbin seat on my Triumph and am thinking about a custom seat for the Venture - Corbin, Mustang, or other? Any recommendations?

Question 5: The only thing not near-perfect on the bike is the windshield - it is pretty foggy and scratched. I ordered an F4 Custom windshield, 19.5-inch wide with OEM vent. Does anyone have any experience with F4 Custom windshields on their Venture?

Question 6: Other than the brake pads, what else should I be looking at for maintenance on this bike? It came with a new rear tire and a very good front tire so the rubber is good. The dealer changed the oil and gave the bike a go-over but what else should I check?

Thanks for any information and thanks for this great forum - I look forward to having my Royal Star Venture for many years of great use.

Basic maintenance...

Check coolant (test). Should be replaced every 3 years

Clutch and brake fluids - check colour - if "off", change

Rear wheel gear oil

Check date codes on tires. Over 7 years you should consider changing them even if no wear

I don't have the break pad part number handy but do a search on here for break pads (search box towards the top of the screen on the right)

And congratulations on the bike !

Hello All,

I just purchased a 2008 Royal Star Venture - looks almost new with 21,000 miles - very, very happy with this bike. It will complement my other bike, a 2018 Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster. The Venture is for my wife to have a good place to sit. My Triumph is a great bike but definitely not a long-haul bike.

Question 1: I purchased from a dealer who got this bike from another dealer so I don't know any of the maintenance history of the bike. I want to replace the front and rear brake pads and want to use top-end pads - I need suggestions for the brake pads.

Yamaha makes good parts. Go factory.

https://www.shopyamaha.com/parts-catalog/parts/star-mcy?ls=Star&nw=yamaha-motor-company&dealernumber=#/Yamaha/ROYAL_STAR_VENTURE_-_XVZ13TFXCR_-_2008/FRONT_BRAKE_CALIPER

or Partzilla or your favorite source.

Question 2: Having no history of the bike, I do not know if I have a Royal Star Venture or a Royal Star Venture S. How can I tell?

How did you determine what to pay for it then? The S model has chrome forks.

Question 3: The dealer key tag says this is a XVZ13TFXR model but I cannot find any other reference to this. How do I tell the actual exact model? Doing a VIN search was inconclusive. [/Quote]

Check Yamaha & you can always call customer service with your VIN.

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/motorsports/model-history/2008/royal-star-venture

Question 6: Other than the brake pads, what else should I be looking at for maintenance on this bike? It came with a new rear tire and a very good front tire so the rubber is good. The dealer changed the oil and gave the bike a go-over but what else should I check?

Get the owners manual from Yamaha and goto the service schedule. Assume nothing has been done to the bike and be prepared to do it all.