IGNORED

Polishing and rust ?

baylensman

So the RSV is parked under cover most days, but i do drive her in the rain and sometimes it rains sideways into the car port. I use a nano based cleaner/finisher in my wash bucket and do wax occasionally. The problem is I've got 12 year old chrome and aluminum. Most of it very is very good. A few pieces are starting to look their age. Such as the master cylinder covers (chrome) the master cylinders them selves (aluminum) Mirror mount backs of the mirror ect.

Any tips on easy or quick clean up? I can polish sand polish and wax or even, pull some parts and strip and polish and re-clear coat.

I'm just looking for something "down and dirty" to enhance the curb appeal. thinking of trading for a newer bike.

Also has anyone tried the seat upholstery kits from eBay? Have some cat damage on mine.

If it just surface corrosion take some aluminum foil and wad it up in your hand, dip in water and rub it on the affected area, works pretty well, they follow with traditional metal polish or good wax.

I just tried this on some Kuryakyn parts, it worked , but the Kuryakyn chrome is so pitiful it started to peel off in big flakes, the size of your thumb nail in some spots, so I am replacing the parts.

10-4 on the Kurry parts. They just aint like they use to be for sure. My highway pegs started flaking like Steve mentioned about 3yr after I put them on. By 5 or so I had huge chunks of chrome missing. So I wire wheeled them and painted them with a "hammered" type paint in a gun metal black looking color. Being my bike is black they sort of blend in. Naval jelly would be my other idea.