IGNORED

Road Trip! South Texas to South Dakota

OutKast

Leaving Victoria Tx tomorrow morning headed to Mission South Dakota for a mission trip on the Rosebud Reservation. Travelling through Ok City, sidetrack through Denver, then on to Mission SD. I expect the old 87 to do just fine. If not, hopefully the wonderful people here will help out as usual.

We will have a support truck with supplies behind us. But I trust the truck less than the bike!

The weather here in South Dakota is pretty decent, cooling down in the evenings but still darn nice, most of the tourists are gone but still best to avoid Rapid City unless you LOVE people and traffic.

I know you've thought of all this but here it goes;

Bring your adverse weather gear, this time of year can get pretty nasty with no warning, especially on the eastern end of the state and x2 after dusk. Expect chill.

Watch out for the hooved rats (deer), their favorite pastime is trying to spread their insides all over peoples vehicles and annoying insurance adjusters.

If you DO end up laying over near Rapid you can call me for a place to set up camp if your camping or lunch meet, I'm west of town in the Black Hills.

I assume your familiar with SD reservations... These are not exactly tourist destinations, and for good reason. Hopefully someone in your group has been there and knows what to expect.

Be safe and enjoy, you picked a right pleasant time to ride in South Dakota!

Edited by CaseyJ955

Leaving Victoria Tx tomorrow morning headed to Mission South Dakota for a mission trip on the Rosebud Reservation. Travelling through Ok City, sidetrack through Denver, then on to Mission SD. I expect the old 87 to do just fine. If not, hopefully the wonderful people here will help out as usual.

We will have a support truck with supplies behind us. But I trust the truck less than the bike!

I flew into Victoria way back on the way to Yokum... So I know where your at... :-) Never been to S.Dak, but you have a safe trip...

• 2 weeks later...

This was my fifth trip. It was the groups 30th anniversary trip. Definately not for tourists. Building a christian school for those that may not otherwise get schooling. For instance, last year I added toilet rooms and sinks to a classroom to make it a daycare. So underage moms can take thier babies with them to school. This year piped up showers in a locker area for the kids that cannot shower at home!

The weather here in South Dakota is pretty decent, cooling down in the evenings but still darn nice, most of the tourists are gone but still best to avoid Rapid City unless you LOVE people and traffic.

I know you've thought of all this but here it goes;

Bring your adverse weather gear, this time of year can get pretty nasty with no warning, especially on the eastern end of the state and x2 after dusk. Expect chill.

Watch out for the hooved rats (deer), their favorite pastime is trying to spread their insides all over peoples vehicles and annoying insurance adjusters.

If you DO end up laying over near Rapid you can call me for a place to set up camp if your camping or lunch meet, I'm west of town in the Black Hills.

I assume your familiar with SD reservations... These are not exactly tourist destinations, and for good reason. Hopefully someone in your group has been there and knows what to expect.

Be safe and enjoy, you picked a right pleasant time to ride in South Dakota!