IGNORED

Handlebar Modification for 2" More Pullback

I recently purchased a 2006 RSTD and like a lot of you, need more handlebar pullback. Everyone knows the problem with risers being that darn speedometer. For this reason, a lot of you use Flander’s bars which are rarely available. Rick at Buckeye Performance said he could have Flander’s make some more, but at a cost of $270 and who knows when it would be available. So, I came up with an alternative modification that is working incredibly well for me.

Not wanting to practice on my stock handlebars, I bought a pair of Baron replacements that are practically the same. I used 2 pieces of 1” 7075 aluminum 6” long and ground down 3” of each piece to 13/16” diameter, leaving the other 3” at 1” diameter. On the 1” side, I drilled a 11/64” hole dead center 1.5” deep and tapped M6-1 threads to fit the bar end weights. I then coated the 13/16” side with a metal epoxy and pounded the handlebar inserts into the handlebars.

It worked like a charm. I used 7075 for its hardness and durability and corrosion resistance. You could also use steel, of course. Someone could place pins or countersink screws if concerned about the ends pulling out, but I don’t think that’s ever going to happen. In retrospect, I totally would feel comfortable doing this with the stock bars if I could slide hammer out the bar end bushings.

IMG_5329.jpg small.jpgHandlebars with extension.jpg small.jpg

IMG_5358.jpg small.jpg

Edited by Doc2rDayv
adding pictures