IGNORED

Stuck saddle bag lid

rickardracing

Ok.....conundrum......my right side saddle bag is stuck closed. YES IT IS UNLOCKED!!! Sheesh...give a guy the benefit of doubt!.....But anyhooooo.....I can move it up and down a little bit but I can press that button down as far as it will go and it won't release. I shot some lube in the lock and worked it up and down, pressed on the button as far as I can and pounded the lid with my other hand......nope, nada, ain't gonna happen. Me thinks I may have to drill out the lock. Anyone have this issue? How did you get it open?

I had one bag sticking and what I did was to push in on the side of the bag to flex it, move the lid around a bit by pushing and pulling on it...and got it free without damaging anything.

Look at the other side to get an idea of how the mechanism works, then try what worked for me.

Post your results

I was on a trip from Fla to Canada one year. Crossed boarder and put passport in right bag again. Got to hotel and couldnt get bag open. PANIC I tried all kinds of things. Got something and pushed the button down as far as I could, pushed lid down some, wiggled. Finally got it to open. What actually released it? I have no idea. Just have to finagle things.

At lunch right now so I went out and looked things over. The hinge assembly has a split pin holding it together. I am going to use a pin driver and knock it out to separate the hinge. I believe once I do that I will be able to separate the lid from the bag. Then I will see whay caused it. Probably a couple screws came out and there is too much play in the assembly to let it release.

I've had the same exact issue, and I'll try and post pics if I can, but I can tell you how I solved the problem:

First off, it is a VERY special tapered split pin. I tried to get one from a dealer and even from Yamaha in Japan. No luck there.

I took a dremel cut off wheel and cut the split pin in about the middle to remove it, (both split pins) then when it was apart, it just so happens that a standard (don't remember the size) split pin fits inside of that tapered pin, so with red loctite put the tapered pins back together with the standard split pin inside pin.jpgand then installed the lid.

Hope that makes sense.

I just went through this on the down hill side bag.... For the 3rd time. It happens when I try to overfill the bag or do not align it when I shut the lid. I have to basically force the lid over to alignment and then push on the button. Alas - It came open - again!

I have had some scares though.

Problem is in the latch - not the Lock.

Worked on it over the weekend. I pried, pushed, pounded, twisted....lid is closed and staying that way. Hinge pins go into a blind hole not through like I had hoped. Hinge pin is either tempered or have been heat treated so drilling is not going to happen. So, when I get back from vacation I am going to run water over the hinge with the garden hose to keep the heat down and use my air grinder with cut off wheel and cut through the hinge at the pins and just replace the hinge. I already have too much time into this and I am just going to eat the cost and get it done with. Thank you all for your constructive suggestions.

Well....I got it open. Took a dremel with a small diameter cut off wheel and cut in between the upper and lower hinge at the pivot point and cut the hinge pin in half. I was able to get my hand in and find what was binding. It was my elastic cargo net. One of the hooks fell into the female part of the latch in the bag when I closed it and the male part on the lid got jammed. I reached in and aa luck would have it the bugger came out. If I can get the pins out I can salvage it.