IGNORED

Anyone make house calls??

Im at my wits end with the fuel pump ( and now no starter button operation and no spark ) on this 2008 RSV1300. As you may have read in my other thread about fuel pump smokes, bike started 2 or 3 times off the starter button tonight and ran great off the gravity bottle straight to the carbs. Then like out of nowhere theres no starter button but the dash lights dim like the buttons trying to send juice.

In any case I am in WAY WAY over my head here. Im ready to beg for a rescue party to show up and help me out. I am in Norman Oklahoma. I can gladly pay for your services and have your favorite beer in the fridge for you.

If your interested just PM me or call my cell....254-251-6288. Leave a message as I may be tied up at work but I will call you right back. Thanks, Chuck.

Nothing against you, but I hope to have had my last trip to Oklahoma. LOL I spent 20yr in southwestern part. Take a look at your battery and ground connections. Not only at battery, but under the left passenger floorboard there is a solenoid and a 30a fuse. Also look for the chassis ground for the battery.

Im at my wits end with the fuel pump ( and now no starter button operation and no spark ) on this 2008 RSV1300. As you may have read in my other thread about fuel pump smokes, bike started 2 or 3 times off the starter button tonight and ran great off the gravity bottle straight to the carbs. Then like out of nowhere theres no starter button but the dash lights dim like the buttons trying to send juice.

In any case I am in WAY WAY over my head here. Im ready to beg for a rescue party to show up and help me out. I am in Norman Oklahoma. I can gladly pay for your services and have your favorite beer in the fridge for you.

If your interested just PM me or call my cell....254-251-6288. Leave a message as I may be tied up at work but I will call you right back. Thanks, Chuck.

Chuck,

If you want to pay for a plane ticket form Charleston I would not mind visiting Oklahoma again. Thinking you probably do not want to do that I will give you a shout tonight after work, in the mean time check the items already recommended and if they are okay, look for melted wires leading to the fuel pump and relay. If the pump pulled enough current to smoke you may have melted wire or two.

OK..so again let me clear things up. The bike started and ran with the gravity bottle to the carbs. The NEW pump was plugged into the connector BECAUSE I WANTED TO SEE IF it was working right BEFORE i put it all back together to find that something OTHER than the pump was an issue. Being its a new pump it cycled on and off with the key as it normally should. It ( the pump ) stayed running when the bike was running with the gravity bottle too...so it was acting right by all accounts.

NEXT, we decided all was good so we shut the bike off with the key. Proceeded to install the pump, hooked up fuel lines, and bolted it in. Turned on the key to restart the bike to ensure it was gonna stay running with the pump supplying fuel instead of the gravity bottle. It was at this point there was no starter button and no cranking.

Now for tonights update. I thought maybe the main ignition switch was wanky like the switch bypass tutorial explains. I turned the key to the ON position and there was continuity between the red and the brown/blue wire so i am assuming the switch is sending power to the relays and ignitor.

Next i turned the key on and checked if there was power at either of the kill switch wires and neither had anything. Checked all the fuses by taking them out of the fuse box and checking continuity across each blade..all good. Im gonna next check all grounds and clean the connectors as good as I can. Nothing was touched when we turned the key off that last time.....and suddenly no starter button response.

I even took a known good plug and stuck it in all 4 wires and shorted across the selenoid to crank the bike and there was no spark on any of the 4 leads. Its just dead and Im stumped as to why. Like that other guy said about taking it to a shop. If any of us were cash flush it would have been there already. Unfortunately noones rich around here so we gotta fumble till we stumble on whats wrong.

Well we fumbled and stumbled and discovered that it was the starter selenoid. Apparently once the battery cable feeds power the selenoid feeds juice to the other components that have to do with ignition. Anyway the Yammy dealership had a "universal" kit and I wired it in and now the pump runs and it starts everytime off the starter button. All is back to normal.

Got a 6 mile test ride in at 60 MPH and not one hickup to be had. I wish to thank all here that had pointers to give. Soon as I can im gonna hit the membership button and be a paid member. Im sure you guys all have different bikes and I am almost 1000% certain i am gonna be a pain in the rump yet again...LOL

• 2 weeks later...