IGNORED

Clearview Windshield

Received the Prototype Clearview shield today. NOTE: This is only a prototype. It does not have the black on the bottom and this one is clear. It will have the black on the bottom and will be available in different tints.

Installed it soon after receiving it and just got back from a short ride. My initial impression is that it is top quality as I've found all Clearview shields to be. It is approximately two inches wider per side, 4" overall, than the stock shield. It does block about 1" of the mirrors but that doesn't bother me at all. Wind buffeting is greatly improved to the point of almost none at all. It does have the recurve at the top which probably helps in that regard. The width, I think, makes a huge difference.

I think that with the blackened out bottom and the light or medium tint, this is going to be a fantastic shield.

IMG_1705.jpg IMG_1706.jpg

The SVTC has a power adustable windshield. I like the MadStad shields but wasn't sure how much I would like it on this bike. It seems top be placed outside the trim even when you adjust it down. The shield I got is the same height as stock, I'm sure they will have two or three different heights available. That being said, this one is the stock height which is about perfect for me. I can see over it when it is down or look through it when it is all the way up. I personally prefer looking through it when the weather is nice so it's perfect for me.

I am supposed to evaluate this one and get back to them about any changes to the final design. So far, I see nothing that I would change. Just want it in medium or light tint and the black on the bottom. Actually I could live without the black on the bottom but it would look better.

I can understand how the little extra width may be nice. Madstad on mine anyways, is adjustable although manual. Kind of hard/impossible to do on the run. I took a silver sharpee and have marks where my 2 favorite adjustments are.

It all depends on your height but the stock height was perfect for me and this one is the same as stock. I can see over it with it all the way down or through it with it all the way up. It's perfect for me. I have another one coming that is the same as this one except lightly tinted and with the bottom blacked out as the stock shield is. It should be here in a couple of weeks. I really like this shield.

I personally hated the medium shield that I used while I was waiting. Wind buffeting was bad.

They told me yesterday to go ahead and spread the word, I think they are ready to take orders. I don't think anybody will be disappointed with it.

I posted to their Fb page late Wed; they got right back to me, Thurs. AM. I'm looking forward to your slightly tinted version, two inches lower, like the shield I "cut and pasted' back in July. It's narrower, but I'm short, and I like being able to look over the shield at slower speeds, so I am taking the good with the bad as is still deflects air over my passenger at highway speeds.

Edited by GreenMtnHunter
sp/wc

I did some testing on this prototype. They have a Sight Gauge writeup on their site but it turns out that the stock height was perfect for me. I ordered mine the same as stock but hadn't really ever done any measurements. They asked me to do it and it turned out to be perfect for me.

You can go to their website to see the details but in a nutshell. Here is a link to their instructions.

https://www.clearviewshields.com/about-your-shield/choosing-your-shield-height/

Put your bike on level ground.

Measure 50 ft. from the front tire of your bike. Put something on the ground at 50 ft. for a marker.

If you wish to look THROUGH the shield, the top of the shield should be 2" - 3" above your line of site when you look at the object 50' in front of you.

If you wish to look OVER the shield, the top edge of the shield should be right at the object you placed on the ground.

Having the adjustable shield gives me the ability to rider either way. With the shield, stock height, all the way up, I my line of site is almost exactly 3" below the top of the shield. With the shield all the way down, my line of site is EXACTLY at the top edge of the shield. Yamaha couldn't have gotten it better if they had used me for the model. Having 3" of vehicle adjustment makes it work perfectly when you like to look over it or through it. You just have to get the right height.

How tall are you? You said that this is the stock height. I assume you are easily looking over it when it is down all the way. With the curve up top how much wind were you getting with it down all the way? They (Clearview) are supposed to contact me this week to make one for mine. They wanted you to receive this one first and give some feedback. I am looking for about 3" wider (1 1/2" each side) Maybe a couple inches shorter, gray tint, and the top recurve

Thanks

Dave

He asked me about it. I think they would do it if you wanted them to. I had one on my RSVs and liked it but with the adjustable shield, I felt the vent would be way too high when in the up position so I opted against it.
Took a longer look at how the shield sits on it. Agree that it would be much too high up to be useful and would probably look silly.

I had a vented XXL on both my previous 2nd gens and loved it. With the adjustable hight on this one the vent shouldn't be needed.

Thanks again for helping them get sorted with a prototype. Will end up helping us all.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

How tall are you? You said that this is the stock height. I assume you are easily looking over it when it is down all the way. With the curve up top how much wind were you getting with it down all the way? They (Clearview) are supposed to contact me this week to make one for mine. They wanted you to receive this one first and give some feedback. I am looking for about 3" wider (1 1/2" each side) Maybe a couple inches shorter, gray tint, and the top recurve

Thanks

Dave

I'm about 6'2" tall but much of my height is my long legs. The article I posted about is a great source for determining the proper height for you. I easily look over it when down and about 3" below the top edge when it is up. I get little wind buffeting either way but slightly more with it down. I like looking through it unless the weather is fogging it up or something. Mine is about 2" wider on each side and I really like the extra width. Mine is the exact same height as the stock shield which was perfect for me. The new one that they are sending is lightly tinted and of course has the recurve.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is my review I sent to Craig as well as pics of my Clearview shield on my SVTC

This is a review of my new Clearview Windshield for the Star Venture Transcontinental. I got mine 1.5” shorter, 3” wider, tinted gray with the re-curve.

The windshield looks great on the bike especially when it is down all the way. It gives the big Star Venture a Sporty look. I ride mostly with it down all the way because I do like some air on me. I am 5’11” and I can see over it easily. Around town and at less than freeway speeds the recurve takes most of the air over my head. At freeway speeds in all but the nastiest cross and head cross winds (9 o’clock to 10 o’clock and 3 o’clock to 1 o’clock) I can raise the windshield 1.5”, basically the stock height, and it gives me nice protection from head buffeting. I can still look over the windshield too. When raised all the way I look through the windshield about 2 inches below the top and there is virtually no air on my torso or head at all. I Also like the extra thickness of the Clearview windshields as the shield itself does not buffet especially all they way up when it can distort your vision a bit.

I had my girl on the back for a 250-mile ride through varying conditions and winds. Her head sits about 2-3” higher that mine. Her eyeline is just below the top of my helmet in my normal riding position. If I slouch a bit, she can just see over my helmet. Riding with the shield all the way down and at normal around the town driving, she didn’t notice any difference really. When we got on the freeway and were in the 75MPH range with the shield all the way down she would get some head buffeting. When I raised it up about 1.5” to stock height about 50% of the buffeting stopped. When I raised it all the way she barely felt anything on her head at all. The extra width helps me in the riders’ position immensely as it directs the majority of wind completely around me. My girl could feel the wind on her arms a bit but not bad at all. We both noticed that we weren’t getting that bit of wind noise that we used to get (even with full face helmets on) in our headset mics. Also, for me the extra width fills the gap between the shield and the mirrors where the wind comes through and hits my hands. I wore my vented gloves and never felt the need to change them on temps that day all the way down to the high 40’s. I also never felt the need to turn my grip heaters on. This was not true with the stock shield. All in all, it is a fantastic shield and does exactly what I was hoping it would do when I ordered it. First three pics are all the way down, Fourth is all the way up and the last from a distance is down

Dave Hanson

Shield down 1.jpgSHield down 2.jpgshield down side.jpgShield up.jpgshield from distance.jpg

• 3 years later...