IGNORED

rear brake caliper rebuild

I had a little adventure last night. we were going down a 2 lane and the rear brake started dragging. by the time i was able to pull off to the side, the caliper had caught fire.

do you think the caliper can be rebuilt, or should i try to find another one? I've got to replace the rotor too, it got a little hot.

If you find one and do a rebuild, I highly recommend Brake Crafters ( brakecrafters.com ) for rebuild kits. They are high quality and the kits come with all the seals, copper crush washers and lube for safe reassembly.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

If you find one and do a rebuild, I highly recommend Brake Crafters ( brakecrafters.com ) for rebuild kits. They are high quality and the kits come with all the seals, copper crush washers and lube for safe reassembly.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

I'd read that they have a 15% off first order deal, is this still on?/

I personally wouldn't mess around with a rebuild. Look on eBay and pick up a clean caliper and rotor. They don't go for much and DYI. Bet you probably toasted the bottom of the saddle too.... Been there..done that... The reason your rear locked up was the expansion hole pluged up with dirt or crystals and the hot fluid didn't have anypalce to go and started to apply the pads. The more the pads applied, the hotter they got and the fluid expanded more and applied the pads more... A downward cycle. My '83VR locked up tighter than a frogs ass. Luckily it was at slow speed. The bottom of the saddle bag did get toasted... Good luck on the repair... Bleed the brakes once a year and that usually takes care of problems...

Looks like the rotor is salvageable, it cleaned up nicely with no signs of cracks or heat checks. I'll check the runout tonight, i left my axle shaft at home

and the caliper looks good also, no scorched paint and the body and pistons are in good shape. Ive got a kit coming from brakecrafters