IGNORED

Fuel pump smokes.

Buddys fuel pump quit so he went and got a Quantum pump from the local shop. Plugged it in and it didnt click so we replaced the relay thats right under the front middle cover. Had the numbers 5EA-81950-00 on it. We assumed this was the fuel pump relay. Now the issue is the pump gets really hot and there is smoke coming out from the vent nipple and from the edges of the black plastic cover. Ive changed out pumps on shadows and vulcans ive owned and never have I had one heat up and smoke.

My buddy noted that the box the Quantum unit came in said something about fuel injection on it..would a fuel injection pump over pressurize itself on this carburated bike and thus heat up and smoke?? Im not the dullest tool in the shed but this ones got me shaking my head.

Fuel injection pump? What is the pressure output? The RSV only runs around 3-5 psi, most FI pumps run much higher.

I have no idea what the PSI on it is. I was just wondering if the pump was for a FI system did they give Jim the wrong pump when he needs one for a craburetor bike?? Is there a difference? If so I will have him get one for a carb setup.

I have the old pump still. As i was using the search feature i noticed threads about points. Wonder if I took the black cover off the old one i could see if the points are smoked?? maybe some 1500 grit to polish them and see if the old pump comes alive again??? He was riding the bike and it started acting up and died. let it set awhile and it would start but go a mile a die again. Wash rinse repeat.

I have the old pump still. As i was using the search feature i noticed threads about points. Wonder if I took the black cover off the old one i could see if the points are smoked?? maybe some 1500 grit to polish them and see if the old pump comes alive again??? He was riding the bike and it started acting up and died. let it set awhile and it would start but go a mile a die again. Wash rinse repeat.

I should also add that we are feeding fuel with a gravity bottle and the tank is off. Having the plug that goes to the tank undone, will that cause any eletrical issues with the cycling of the fuel pump???? I am thinking it isnt cycling and just staying on making the points get hot and smoke. Least thats my conclusion. I am also assuming the relay is working or else the pump would turn on at all..correct??

Edited by Venture Wannabe

Unplugging the tank only kills the gauge. Don't assume anything when it comes to electrical, relay could be good or it could be stuck in the on position. Verify the relay and use a 3-5 psi pump, the points in the OEM are easy to change. The aftermarket pump may not have points at all. Whatever the reason for the smoke, fire and gas make a bad situation so I'd pull that pump and make sure what you have.

Just got home after 4 hours of tinkering with absolutely no gain. The box the new pump that started smoking was indeed marked EFI on the end. Took the black cap off and it was pretty well scorched all around the points and where the wires went into the pump body. So we put the old one back on and it would click every now and then when turning the key on and off.

So then I took the plug off the EFI one and stripped the wires so I could use the multimeter at the plug to see what voltage was getting to the pump. Turn the key on and 12.74 and then it drops off after a few seconds. Put the gravity bottle straight to the carbs and started the beast. Now with the bike running the voltage at the plug stayed 12.85 to 12.95 consistently for as long as the bike was running.

After 4 hours about all I have convinced myself of is the relay is indeed working or else I wouldnt get any voltage. Secondly, i know that there is a constant 12 volts plus at the plug so its not a voltage issue. Jim wants to ride saturday before he goes under the knife so I am asking for suggestions for a two wire pump from an auto parts place that will fit . I saw the Mr. Gasket write up. Is there a more straight forward mod other than doing all that plumbing?? I think I know where theres a stock one off a Vulcan or a Shadow and they have the nipples on the end like this bike has. Any thoughts on if a shadow or Vulcan twowire pump will work???

Any low pressure type pump should work. The Mr Gasket one aint all that hard. I did some extra plumbing when I did it to make it as clean install as I could. Most of was with rubber line if I remember rite. Try cleaning up the points and give it a whirl see what happens.

Any low pressure type pump should work. The Mr Gasket one aint all that hard. I did some extra plumbing when I did it to make it as clean install as I could. Most of was with rubber line if I remember rite. Try cleaning up the points and give it a whirl see what happens.

I will try a little gentle clean up of the points. I assume you are talking about the rounded tip that i see sparking every now and then when it decides to "try" to come on...yes??? Is there a gap setting for them that i can check with some feeler gauges???

HELP HELP PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!!

So we got a new pump and plugged it in. Before hooking everything up and placing covers on we ran the gravity bottle straight to the carbs. Hit the ignition switch and it cycled for about 5 seconds and shut off..which i read is what should happen. Next, I started the bike and the pump chattered away like normal. Hit ignition to off and retested..exact same things happened.

So we decided we were good and hooked the gravity tank to the fuel line where it would go to the petcock. Hooked the line to the carbs back on. Turned on the key and nothing!!! Press the start button and the dash lights dim a bit like the switch IS contacting and trying to send power to the selinoid but it wont crank. OK...so lets jump across the post to see if it at least cranks the starter motor. Cranks great but bike wont start. Pulled a plug wire and used a know good plug to hold against the engine and no sparking.

Im stumped as the bike was JUST running and had a working starter button, seinoid was doing its job, and we didnt touch anything other than the plug for the fuel pump!! Im using search feature and have read many things about a diode and a starter circuit cutoff relay. I have no clue where any of these things are at, what they look like, what colors they are. I really want to get the bike done so Jim can ride this weekend before his surgery. This may be his last riding day for the year and if I can get her to crank off the starter button and restore spark I think we got her licked.