IGNORED

Managed a little riding last week

Freebird

Nothing monumental but did get a couple of fair rides in last week. After owning the '18 for about 10 or so months, I finally got past the 1,000 mile break-in period. That's pathetic I know but it is what it is.

Went for about a 150 mile ride on Friday. Finally hit the 1000 mile mark on my way home. Until them, I had been following Yamaha's instructions in keeping it under the recommended RPMS and etc. It felt good to finally be able to wind it out a bit and put it through some paces.

Yesterday, I went for a ride down to Amish county with Eric Drake, Drake44135 , Some of you probably remember his from Maintenance Day this year. He was the guy that joined the night before and stopped by.

It was a good day. We rode safely but fairly aggressive a few times in some of the curves that we found. Eric was leading on his second gen as he had put the route into his GPS. We probably only rode maybe 175 miles.

Some observations about the 3rd gen.

I wish the rev limiter was about 1,000 higher. I've pretty much gotten used to it and the bike has no problem staying with the 2nd gen but I just feel that it could rev higher and be OK. If you don't pay attention, you will hit it quickly in 1st - 3rd gears. You will actually hit the limiter at 70 MPH in 3rd and at 90 MPH in 4th. Didn't get to see about 5th and doubt you would hit it in 6th at all. Still, it has so much torque that even having to shift quickly, it will keep up just fine. Just have to get used to it.

Wish it had a bit more lean angle. I seemed to drag my boards easier than I did on the second gen. Didn't feel that I was riding that aggressive at all but still drug them a couple of times.

Stability is fantastic. It lays into the curves very easily. Brakes, in my option, are great. Some people complain about the seat but to be honest, I find it much better than most any stock seat I've ever had. I doubt I'll be changing it. In fact, there is very little that I would change about this bike other than what I have already done. I've added highway pegs, risers, backrest. Also some things like trunk rack, hitch, bag top guards, etc. but that's about it.

We swapped bikes for a few minutes and I was amazed at how different it felt to get back on a second gen. I felt that I was sitting more on the second gen and "IN" the 3rd gen. The second gen also felt a bit smaller after riding the 3rd gen for a while. Both great bikes in my opinion and I still love the 2nd gen also but at this point, I think that I prefer the '18 in regards to comfort.

I know that there are still those, and always will be, that just can't fathom going to a air cooled V-Twin and I get that. For those who can though, the 3rd gen is certainly worth consideration. After riding it for a few minutes, Eric commented that it would certainly be his next bike.

IMG_1701.jpg

Glad to hear you're riding some. I too was a little apprehensive going to an air cooled bike. When I was in CA a few years back on business I was able to rent an Indian for a weekend ride from Irvine to San Fran, then back to Irvine and that changed my mind. I was looking heavily at the Gold Wing, the Indian Roadmaster and Chieftain, really being disappointed that Yamaha wasn't making the Venture at the time. I got wind of the Gen 3 just a few months before I planned on pulling the trigger on an Indian. I am so glad I, just by happenstance, waited to get the new Venture.

Nothing monumental but did get a couple of fair rides in last week. After owning the '18 for about 10 or so months, I finally got past the 1,000 mile break-in period. That's pathetic I know but it is what it is.

Went for about a 150 mile ride on Friday. Finally hit the 1000 mile mark on my way home. Until them, I had been following Yamaha's instructions in keeping it under the recommended RPMS and etc. It felt good to finally be able to wind it out a bit and put it through some paces.

Yesterday, I went for a ride down to Amish county with Eric Drake, Drake44135 , Some of you probably remember his from Maintenance Day this year. He was the guy that joined the night before and stopped by.

It was a good day. We rode safely but fairly aggressive a few times in some of the curves that we found. Eric was leading on his second gen as he had put the route into his GPS. We probably only rode maybe 175 miles.

Some observations about the 3rd gen.

I wish the rev limiter was about 1,000 higher. I've pretty much gotten used to it and the bike has no problem staying with the 2nd gen but I just feel that it could rev higher and be OK. If you don't pay attention, you will hit it quickly in 1st - 3rd gears. You will actually hit the limiter at 70 MPH in 3rd and at 90 MPH in 4th. Didn't get to see about 5th and doubt you would hit it in 6th at all. Still, it has so much torque that even having to shift quickly, it will keep up just fine. Just have to get used to it.

Wish it had a bit more lean angle. I seemed to drag my boards easier than I did on the second gen. Didn't feel that I was riding that aggressive at all but still drug them a couple of times.

Stability is fantastic. It lays into the curves very easily. Brakes, in my option, are great. Some people complain about the seat but to be honest, I find it much better than most any stock seat I've ever had. I doubt I'll be changing it. In fact, there is very little that I would change about this bike other than what I have already done. I've added highway pegs, risers, backrest. Also some things like trunk rack, hitch, bag top guards, etc. but that's about it.

We swapped bikes for a few minutes and I was amazed at how different it felt to get back on a second gen. I felt that I was sitting more on the second gen and "IN" the 3rd gen. The second gen also felt a bit smaller after riding the 3rd gen for a while. Both great bikes in my opinion and I still love the 2nd gen also but at this point, I think that I prefer the '18 in regards to comfort.

I know that there are still those, and always will be, that just can't fathom going to a air cooled V-Twin and I get that. For those who can though, the 3rd gen is certainly worth consideration. After riding it for a few minutes, Eric commented that it would certainly be his next bike.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=117629

ANSWER TO PRAYER RIGHT THERE ^^^^^^^^^^ :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

OUTSTANDING my brother!!!!

Sooo glad you are able to get out and enjoy your new scoot = YOU deserve it!!:thumbsup:

Glad to hear you got the chance to enjoy the new bike, I agree with all your comments, especially on 1st gear. When I test road one at Pioneer last year I couldnt believe how quickly you hit the rev limiter in 1st, almost like they didnt even need 1st gear. It was a beautiful riding bagger and if I was ever in the market for a new 2 wheeler, it would be the one. I am sure the more you ride it the more you will enjoy it.

Craig

Glad to hear you got your feet off the ground on back onto two wheels Don. Here's to more days like this ahead :beer: (That's Root Beer BTW). Also Glad you are enjoying your 3rd Gen As far as the rev limiter is concerned I am sure you'll figure out how to get around that Or just get used to it the way it is.

Don that is fantastic that you where feeling well enough to get out on the bike. I hope things only get better for you. Please keep us posted.

Excellent that you rode with our new member Eric. I remember meeting him at this years MD and amazed that he just joined the night before. Sounded like my story when I joined it was the weekend of an International Rally in Kitchener. I went and met you and a few other wonderful people in the morning. I didn't stay for the day, but I knew this was a great club to belong to.

Glad to see you are riding.

I have the same issue with the rev limiter. I hit it very soon when taking off. I am used to winding the heck out of my last two Yamaha's . I am getting adjusted to it. At first I was constantly maxing it out. The bike will get up and go thats for sure

My other problem is, I forget about 6th gear sometimes 5th. Most of the time I ran in 4th on my 2nd gens

Love My new Venture, Went out for 402 miles Saturday. I agree on the seat I was concerned I would need to replace it based on the previous two bikes. I am happy to say I think its a keeper.

Did you every do the windshield swap? Wondering how that worked out

Be Safe

After reading about the dizzy spells you were experiencing. Its great to see that you can get out for a ride

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...