IGNORED

Odd Happenings with Enricher on Start Up

luvmy40

Here's what is happening:

1986 VR, Cold start, 50 deg. F ambient temp.

Enricher fully actuated

Hit the start button and she starts right up and idles around 2200 rpm

After a few seconds(maybe 30) the idle drops to under 1000 rpm and she stalls shortly there after. At this point the enricher lever does nothing at any position.

Once warm, she idles smooth around 1000 rpm.

I synchronized the carbs a couple months ago.

Any thoughts?

Perhaps too much fuel from the enrichers at that point in time? I start my '93 with the enrichers at about the 3/4 position. Full open always seems to be too much for that temp range (50 deg). As the RPMs surge and within 15 to 20 seconds, I slowly close the enrichers to keep the RPM at around 1500 to 2000 RPM until I get moving and then completely close the enrichers within a few blocks. Once warm it idles beautifully with the enrichers fully closed. My theory is that as the motor warms up within the first minute, I'll end up too rich if I don't slowly close the enrichers.

I don't know that I've mastered the technique either. Like you, if I don't get it right the first time and it stalls, I have a more difficult time getting the bike to high-idle regardless of the enricher position, and usually have to goose the throttle several times to clean up the fuel/air mixture. I'm not sure if that's because I'm too rich or too lean at that point.

Open the enrichers, crank the throttle, then start it and close the enrichers as idle increases. Always, always have the enrichers closed before you move, there is a real danger of a mishap when the engine stalls or burbs during riding,,, not a good thing.

You may also be having the enrichers hang up as you close them. Check them on a cold engine and make sure they all totally return to closed when you close the control handle.

I'm back in Connecticut for a few weeks so it will be a bit before I can look at anything.

I'm just going by the way The Beast acted with the enricher engaged. She would start up at 1500 rpm or so on full enrichment and then the revs would climb steadily after 20 seconds or so and I could decrease enrichment to keep the rpms around 1500 until she idled at 1000rpm without enrichment. All this in about a minute or so.