IGNORED

Freebird Centerstand Installation

Freebird Centerstand Installation

Note: Since I am no longer making these stands and there have been some requests for the measurements, here they are for those who wish to make their own.

The large holes on the U Braket and straight bars are 16mm. The ground out slot on the bottom of the bars are so that the stand will break over the proper amount. If it doesn't break over far enough, the bike will roll off the stand. If it breaks over to far, it is almost impossible to get the bike off the stand. You want it to break over so that it is just past vertical. The stands all vary just a bit so I always assemble them first and then grind the slots on each one until I get it right. I also grind all the sharp corners before painting. Just enough to put a nice rounded corner on them. You don't have to but it just looks nicer. You will notice that this one has the tab welded on. I later started having these stamped out at a machine shop so that they were one piece. It was just easier for me that way but welding works fine.

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

image003.jpg

image004.jpg

The installation of the Freebird centerstand is pretty simple. Before proceeding in purchasing or installing one of my stands though, I should point out a couple of things.

1. Will this stand lift the rear wheel off the ground? Yes, if your suspension is STOCK it will lift it maybe a half inch off the ground. If you have installed the Diamond R leveling links, it will NOT lift the tire off the ground. I have the links on my bike but even though my tire is no longer off the ground, I find the stands very useful for oil changes and etc.

2. Can you still use a bike lift with the stand installed? I do. The lift WILL rest of the stand at the rear but I just let it. It has worked fine for me. If not, it only requires the removal of 4 bolts to drop the stand off.

3. This is just a note more than anything else. These stands are made from used centerstands off first generation Yamaha Ventures. I have them available as I can locate stands. I have the brackets available all the time so if you have or can find a used first gen stand, I will sell you only a bracket. You can also buy NEW first gen stands for somewhere around $85.00. So even if you buy a new stand and one of my brackets, you will still have less than $150.00 in a centerstand.

4. This is not an exact science. There are some variances in the old stands and I've seen some cases where the angled tab on the bottom of the second gen or RSTD have been slightly bent...or mashed down. I have test fitted every stand that I sell on my own bike but I sometimes get an email that the holes do not line up perfectly. That is usually not a problem. If you follow my directions and leave everything loose until all the bolts are in, you should then be able to tighten everything up and it will work fine. If there is a small space between the U Bracket and where it rests on the bikes frame...don't worry about it. I promise that the first time you put the 1,000 lb. bike on the frame...that space will go away.

:)

5. I grind the inner part of the foot pad off so as to prevent it from hitting the exhaust shield. It will still be very close but should not touch. If it does, simply remove the stand, lay it on the ground and WHOP the foot lever with a sledge hammer. It will bend enough to clear.

So...after all that...here are the instructions.

This picture shows the existing tabs on the bottom of the bike where the stand will bolt up.

1.jpg

Place the stand under the bike and insert the rear bolts into the holes. The existing holes are a metric size just ever do slightly smaller than 5/16". I supply 5/16" bolts so you will need to run a 5/16" bit through those holes...or you can purchase slightly smaller metric bolts. It's very easy though to run a bit through the holes.

2.jpg

Now just swing up the horizontal bars and place the 3/8" bolts through the holes. The bars of the bracket go OUTSIDE the tabs on the frame. If they don't line up perfectly, just wiggle it around until you get them in.

3.jpg

Tighten all the bolts and the stand is now mounted.

4.jpg

Installing the spring is the next step.

Place the LONG end of the spring through the small hole on the left horizontal bracket and take the spring OVER the top of the bikes frame.

5.jpg

The other end of the spring connects to the existing tab at the bottom of the left stand leg.

6.jpg

This picture shows how close the foot pad comes to the exhaust. If it touches or you feel it is too close. Just take the stand back off and bend it out a bit. Do NOT spread the legs of the actual stand...just hit the arch of the foot extension so that IT bends a bit further out.

7.jpg

This is how it looks all mounted.

8.jpg

On the stand from the side.

9.jpg

Close up with bike on stand.

10.jpg

From the back

11.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes...a little bit but nothing to cause any problems. Just put the centerstand up first. The side stand will touch and ride on it but not noticeable. The only way I became aware of it was one time I pulled the bike off the centerstand then when I started to put the sidestand down, I felt the centerstand move a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Freebird; Just installed your centerstand, must have taken me all off 15 mins. Just wanted to thank you for the quick service, installation instructions and the idea to make these up. My wife also sends her thanks, she doesn,t have to lay on the cold garage floor to check my oil anymore. Thanks again. trucker 41.

• 4 years later...