IGNORED

Which tires should I test now?

VentureFar

Hi all

My good friends at ultimatemotorcycling.com have asked me to road test any tires except Dunlop and Pirelli because those were done by them ( and me) recently.

What tire haven’t you put on your own Gen 2 but are curious about?

For the Gen 2 Venture:

What tire would you like me to test and give my personal opinion on? I am not an engineer or racer. I am 120,000 mile street rider who will do the best I can to share how they feel, how they react to varying road conditions etc.

Help me help US by chiming in.

Thanks all.

VentureFar...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+3 on the Shinks!! We LOVE and revere your reports on Ulimate @VentureFar,, always from the hip, call em as you see em and ULTIMATELY very accurate!! A square shot at the cheaper tire's by a lop eared from the hip, call em as you see em varmint like yourself would be treasured!!

Keep up the good work brother and keep the faith!

Puc

About the only brand that I can think of that a lot these varmints aint played with would be in the Car Tire category but I bet a Dark Siding report wouldnt be on Ultimate's agenda.. :scratchchin:,,, :think:,, how about a good set of Chin Shing full knobbies like my KX500 liked to gooble up :guitarist 2::big-grin-emoticon:

Seriously though,,, I think Avons would be the least reported on tires I have seen around but even those had a following for a while...

I ran Dunlop D404 for a long time and I liked them. I have a tire changer so they were easy for me to change out. Not high mileage (6-8k) but cheap enough that they were in good unit price for the mileage. Had Bridgestones on it when new and they were like steel on rain. Lasted about 900 miles before I dumped them. Went to Metzler for two sets until the second set came apart. The Dunlops I ran for 14 years.

:farmer:

Hi all

My good friends at ultimatemotorcycling.com have asked me to road test any tires except Dunlop and Pirelli because those were done by them ( and me) recently.

What tire haven’t you put on your own Gen 2 but are curious about?

I did my own tire testing years ago and came to the conclusion that the cheap ones wore out quickly and their lower cost was offset by the expense and hassle of changing them. I finally settled on Metzeler ME880 as a tire with long life and reasonable pricing. I know that isn't what you were asking about, but just thought I would toss in my experience.

Cannot say I noticed any obvious handling differences between the various brands that I tried.

zag

I have these in the bike right now. Did the ride report. My conclusion is this tire was made for this bike in terms of roadability, steering, cornering, comfort. Old school pirelli’s are cheap and a good fit, BUT I have them on now and already road tested them.

For long life and rain stability I have had two sets of ME880’s and one time put ME 888 on the rear but the 888 required 50 psi and that was a pain to maintain with a motorcycle sized air pump. In fact I killed a slump pump and they replaced it with a high capacity pump at no charge.

Remember this isn’t “what should I buy” it is what should I test for everyone “

VentureFar...

I ran the Michelin Commander 2 and got 15k out of them. Hey how about testing a set of Continental Conti-tours. I dont have the Venture any more, but I have a Shinkop 777 on my Victory now and looks like the miles is about the same as whit the Venture, 8000 on rear.

Anyone know what the most expensive tires are?

VentureFar...

Not sure where it's at now price wise and not even sure what brand of tires we were talking but when we looked at and rode the new Ventures out at Sturgis I spent a fair amount of time yakking with the factory guys out there. One of the things I noticed right away at the unveiling at Americade in New York was the odd sized tire they chose to run on the rear end.. Being one who used to go thru a few tires a year I was curious of the cost of the new breed of tire on the new Yam I was compelled to inquire at Sturgis = I was shocked to find be quoted over 500 bucks for a new rear tire (this quote was for one (1) tire). A little more checking revealed that a person could actually buy the wheel itself at all most at the same price :scared:!! No idea where that stands now Neil but someone here may know.. I do know this,, even Carbon Fiber tires rated at +200mph for my R1 are not close to that number!!

Anyone know what the most expensive tires are?

VentureFar...

Most expensive tires I have found are Heidenau K60. Don't believe they have a 15" rear though.

No one has yet suggesting testing the Kenda Kruz K673. They have both tire sizes available. I have run Kendas on other bikes and liked them.

RR

Most expensive tires I have found are Heidenau K60. Don't believe they have a 15" rear though.

Well now there's an interesting one to throw out there. I'm using a K28 on my Ural with a K37 on the spare wheel for when I do some off-road riding with my KLR buddies.

As for the Venture I just put a Dunlop E4 on this spring after going dark-side for 2 years. I didn't put the mileage on anymore with 2 bikes to justify a CT. The E4 has a higher load rating than the Michelin C-II and the same dual compound high mileage design. Again, I don't have many miles on the tire for an objective review but its been good so far.

No one has yet suggesting testing the Kenda Kruz K673. They have both tire sizes available. I have run Kendas on other bikes and liked them.

RR

Kenda’s don’t get mentioned often.

I used them exclusively on my dirt bike for 10 years and 8000 miles.

I am going to ask for a set of Kenda Kruz and see if I can get them.

Thanks RedRider

VentureFar...

Not sure where it's at now price wise and not even sure what brand of tires we were talking but when we looked at and rode the new Ventures out at Sturgis I spent a fair amount of time yakking with the factory guys out there. One of the things I noticed right away at the unveiling at Americade in New York was the odd sized tire they chose to run on the rear end.. Being one who used to go thru a few tires a year I was curious of the cost of the new breed of tire on the new Yam I was compelled to inquire at Sturgis = I was shocked to find be quoted over 500 bucks for a new rear tire (this quote was for one (1) tire). A little more checking revealed that a person could actually buy the wheel itself at all most at the same price :scared:!! No idea where that stands now Neil but someone here may know.. I do know this,, even Carbon Fiber tires rated at +200mph for my R1 are not close to that number!!

I suspect that the person you talked to had no idea what they were talking about. The stock Bridgestone Excedra is available for $201.00 with free shipping. Dunlop makes on that is just a bit more. That's just from a quick look. They may be even cheaper if you really look around. That's the rear tire. Haven't looked for the front.

I suspect that the person you talked to had no idea what they were talking about. The stock Bridgestone Excedra is available for $201.00 with free shipping. Dunlop makes on that is just a bit more. That's just from a quick look. They may be even cheaper if you really look around. That's the rear tire. Haven't looked for the front.

Actually he was quoting me right from Mom Yam's parts book and showed me the numbers.. If you refer back to this thread https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?132424-Tires that was an earlier discussion about tire pricing, there is an actual picture of the parts list showing the price of the rim at 576 and tire at 603.. Hold on,, I'll see if I can duplicate that listing here.. Yep,, got it,, should be showing up in a pic below? I know brother,, that was a while back, a lot of water over the dam since then = with the new Honda running the same tire, lower prices?

Anyway,, back during that time frame 500 bucks for a tire was about the highest price tire I knew of,,, in answer to Neil's question..

Here's a picture of the parts quote from that thread and from the time frame I was referring to,, looks exactly like the page that factory guy was quoting from in answering my questions back then,,, a longgg time ago on a galaxy far far away :big-grin-emoticon:tire.jpg