IGNORED

Got a buddy looking at a 2015 with 89,000 kliks on it. How to steer him???

Semi-retired

A good, good friend of mine is looking at buying a 2013 Gen 2 [PLEASE FORGIVE TYPO IN HEADING!!]......as his "re-entry" into the world of 2-wheelers after a 40 year absence.

The Venture he's looking at has almost 90,000 kliks on it (about 55,000 miles).....it's been a "one-owner" bike and has been babied by it's PO, who apparently had THREE Ventures, this being his most recent.

Buddy wants my opinion on whether this bike (which appears-to-be-pristine) should be a "good buy". All things being "equal"....he's really just asking me from a MILEAGE and AGE and COST standpoint......because I haven't ridden the machine.

So, from THOSE three variables, I'm curious what anybody's/everybody's advice would be. (Again, simply on the age/mileage/cost parameters).

The asking/selling price is $10,999.....CANADIAN. (Call it 8 grand US for easy math.)

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks for any feedback.

Edited by Semi-retired

A good, good friend of mine is looking at buying a 2015 Gen 2......as his "re-entry" into the world of 2-wheelers after a 40 year absence.

The Venture he's looking at has almost 90,000 kliks on it (about 55,000 miles).....it's been a "one-owner" bike and has been babied by it's PO, who apparently had THREE Ventures, this being his most recent.

Buddy wants my opinion on whether this bike (which appears-to-be-pristine) should be a "good buy". All things being "equal"....he's really just asking me from a MILEAGE and AGE and COST standpoint......because I haven't ridden the machine.

So, from THOSE three variables, I'm curious what anybody's/everybody's advice would be. (Again, simply on the age/mileage/cost parameters).

The asking/selling price is $10,999.....CANADIAN. (Call it 8 grand US for easy math.)

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks for any feedback.

If it’s a 2015 it’ll be one of a kind. They stopped production in 2013.

If it’s a 2015 it’ll be one of a kind. They stopped production in 2013.

Ah, so. Getting my vintages mixed up with my wife's new/old car!!

I stand corrected......and will correct my original post so as to not look QUITE as "out of it".

Everything else still stands......and opinions still sought on this...........2013 Gen 2.

Thanks for catching that, Doug!

The price is a bit high IMHO. Almost the end of riding season and all. Check out these two with much less mileage on Cycle trader.com

https://www.cycletrader.com/Used-2013-Yamaha-Royal-Star/motorcycles-for-sale?make=Yamaha%7C2321194&model=ROYAL%20STAR%7C764863044&condition=U&year=2013%3A2013

And here is the NADA price guide valuation in USD

https://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/2013/Yamaha/ZXZ13TFSD-C-RYL-STR-VNTRS-1294cc/Values

The cycle trader link went to U.S. bikes so the price in Cdn $ is actually comparable.

What extras are on it? Light bar/passing lights? Trunk wing? Saddle bag rails? The more on it the better the deal. Add-ons could be difficult to source so keep that in mind.

I think you can probably haggle it down a little bit based on end of season but probably not by much. Price is pretty good in my opinion.

Everyone would always prefer to pay less. For a 6 year old bike, it is half of what it sold for new.

Mileage of 89,000 km converts to 55,000 miles. Just under 15,000km/9,000miles per season. Shows it has been ridden which is good. And the owner having previously owned Ventures if they did their own maintenance more than likely they knew what they were doing.

Edited by XV1100SE

Autotrader

2013 Venture S - stock bike - no extras, in Scarborough, 4300km $11,500

Brantford Motorcycles had a 2009 Venture S for $9,000 with a few extras (sold)

Price listed on what your buddy is looking for is in the ballpark. Try $10,000-10,500. If it has "extras" it is a reasonable deal at the price you listed.

Too big and top heavy for a reintroduction to motorcycling after 40 years. My recommendation is to go with something smaller at first. 650-750 range. There are lots of them out there used with low miles. After 6 months to a year of riding again, sell it and go for the bigger bike. Also take the Rider training class. The refresher training will be a good experience.

My :2cents:

Just a thought: He's getting older and might not be riding 2 wheels for long,,,, he needs to face the inevitable!!!! Maybe save some money and go for a trike instead,,, or better yet, a Spyder,,, not because I own one, but it's just a good way to go and he can ride that much longer than a 2 wheel,,, and he's still young enough to adjust to it.

The cycle trader link went to U.S. bikes so the price in Cdn $ is actually comparable.

What extras are on it? Light bar/passing lights? Trunk wing? Saddle bag rails? The more on it the better the deal. Add-ons could be difficult to source so keep that in mind.

I think you can probably haggle it down a little bit based on end of season but probably not by much. Price is pretty good in my opinion.

Everyone would always prefer to pay less. For a 6 year old bike, it is half of what it sold for new.

Mileage of 89,000 km converts to 55,000 miles. Just under 15,000km/9,000miles per season. Shows it has been ridden which is good. And the owner having previously owned Ventures if they did their own maintenance more than likely they knew what they were doing.

Agreed on all points. (In fact, it's with the selling dealer now....who claims to have done all the "regular" maintenance, so "presumably" even better!

Just a thought: He's getting older and might not be riding 2 wheels for long,,,, he needs to face the inevitable!!!! Maybe save some money and go for a trike instead,,, or better yet, a Spyder,,, not because I own one, but it's just a good way to go and he can ride that much longer than a 2 wheel,,, and he's still young enough to adjust to it.

Great point if we were talking about ME, Carl. But this is one of my YOUNGER friends. (He might even be offended if I were to mention the age factor! Ha, ha!!

Too big and top heavy for a reintroduction to motorcycling after 40 years. My recommendation is to go with something smaller at first. 650-750 range. There are lots of them out there used with low miles. After 6 months to a year of riding again, sell it and go for the bigger bike. Also take the Rider training class. The refresher training will be a good experience.

My :2cents:

Thanks for the comment, Gary. That "top-heavy" factor DID actually cross my mind also, (great minds think alike?).... and in fact, he's going to be buying a V-Star for his son, as well. But, for him.....I THINK he's about 6ft 4, I think most 750's would be on the "cramped" side as far as fitting him in! AND he's a pretty stocky guy, so I think he can hold it up OK.

In fact, I believe the plan is for him to "re-introduce" himself to riding on the kid's bike (when junior's doing his homework, LOL) and after a few weeks or so, get rambunctious on the Venture!

P.S. Plus, here in Ontario......he'll save having to pay THIRTEEN percent sales tax TWICE by buying another bike just a little down the road!

Edited by Semi-retired
Add (over) -taxation comment! :0

Personally I think that price point would be about average.. I think if I were in the market for one I would do some dickering,, maybe offer 7 grand cash (U.S.) with the offer of the 8 grand asking IF the dealership popped the lids on the carbs and stuck in new OEM slides and diaphrams so I knew I was starting off with new and some new brake pads all the way around.. That would also hinge on my personal inspection prior to them tossing $$'s at the scoot to start the process..

Actually though, I would do a TON of research in looking for a brand new left over carrying the 5 year warranty. I know for a fact that the left over RSV's have been known to bring 10ish.. It's always the same game though,, ya gotta do the research to find em. Bottom line is the market is saturated and there are lots of deals to be had for those who are still able to ride.. I even heard about a person recently who picked up a brand new left over 2018 SVTC for just over 18 grand = talk about a steal!

Not sure what the process is or the xtra taxes that would have to be paid if your friend bought one State side and rode it home Retired but I know others have done it. Being able to do so may or may not be prudent $$ wise but it sure would widen the prospects of finding a new left over = TONS of great deals happening here in the States and with riding season coming to a close it's only gonna get better for the savvy buyer with cash in hand,, IMHO of course!

Best wishes to your buddy on getting what he wants!!

Puc

Personally I think that price point would be about average.............and with riding season coming to a close it's only gonna get better for the savvy buyer with cash in hand,, IMHO of course!

Best wishes to your buddy on getting what he wants!!

Puc

ALL good points, as usual, cowpuc!! Thanks for your contribution.

I touched base with buddy last night, and it seems, in his ultimate wisdom (remember he IS a biker, way down deep!), he's decided to follow our collective wisdom.

He's going to proceed with the deal on the V-Star for his son......because NOTHING stands between a 20-something and his FIRST motorcycle......and take his time looking for one for himself.

In the meantime, of course, he'll be borrowing/stealing his kid's mount, re-familiarizing himself with the wonders of "one down...four up"......"push steering"....."emergency braking/junk avoidance".....and all the other old lessons that his son just learned at the community college, but for HIM are lurking in the entrails of his cerebral cortex from 3 or 4 decades ago.

And, as you (and others) point out, the deals will only be getting better as the days become shorter.

Thanks for all your input, guys!

Sounds like a wise deicision. If he hasn't ridden in decades, a little practice on a smaller bike first would be smart. an RSV weighs 869lbs.

YES, that phrase "Eight Hundred and Sixty-Nine Pounds".......has occupied a special spot in my vocabulary since purchasing my Venture back in '07.

The bike AND its size/weight have alternatively been my excuse.....my pride......my explanation....my apology......my warning.....my fear.....my confidence...my comparison....my companion.....my amazement.....my glory!

Owning this bike has certainly been an "experience".

I don't mean to say it's been life-altering.....or MIND-altering....or bank-account-altering.....or travel-plan-altering, but it HAS been a little bit of every one of those, AND MORE, (as they say in the likes of SHAM-WOW and similar BUY IT NOW! TV ads.)

There will come a day when I can no longer "throw a leg over". And from that point onward, two motorcycles, out of the many, will be at the top of my memory bank: my 250 Bultaco Pursang motocrosser, and of course, the Venture. Each with their own cascade of reasons; the Venture versions being very familiar to YOU.