IGNORED

Help, Oil Leak From Hose In Rear Wheelwell

I got the old girl out (first time this year) before a big ride coming up and it looks like there was oil coming from the rear tire. Played with the air spring settings and I think I have a little more oil - behind the rear tire. Looked up inside the well and there was oil on the mudflap and looks like it is coming from one of two hose ends that vent into the rear well right behind the licence plate assembly. Anybody know what these hoses go to? I'd take a wild guess they vent the air shocks and the oil is indicative of a bad shock (but only one).

87 venture royale, ~60k mi

I would have to agree with you that is either front fork oil or rear shock oil. I think your next step is to remove the travel trunk and check the air compressor and the air lines and see if that leads to what is leaking.

Hope that helps.

Rick F.

Thanks for the lead cimmer, pulled the trunk and it looks like the oil is coming from the compressor SOMEWHERE, but can't really see where (even rolling it over). Seem reasonable to assume that one of the shocks is leaking oil at the air/oil seal and running back into the compressor during bleedoff? If this is the case, then I can just keep the air settings on the shocks and worry about it over winter, not intentionally releasing pressure?

Message Marcarl to join the thread. Old Dutchman is likely in the woodshed teaching some middle age lady some new to her tricks on how to split twigs; a new chapter he been working on for his "touring dessert book"? ;)