IGNORED

Draining the fuel tank

Hello all,

Brand new here. first post ever. I inherited my father's 1983 venture when he passed away a few years ago and because i didn't have a garage at the time so i stored the bike in a friends shed for 3 years. I'm now trying to get it up and running again since my family and i moved to a new house where i can store it. For obvious reasons, i'm having trouble getting it started. i bought a brand new battery and it's turning over but no fire. I've check the plugs which are fine so i'm assuming its the fuel. my question is, what's the easiest option to empty out all the old fuel so i can replace with fresh? I don't want to go pulling stuff apart if i don't have to. Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Mike-

I believe you can remove the entire petcock assembly. Here is the process I would go through. Remove gas lines going to fuel pump. More than likely the fuel pump has rust in it. After draining the tank, put petcock back on tank and fill tank with evapo - rust. Let sit for 2 days then drain. Flush with fresh gas. Clean lines an fuel pump. Fill tank with fresh gas and u should be good. Oh, replace fuel filter.

I would go to the hardware store and get a fairly small plastic tube which can be shoved down into the tank. Since it will probably be pretty twisty, it might be good to attach some stiff wire with wire ties so that it doesn't just ball up inside the tank and is able to reach to the bottom. Aim the tube into a bucket and give a few sucks on the tube to get the siphon going. Once the fuel starts to come down the tube, it won't be too long before the tank is completely empty. Of course, once the old gas is out and the tank is empty, you can refill with fresh gas and see what happens.

Best of luck!

zag

I would put on center stand, and disconnect right before fuel filter. Have an oil pan to catch the gas. Maybe replace fuel filter. I found a nice clear glass one at Oriely's. About the starting, EVERY spring, I have to remove my air cleaner and quick spray of Starting Fluid into carbs. Works every year, and I never have to do it again until next year. Once you get started, I would run Seafoam through it. I also store my bike with Additive to keep gas fresh, and full tank to keep rust out.

either way you drain the tank should work, but when refilling it with fresh gas, but some seafoam in the gas tank first and then fill it with gas. This will help clean the carbs up a bit also. If there was gas left in them, they will have varnish in them also and may need to cleaning or rebuild.

Good luck but it will be worth it once you get it running properly.

Rick F.

either way you drain the tank should work, but when refilling it with fresh gas, but some seafoam in the gas tank first and then fill it with gas. This will help clean the carbs up a bit also. If there was gas left in them, they will have varnish in them also and may need to cleaning or rebuild.

Good luck but it will be worth it once you get it running properly.

Rick F.

If you are going to drain the gas tank, put Seafoam in and turn the key to fill the carbs with Seafoam. Not as familiar with the 1st gens but do you hear the fuel pump coming on ? Let the Seafoam sit for a day. Seafoam works best when there is a flow but it will do some of the work. Put some gas in it....maybe equal to how much Seafoam you put in and then try starting it and it it does start....let it run for a while (flow of Seafoam thru the carbs will help). Then top up teh gas and go for a good ride.

There are other products that can be used to soak the carbs. Someone else can make a recommendation on this. Hopefully you don't have to pull the carbs and clean them, jets, etc.

Basic questions though....

- check spark?

- spark plugs okay?

- fuel pump?

Hi Herm, pleasure meeting you and :welcome1::RED::group cheers:!!

If the bike were mine I would pop the seat off and remove the sending unit from the top of the fuel tank. Then I would syphon it from the sending unit hole and be able to inspect the tanks internal condition with a flashlight. I would also take a mirror and look at the tanks top section for stalagtite rust growth just to be sure future carb plugging from rust was not going interrupt my fun while out CTFW (chasing the front wheel) a few hundred million miles from home. After that I would put er back together and refill with fresh gas. Open the drains on the carbs, turn the key on and cycle the fuel pump by turning the kill switch on an off to make sure my pump is working and she was pushing fuel to the carbs and that each carb is getting fuel.

Next I would pull the diaphrams and try cleaning the carbs thru the drains with carb cleaner but that involves more story telling here and you are probable bored with this and have enough to do with draining and checking the tank so I will stop there :big-grin-emoticon:

Sorry to hear of the passing of your father,, I know how it feels. It is wayyy cool that you inherited and are working on getting his scoot up and going though. Congrats on the wonder challenge that lies before you and alllll the very best in getting that sweetheart back to life on the road!!

Puc

Hello all,

Brand new here. first post ever. I inherited my father's 1983 venture when he passed away a few years ago and because i didn't have a garage at the time so i stored the bike in a friends shed for 3 years. I'm now trying to get it up and running again since my family and i moved to a new house where i can store it. For obvious reasons, i'm having trouble getting it started. i bought a brand new battery and it's turning over but no fire. I've check the plugs which are fine so i'm assuming its the fuel. my question is, what's the easiest option to empty out all the old fuel so i can replace with fresh? I don't want to go pulling stuff apart if i don't have to. Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Mike-

You say there’s no fire. So there’s no fire to the plugs? Or it just won’t fire while turning over? Take one of the plugs out and insert it in the cap and lay it on the engine head. Turn the engine over and look and see if it sparks.

second, I doubt very seriously that engine will ever start without removing and cleaning the carburetors. That means you still have to drain the old fuel out. I thought there was a drain plug on the gen one fuel tank?

Good luck.