IGNORED

getting used to your venture

kansa737

When you first got your Venture, how long did it take you to get used to the bike's characteristics? the way it handles at low and high speed, coming to a stop with that top heaviness...you know that sort of thing.

I'm having a hard time adjusting to my '93, mainly coming to a stop. None of the other bikes i've owned have been like this one.

my wife says i just need to ride it more.

what sort of bikes did you have before your venture?

And she is right. Ventures are top heavy throughout the Gen. 1 and 2. You need to feel the love so continue to get on it. And remember to keep the RPMs high, these bikes hate being lugged. I have an 02 Gen 2 and I never shift until I am over 3000 RPM. And when at low speed parking lot turning, higher RPMs and ride the "rear" brake. Never use the front at low speed or you will go down. Just my imput. :cool10::biker:

There are a lot of better riders on this sight than me. So if they chime in, listen to them. I only started riding in 1959.

:farmer:

When you first got your Venture, how long did it take you to get used to the bike's characteristics? the way it handles at low and high speed, coming to a stop with that top heaviness...you know that sort of thing.

Been riding for a long time and I'm not a fan of top heavy bikes. I got my gen1 with the plan to strip it down. Nothing left now except the essentials. The under-seat gas tank certainly helps move the weight lower.

zag

Some lower the front, some raise the rear, some use a 130 front tire or a combination of these to help. I raised the rear and went to a car tire and couldn't be happier. I often set at a stop lights with only one foot down with no problem. That being said I have long arms and legs so I have extra leverage, that helps more than most realize. One of my firefighter's was behind me recently and his wife told him my RSV looks too small for me.

I think you're wife could be correct on this one.

I know for me personally.. Riding my other bikes coming to a complete stop means just putting one foot down... The venture means both feet down... The extra weight means braking earlier than feels normal.

It may be a good idea to find an empty space like an empty car park (parking lot) and just practice bringing the bike to a complete stop?

Started riding late in life after my dad passed away...wanted to do things before that happened. Started with a Yamaha 1100 and sold it after a year. My wife did not like riding with me much as it was not comfortable for her. Wanted a RSTD with the V4 and never thought I would need anything else. Ended up getting a nice deal on my 2nd Gen RSV and happy I got that. Took me several months to learn how to ride a V4 compared to a v-twin; now highway I'm in 3rd gear mostly (unless passing) and 4 lane is when I hit forth. The weight struggled early a few times not having my front tire completely straight; the 1100 was far more forgiving. Never dropped it but came close a few times. Comfortable at slow speeds but its still a pig and can do U turns and all. I have switched bikes with buddies (harley riders) but don't do it anymore. Mine rides way better in my opinion!! Looked at Goldwings but did not like the feet position, i can stretch out on mine. Looked at the new venture, if I would pull the trigger that would be the bike for me but not spending the money.

Stay with it; the two of you will become close friends!!

I came from an 1100 Virago to the Venture. After riding the Venture for a few months I took the Virago for a ride and it felt like a very small toy. Once you get used to the Venture's characteristics and handling you won't want to ride anything else.

Prior to getting my 86 VR the largest bike I road was a 1973 TX750 and that was only a few times many, many years ago.

I would suggest getting Motorman's ride Like A Pro videos or at least go on his you tube channel and watch those videos.

Man knows what he is talking about.

I did have the same issue at stops and having a 29" inseam made me start to doubt my choice of wanting this machine.

However, after watching one of Motorman's videos, I found myself making a rookie mistake and I would venture that you may be doing the same thing.

That mistake it looking at the place where you want to have the front wheel stop.

Keep your head and eyes up and focused straight ahead at something that is about 5-6 feet high.

Makes a huge difference in maintaining balance.

Watch the videos and practice, practice, practice.

I usually do some tight slow speed turns and figure eights while warming up the bike before a ride just to keep in practice.

Took my license test on this bike and the officer told me that I was having too much fun doing it.

Younger guys with much smaller bikes couldn't make as tight turns and figure eights as I was doing on the course.

Oh and did I say to practice? The more the better. And try to get the turns tighter each time you do.

Practice the stop and go, stop and turn, right turns, left turns etc.

The only other suggestion would be to ride single until you are confident in your abilities to handle the bike in all conditions and situations before riding two up.

Argo

I had been riding since I was approx 14-18 yrs old. All sorts and size bikes. I stopped riding at age 39. After moving to Florida and at age 75, I once again got the urge to ride. I wanted a touring bike and the RSV fit the bill package and price wise. I'm in reasonable health with a 32 inch inseam. I dropped this bike 3 times during the first couple months of ownership. The first time was on the way home from the dealership. All the drops were at a standstill. Damn, it took awhile to get use to forward mounted floor boards and that heel shift. Left turn from a stop and second gear instead of first. Big fun. Right foot sliding out while planted in gravel. the story goes on.

Once this bad boy is rolling is where the fun factor kicks in and I am in my glory. It took some time and no guaranty that it wont happen again but I love it.

I came from an 1100 Virago to the Venture. After riding the Venture for a few months I took the Virago for a ride and it felt like a very small toy. Once you get used to the Venture's characteristics and handling you won't want to ride anything else.

I know that feeling, my 82 Virago feels like a toy when I get on it.

However, after watching one of Motorman's videos, I found myself making a rookie mistake and I would venture that you may be doing the same thing.

That mistake it looking at the place where you want to have the front wheel stop.

Keep your head and eyes up and focused straight ahead at something that is about 5-6 feet high.

Makes a huge difference in maintaining balance

Argo

You know, thinking about it I think guilty of what you're describing. I didn't really notice it, but I bet that's part of it.

It's funny, the Virago is a smaller bike true, but I've never had the problems with it like I'm having with this.

And I'm a pretty good sized guy, 34" inseam and all. I can flatfoot this bike on the centerstand.

When I go out next, I'll pay attention to where my focus is and we'll see what happens

I had a 78 Suzuki GS 1000 that I sold to my brother in 87 and didn't ride again till 05 when I got my 03 Venture. I took it easy for a few weeks before I let the wife ride with me. I have since went to a 130 tire on the front and lowered the front forks 7/8 of an IN. I have a 30 IN. inseam and this helped the handling by a mile.

You know, thinking about it I think guilty of what you're describing. I didn't really notice it, but I bet that's part of it.

It's funny, the Virago is a smaller bike true, but I've never had the problems with it like I'm having with this.

And I'm a pretty good sized guy, 34" inseam and all. I can flatfoot this bike on the centerstand.

When I go out next, I'll pay attention to where my focus is and we'll see what happens

With a 34 inseam (same here) you might like the leveling links to raise the rear, it helped mine.

Wow what everyone has said is what I have experienced for 6 years and 40,000 miles.

130 front tire, raised the rear. Ride like a pro techniques all matter on this bike. I am a weekend rider and solo I am comfortable after a few hours. On a week long road trip to sturgis I feel one with the bike after about 3 days in the saddle. Two up I am always tentative.

I will share with you and you can find my review. I did a weekend review of the star venture and I was comfortable solo and two up within the first few hours. Low center of gravity and didn’t have the tendency to stall at low rpm

I love my 2007 but but if I win the lottery I would buy a new star venture for the handling.

Oh and no matter how hard I try for the cool look of one foot down at a light- it is always two and concerned if one is landing on a pebble.

VentureFar...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my Gen one despite that it is top heavy but yu do have to learn to ride it a little differently.

1st you don't lean with the bike as much as you would with a bike that has a lower center of gravity. and the slower you go the less you lean with the bike. Its almost closer to riding an off road bike than a highway machine. EG: on a slow tight turn in a parking lot or a U turn in the the street (affectionately known as the Marcarl maneuver ),let the bike lean under you while you yourself remain almost vertical in order to counter balance the top heaviness of the bike. Now of course the faster you corner the more you will lean with the bike but not so much as you would with other bikes you need to maintain a certian amount of counter balance.

2nd You do need to brake a tad sooner with this bike than others due to its added wieght. The bike has a linked brake system in that the right front brake is connected to the handle bar brake and used alone does not have a lot of stopping power. The left front brake is proportionately, linked to the rear foot brake, so when you apply the foot brake only the left front and rear brake apply. The thing to be aware of here is that when in loose gravel 0r 0n a paved road that is either covered with loose sand or gravel or is wet, if you apply to much rear brake the front will lock up and could slide out from under you. On another note apply both hand and foot brake on say dry pavement the front wheel will lock up and do a nose stand (found this out the first summer I got my venture and I was cut off with no place to go. the front wheel left a 3 foot skid mark before catapulting me over the handle bars). I also found out about the linked front brake the hard way when riding in the country and could not understand why I almost lost control of the front end when applying only the foot brake on a sand covered road. I came to a stop sign saw the sand and applied just the rear brake when my front wheel proccedded to slide out to the side. I quickly released the brake and made a second gentler attempt with the same result. That was when I 1st realized The bike had linked brakes. This also became an issue if I pulled off the road on to a soft shoulder really had to pay attention to your braking.

Since then I have de-linked the brakes and now both font brakes function from the handlebar while the rear is fully independent. I find this gives me better control overall specially on gravel (beware though too much rear brake on gravel could cause the back wheel to slide side ways). Also with both front brakes linked to the handle bar lever the front wheel has greater independent stopping power. Some like myself love this modification others not so much.

3rd although the bike has amazing stability at highway speeds standing still at a stop sign with a fair cross wind definitely requires two feet on the ground as the bike feels like it could blow over other times I have no issue with only one foot down while holding the foot brake with my right foot to keep from rolling backwards on an incline. But you need long enough legs for this bike. I have a 32 inch inseam and I can quite comfortably place both feet flat on the ground with my knees still slightly bent.

Once you get the hang of this bike and learn how to co-exist with it though I cannot think of a nicer bike to ride. I even prefer my 1989 to the 2019 which I road tested in WNY last year.

Very true! I ride my Venture and know how it rides and handles. I ride my son's RSTD and I don't really like it. Very little difference between the two but I'm used to mine and have become more comfortable on it.

Never use the front at low speed or you will go down. Just my imput. :cool10::biker:

This is simply not true. There are exceptions, of course. Poor traction conditions are always a potential problem for the front brake, especially on a heavy bike. If this were true, the linked brakes would regularly put VR riders down.

Picked up my 08 Venture about 3 years ago, first bike, go big or go home I guess, a couple of days in and I was sure I had made a mistake, I kept at it with some parking lot practice and the old motorman videos, which were a big help and about 33,000 km later and I luv the bike.

Biggest thing I changed in the first few days to improve my slow speed control was tire pressure, previous owner was running the E3s at 36psi, I run them at 40psi and noticed a big difference at low speed, tires seem to wear well, about half of my mileage is 2up and my E3s have 30,000 km on them with plenty left for the duration of this season.

Other than the tire pressure, lots of practice, any chance I get.

Im coming off of a Kaw Zx14 and let me tell you... i know they say front brakes like 75% of your stopping but ive found it easier to use the back brake to stop with because it feels like the front brakes are grabbing to hard? I also have a hard time moving it around at slow speeds and stopping at red lights... but you cant beat the comfort level of these things on the freeway!!