IGNORED

1999 Yamaha Royal Star venture running rough

I have a 1999 Royal Star venture Trike with 26,500 miles on it. - it's running rough - would not idle without the choke pulled out -even after it was warm. I changed the fuel filter and two sparks plugs. It never has

ethanol gas in it - It is running rough ,after the carb cleaner was poured in ? it started running a little better but not the way it should. Now what ? Can't seem to find a mic mechanic around where I live -so either I find out what the problems are-

I'm stuck without a mechanic. Any ideas ?

How long did it sit before running it this time? What "carb cleaner" did you use? Some of that stuff might damage the rubber parts. I use Gumout with PEA and put a whole bottle in a tank when my carbs get plugged bad. After running it a while over several days, it usually clears up.

How long did it sit before running it this time? What "carb cleaner" did you use? Some of that stuff might damage the rubber parts. I use Gumout with PEA and put a whole bottle in a tank when my carbs get plugged bad. After running it a while over several days, it usually clears up.

for a few months used Seafoam also B-12 carb cleaner. Before I added the carb cleaner it would not idle without the choke full on - after replacing the fuel filter and two spark plugs - started running

better - would idle with out choke on - but it still pops when I let off on the gas - and runs rough !

How much Seafoam per tank? If the carbs are plugged then a whole can in successive tanks would be called for.

Why only 2 plugs? ah go ahead and do all 4, the two ou didn't do are feeling left out now!

Carb sync might help, but if you can make sure the carbs are clean first, that is better.

Don't be afraid to ask for explanations, often times we assume tooo much.

How much Seafoam per tank? If the carbs are plugged then a whole can in successive tanks would be called for.

Why only 2 plugs? ah go ahead and do all 4, the two ou didn't do are feeling left out now!

Carb sync might help, but if you can make sure the carbs are clean first, that is better.

Don't be afraid to ask for explanations, often times we assume tooo much.

Two of the plugs were easy to get too - the other two were hard to get two - probably do it tomorrow !

Sounds like a vacuum leak to me. When you get it running at idle without the choke on (pulled out), spray wd40 around all 4 rubber intake manifolds from the carbs to the engine. If the idle changes at all, there is an air leak somewhere. Simple test and well worth a try.

Sounds like a vacuum leak to me. When you get it running at idle without the choke on (pulled out), spray wd40 around all 4 rubber intake manifolds from the carbs to the engine. If the idle changes at all, there is an air leak somewhere. Simple test and well worth a try.

Now that makes sense - went out to the garage and examined the rubber intake manifolds - checked two of them had cracks in the sides of the rubber housing - that might be the problem. This is starting to make sense - now that secret is how big of a pain in the ass this is going to be to replace them ?? I will do the test tomorrow !

cracks in the side of the carb holders don't necessarily mean they are leaking. I replaced the carb holders on my Kawasaki because they were cracked on the outside but the insides were smooth with no cracking.

That is correct Blue; the intakes are usually 3 layers, the outer layer being a rubber protection only.

A 20 year old bike with just 27K likely is suffering blocked pilot jets. When the jets are plugged solid ,it is unlikely to clear them with just the use of carb cleaners.

If there was a vacuum leak we would expect higher rpms and wildish rpm racing when releasing the throttle!

Patch