IGNORED

Any thoughts? Problems with early 2000 Yamaha V Star 650

Kretz

So today I got a call from a friend who had ridden to a local supermarket just as she arrived the bike cut out & that was it. Kaput!

It's an early 2000 V Star 650

We went over later checked main & secondary fuses, tried to check for shorts, battery is in good condition, kill switch wasn't "off". etc

The one thing that does work is the headlight comes on when the ignition is turned on, unfortunately we were unable to access the wiring/connections on the back of the ignition switch due to a stubborn panel that wouldn't release.

Nothing else works no LCD display on the speedometer, bike wont turn over, turn signals rear light don't work etc nada.

So sadly after an hour or more of head scratching we had to give in & call the tow truck. Bike has been ferried home to awaiting tank removal & further investigation.

The problem is electrical, not fuel,

Just seems weird that it was running one minute & completely dead the next. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Edited by Kretz

I know you said you checked all the fuses, but that sure sounds like a blown fuse. It wouldn't be the main, that would have killed the head light too. Sadly, I have no personal experience with that bike. I'd be t there is a V-Star forum with much the same kind of folks there as here though.

I'd start by looking through the manuals for safety switch(tip switch) or secondary "main" type links or fuses that may not be in the main fuse box.

Good luck!

Fuse panel is under the RH side panel. You need to get in there and find out what has power or not and of course if you've got a fuse that's hot on one side but not the other that is your culprit. Remember, you can't necessarily be sure a fuse is good by looking at it.

If the main fuse is good and everything else but the headlight is out it's probably the ignition switch or the fuse panel itself (it's a pretty weak panel).

Edited by MiCarl