IGNORED

1987 XVZ13D replacement battery recommendations

JMOC

The most recent thread I can find on this is about four years old, so I'm looking for any info y'all have on what is currently on the market. The battery I have on the bike I bought recently is old, and tired, and today it doesn't want to do its thing.

I'd prefer to go "maintenance free".

I'm just go to ahead say it now. For my money DEKA is the best long term battery for a Venture. I've been using DEKA since I did a bunch electrical mods on my '84 years ago. The first one lasted 6 years of daily riding and at that time covered a lot of starts stops with my work. I only replaced it because I was headed out to spend the summer on the road. It was still showing 25% battery life when I installed a new one. The new one is still in my bike today. Still cranking and charging like it always has.

You've probably seen DEKA mentioned several times on the board. I think SkyDoc was selling them here on the site to. You want power with CCA and reliability they get my money.

This will give you the specs on the battery for your bike.

http://www.bohannonbattery.com/html/motbat/18lbs.html

Edited by Snaggletooth

I have been using a Deka AGM battery in my 89 VR for a number of years and have no complaints with it. I picked mine up at Mills Fleet Farm in Minnesota here and is labeled for their private brand, Road Runner, but it is manufactured by Deka as when I pulled the label off the box it was a Deka label under it. So it pays to check and see where the battery is produced and stay away for the China ones as they are nothing but trouble.

Hope this helps.

Rick F.