IGNORED

Tune up ?

Whether the bike runs well or not, one 1,2,3,or 4 cylinders, it will always run 3100 or so at 55mph. It seems that the engine revolutions have a direct impact on the turning of the back wheel because those two items are like,, geared to each other, except for the clutch, which could slip I suppose and so cause a difference in posted revolutions.

The phrase "Tune up" sort of left the room with conventional points. Even in the 90s it pretty much just meant swapping out the plugs for a stupid high price. Heck, now even plugs last 100k, albeit not in our bikes.

A tune up for a Venture is really nothing more than plugs, but these bikes do like frequent plug chances with the correct NGKs. Aside from changing plugs and making sure the carbs are synched/dialed in there isn't much under the umbrella of a tune-up.

The gear ratios remain unchanged regardless of state of tune or mechanical issues (with possible exception of clutch as mentioned above).

If you are asking how your bike is doing based on speed @ rpm then its like Marcarl whispered.

Now if you want too know if you're running a performance machine or a rocking chair then we need to know compression numbers, peek at her plugs, temperatures (give or take) at the headers,,,,

Know what I mean? ;)

Patch

• 11 months later...
If you are asking how your bike is doing based on speed @ rpm then its like Marcarl whispered.

Now if you want too know if you're running a performance machine or a rocking chair then we need to know compression numbers, peek at her plugs, temperatures (give or take) at the headers,,,,

Know what I mean? ;)

Patch

so better performance would relate to how quickly and easily the engine can manage to get the bike to the specified RPM and related speed. I would be interested to know if that 3000RPM/55MPH is what most use for cruising along on the interstate highways or if you find your 1980's Ventures happily and easily cruise along at higher speeds - it seems that 3000RPM is what it likes - the throttle just cracked at a comfortable amount etc I noticed the same yesterday on my 86...I have not been out on the big highways yet - just getting used to slow speed turning and handling on local roads so far

Well,

My '83 got 29-31 MPG regardless of how I rode her. She was happiest right at 4k rpm but would run all day at 6.5k rpm and not complain. She would also blow the doors of any HD or Gold Wing with out even trying hard. The only bike I ever had any trouble keeping up with was my buddy's GSXR1000. That thing was just a ridiculous HP/Torque machine.

My '86 gets 34-39 mpg depending on loading and riding style. She's not as snappy as the '83 but is certainly no slouch at highway speeds.

My '06 is averaging 42 mpg but feels like a pig off the line in comparison to the Gen 1 bikes. She's got got plenty of power and torque at almost any rpm but she's just not quick of the line and the clutches slip when I hammer the throttle at any speed. I'm hoping sky_doc17's clutch upgrade fixes this.

Regardless of anecdotal recitals, spark plugs and carb sync are the "tune up" musts of the XVZ engine. At some point you may need to look closer at the ignition circuit, i.e. coils, wires and boots. But, if it ain't missing, don't mess with it.