IGNORED

1983 Venture Steering Wanders

I just finished a year long project to get a 1983 Venture up and going (been fun, have learned a lot, mostly from this website, like others have said, it's well worth the $ to become a memeber), anyway, to make a short story long, took her out tonight on it's maiden voyage, and she wants to wander a bunch. Tires look good, no cupping etc, lot's of tread left on them, pressure seems to be good (mid to upper 30's right?).

I'm looking for ideas on what I should start looking for.

PS, I do notice that when not moving, I can move the handlebars from right to left and there seems to be a "detent" feeling at the center of the steering, is that normal?

PS, I do notice that when not moving, I can move the handlebars from right to left and there seems to be a "detent" feeling at the center of the steering, is that normal?

Bingo!

That detent is the cause of your wandering.

The detent is because of worn (indented) steering head bearings. The race develops an indent where the roller of the bearing is constantly hammering into it. The rollers sometimes develop a flattened surface for the same reason.

Replace the steering head bearings.

Untitled .jpgbrinnelled race.jpg

I have the 'detent' at top dead center in my 83. I always figured it was part of it, has never caused any problems in the 20k miles I've put on it. What I think is your issue is, you have a bit too much air in front forks. I was told I have progressive shocks from previous owner, but that said, I ride with 0-1 psi in front forks. When I put 5 psi it's all over the place.

Anyone who has this going on should repair it. It has the potential to start oscillating into an uncontrollable situation known as "death wobble".

bingo!

That detent is the cause of your wandering.

The detent is because of worn (indented) steering head bearings. The race develops an indent where the roller of the bearing is constantly hammering into it. The rollers sometimes develop a flattened surface for the same reason.

Replace the steering head bearings.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=117148https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=117149

Anyone who has this going on should repair it. It has the potential to start oscillating into an uncontrollable situation known as "death wobble".

Thanks for that info. I always assumed it was how it was. I never get any wobble or anything, 5 years, 20k miles. I will put that on my to do list. :happy34:

When I start on this repair, does anyone have advice regarding other repairs I should include in the forks while I have them off? Just want to replace anything that makes sense while I have things apart.

Anyone have a link to a video of this repair?

When I start on this repair, does anyone have advice regarding other repairs I should include in the forks while I have them off? Just want to replace anything that makes sense while I have things apart.

Anyone have a link to a video of this repair?

It's always good to check the wheel bearings when you have the wheel off. Otherwise I don't know of anything you should do just because you're pulling the forks.

I think Yamaha specifies lithium soap based grease for the bearings. I wouldn't use that, it's a standard general purpose grease and is designed to flow in rotating bearings. It'll pound out of steering bearings in short order. I suggest using a high impact grease. I always used the same molybdenum disulfide grease I used on drive splines.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for everyone's advice, finally got around to working on the steering head. The bearings were solid with old grease and the races were detented. Replace top and bottom bearings and she's steering great. No more wandering.

Thanks again!

That's great news, I plan to do mine as well. I'm not super DIY guy, but have found a few videos on the web and instruction on this website. Did you just take front tire off, drop forks and have at it? Where the races difficult to pound out?

• 2 weeks later...
That's great news, I plan to do mine as well. I'm not super DIY guy, but have found a few videos on the web and instruction on this website. Did you just take front tire off, drop forks and have at it? Where the races difficult to pound out?

Yes, took off front tire, then the shocks disassembled easily from the steering head.

It was difficult getting the bearings out. The bottom was the easiest, since there are some cut outs in the steering head body that let you get a punch in from the top to drive out the bottom race. The top on the other hand has no such cut outs. I ended up welding a bit nut inside the upper race, then I was able to easily drive it out from the bottom. Good luck, it's not too bad, just go slow, don't get in a hurry, you'll be just fine.

Yes, took off front tire, then the shocks disassembled easily from the steering head.

It was difficult getting the bearings out. The bottom was the easiest, since there are some cut outs in the steering head body that let you get a punch in from the top to drive out the bottom race. The top on the other hand has no such cut outs. I ended up welding a bit nut inside the upper race, then I was able to easily drive it out from the bottom. Good luck, it's not too bad, just go slow, don't get in a hurry, you'll be just fine.

Thanks, concerns me even more, I have no welder... I wonder if anyone else has suggestions or a trick for the top one?