IGNORED

Front Brakes Question

On my 4th RSV now and last night was the deciding factor that I have finally had it with the piss poor front brakes after a sweet "innocent" teenage girl decided to pull out in front of my wife and I at the last second. I managed to avoid slamming in to her somehow but I would have been able to stop sooner with more control with good front brakes. I just bled all brakes and clutch this past spring too. RSV stock front brakes just suck, period.

Anyway, I read here that some guys have gone to Yamaha's R1 or R6 calipers and the braking is like night and day compared to stock RSV calipers.

That being said, I read on a Rick Butler post that direct bolt-ons to the RSV are R6 - 2004 and earlier, and the R1 - 2003 or earlier.

Is this information correct? I want buy a set off ebay today or over the weekend.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The entire brake setup from a 1st Gen Road Star Warrior (2003-2006) or 2nd Gen RoadStar 1700cc ('05- ) have the 4 piston calipers WITH the matching 14mm master cylinder. You can use the 4 piston calipers with the stock Venture 5/8" master but you'll have a bit more lever travel.

I hated the stock brakes, they had no "feel" and modulation of pressure was very limited. Since the swap it's a 2-finger pull to slow down. I have a few friends with Warriors or Suzuki M109 muscle bikes and rode them regularly so I knew what I wanted out of my brakes. I did put in EBC HH sintered pads for a bit more bite, stock pads on the rear brakes.

Edited by BratmanXj

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Puc for bumping up this thread with your post. I kind of forgot about it.

I actually installed the R! calipers about 2 months using EBC sintered pads. The difference is like night and day compared to the stock calipers. I left the rear organic pads in also like BratmanXi stated in his post and can also state like he did that the bike can be slowed down to a crawl with just 2 finger pressure. I am impressed to say the least. They are almost as good as the ABS on my Ultra limited. Very happy with the way that the bike feels now and the new confidence I feel.

Resized_20190801_181405.jpg