IGNORED

Cyclemate trailer wiring diagram needed

M61A1MECH

I am trying to help out a customer that bought one of my harnesses, the harness is fine, but he is having issues sorting out the wiring on the trailer, I was hoping that maybe someone had a wiring diagram or some first hand knowledge of Cyclemates, specific model he has is a Wind Raider. I have not seen the trailer, as he is in Minneapolis and I am in Florida.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Yeah that was one of the first places I found, I also contacted the sales/service at timeout but neither he nor the website had info on how the trailer is wired, just how the connectors are wired. I did reach out to a fellow named Fred up in New York that sells them, he also has a trailer place up the road in Port Orange and bought a few of my harnesses a couple of years back. He was more more helpful than timeout and offered to talk to Gary (the owner having trouble). Gary sent me some photos and the wiring is goofy from what I can see. Right now it seems the issue is left and right turns are swapped, so that should be an easy fix, poor guy has little to know hands on experience with electricity, so he is struggling. To make things worse he bought a couple of plug in testers that are to made for testing a 5 wire system that is wired as a 4 wire trailer with back up lights, those do not work on a regular 5 way, because of the way the 5 to 4 converters are wired internally to handle the hand off of the brake circuit when a turn is selected and the brakes are applied. Then he got a volt/ohm meter that he could not keep powered on, it kept shutting off. He was on his way to replace the meter last I heard from him, so I am not sure where he is in the trouble shooting, I have not heard from him for several hours.

Oh my. I can feel for the guy. Little to no experience and seems everything is going sideways on him. Wonder if maybe a previous owner had a wire break or something and got things swapped around. You or I would just start at the front and rewire or repair it. Maybe he could haul it down to the get together thats going to happen there in Vizona or wherever up there that way.

I worked on a timeout for a member once, the factory wiring was horrible, ALL of the wires were red with crimp splices everywhere. I took it all out and started over and did it right.

Are you saying that the trailer is wired as a 4 wire with backups or the testers were for a 4 wire with backup.

The one that i worked on also had the turns wrong but the bike side was just wired to match so I had to find and fix that too.

The tester is wired as 4 way with back up, his bike and trailer are wired for 5 way (separate turns and brakes).

My bet is the PO just matched the bike out put to the trailer's needs and all he needs to do is swap the turns left and right. I would make the change on the trailer side so if he pulls another trailer the bike matches the accepted standard for trail wiring. The wires on the lights are are color coded black, red and white for both the red and amber lights, I only have photos of the inside of the trailer so I am not sure if the outboard light is red or amber, I am assuming the out board light module is the amber one, because the outboard light module on each side is not using the black wire, only the red and white. But there are green wires splice to white wires and blue wires spliced to green wires, green wires spliced to yellow wires, from the pictures it is just not possible to tell what is what. I suspect that one of the green wires is a jumper from the left or right brake to the other side, but just a feeling right now.

I have given him the basic wiring diagram for a 6 wire set up that is on E-trailer, but edited to look like a 5 wire, he is going to work with that and let me know what he finds out.

How about a simple Simon way to figure out what goes where. Small battery charger, a couple wires and power up each wire to see what it lights. Any 12v source will work, I use my small battery charger. Granted the turn will have to be sorted out, but once ya know which wire powers what. I had a flat bed race car trailer I bought. One day it was blowing turn fuse, then next week it was brakes. My wires were pinched and insulation was pretty brittle. I got some extension cord and used it. Worked great.

Freebird,

Yes that is in essence what I suggested he do several days back.

Maybe I should have posted these photos when I first got them., I do not like how they wired it, but again, no matter the state of the wiring, if the only thing wrong is left and right turns are swapped , easy peazy to swap the two at the trailer input connector. I am not with the guy so maybe there is more to the story that I know.

thumbnail_DSCN1724[2].jpgthumbnail_DSCN1725[4].jpgthumbnail_DSCN1726[1].jpgthumbnail_DSCN1727[2].jpg

That is like the trailer that I worked, the factory wiring was a disaster so I stripped it all off and started over. All those crimp connections are issues just waiting to happen when they get wet and start to corrode.

It will be faster and cheaper to rewire from scratch than to fix everything that is there.

I was thinking all that was missing from that mess was some scotch loc connectors. But sgetti sauce was a good one. Man that is a mess. I guess in the mass produce get them out the door process crimps work.

• 3 years later...
On 7/19/2019 at 4:44 AM, M61A1MECH said:

I am trying to help out a customer that bought one of my harnesses, the harness is fine, but he is having issues sorting out the wiring on the trailer, I was hoping that maybe someone had a wiring diagram or some first hand knowledge of Cyclemates, specific model he has is a Wind Raider. I have not seen the trailer, as he is in Minneapolis and I am in Florida.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

See if this helps:  

Trailer Wiring-Procedure (2).pdf