IGNORED

1999 Royal Star Venture has a problem with choke

FAAQ2

I have a 1999 Royal Star Venture - it has a problem that when I start it I pull the choke out - but I have to keep it out while riding - if I stop the Motorcycle dies - pull out choke restart

runs fine with the choke out - the engine dies when I stop and the choke is pushed in ??

I have a 1999 Royal Star Venture - it has a problem that when I start it I pull the choke out - but I have to keep it out while riding - if I stop the Motorcycle dies - pull out choke restart

runs fine with the choke out - the engine dies when I stop and the choke is pushed in ??

Sounds to me like your pilot jets are plugged solid.

Patch

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Try adding some Sea Foam to clean your pilot jets.  As a temporary work around adjust, raise,  your idle speed  to get out of the idle circuit, by using the idle speed stop screw adjuster located below the bottom of the fuel tank.  As the pilot jets get cleaned out you will have to slow the idle speed down.  I had to rebuild carbs, change fuel hoses and fuel filter but the problem returned so my next step will be to clean the fuel tank and reseal it.  My RSV is a 99 also which sat unused for a time allowing the fuel to go bad, or maybe the prior owner was using a alcohol fuel mix.

On 11/1/2020 at 7:30 PM, cami said:

Try adding some Sea Foam to clean your pilot jets.  As a temporary work around adjust, raise,  your idle speed  to get out of the idle circuit, by using the idle speed stop screw adjuster located below the bottom of the fuel tank.  As the pilot jets get cleaned out you will have to slow the idle speed down.  I had to rebuild carbs, change fuel hoses and fuel filter but the problem returned so my next step will be to clean the fuel tank and reseal it.  My RSV is a 99 also which sat unused for a time allowing the fuel to go bad, or maybe the prior owner was using a alcohol fuel mix.

On 7/18/2019 at 7:18 PM, FAAQ2 said:

There is a couple of ways to look at the blue highlights: Lets wounder back to the days of the old "flap choke" even in those day we had to design the flap to allow air to pass thru it or all we would get was a sudden flooding of gas which would pool not ignite.

So while it is possible that the idle circuit is set to low to maintain rpm, it is not possible to "get out of the idle circuit" by using the idle adjustment screw. What will happen is that the throttle plate will open more which will allow for more passage of air, which will help lean out the enricher, but will not assist in atomizing the fuel more; that circuit is just not designed for it, and it is meant to add to the idle circuit not run in its place. 

If the pilot jets are plugged solid then they need to be removed for cleaning. The only other way is when the jets are slightly plugged say after one season of storage... Then it is possible that a chemical added to the gas may clean the jets. These plugs can get really hard and thus take a poke to clear them.

What @FAAQ2 can try is to prove the idle circuits by say truning up the idle set screw 1/2 a turn clockwise then carefully  turn the pilot screws a turn to the right see if she drops speed and then a turn then 2,3 to the left (counter clockwise) if she responds then there's passage thru that one circuit there are four carbs each need to respond, or they need to be removed.