IGNORED

ACF-50

saddlebum

Approx 40 years ago we used a product called ACF-50 for corrosion prevention on wiring connections (there was no heat shrink in those days). We also used it on light bulb sockets, door locks, hinges and ignition systems. I had one can left that I saved and used very sparingly over the years because I never ever saw the stuff again and assumed it was no longer available. About three years ago my engine started misfiring and I narrowed it down to a faulty ignition unit. I had acquired a replacement unit and was in the process of switching it out when I noticed the terminals where badly corroded. Decided to try cleaning it with some contact cleaner when I stumbled across my cherished can of ACF-50. Grabbing the can I proceeded to clean and treat all and every connection I could get to. Well needless to say the bike has run like a charm ever since. When my handle bar switches started to get sticky and malfunction, instead of taking them apart and cleaning them as is the normal fix I simply reached in with an extension straw and saturated the inside of the switches and they again performed like new. Even worked wonders on the release for my Zumo 660 mount which took to sticking badly and became difficult to press and release my GPS from the mount.

Well this week I went into the local bike dealer to pick up some S-100 when what did I spy with my little blue eye but cans of ACF-50. Needless to say I bought 2 cans. I later decided to check the internet for it and this is what I found.

http://learchem.com/industry/motorcycle.html

http://learchem.com/products/acf-50.html

acf-50-mc-eng.pdf

I also found it is available on Amazon.

Edited by saddlebum

Approx 40 years ago we used a product called ACF-50 for corrosion prevention on wiring connections (there was no heat shrink in those days). We also used it on light bulb sockets, door locks, hinges and ignition systems. I had one can left that I saved and used very sparingly over the years because I never ever saw the stuff again and assumed it was no longer available. About three years ago my engine started misfiring and I narrowed it down to a faulty ignition unit. I had acquired a replacement unit and was in the process of switching it out when I noticed the terminals where badly corroded. Decided to try cleaning it with some contact cleaner when I stumbled across my cherished can of ACF-50. Grabbing the can I proceeded to clean and treat all and every connection I could get to. Well needless to say the bike has run like a charm ever since. When my handle bar switches started to get sticky and malfunction, instead of taking them apart and cleaning them as is the normal fix I simply reached in with an extension straw and saturated the inside of the switches and they again performed like new.

Well this week I went into the local bike dealer to pick up some S-100 when what did I spy with my little blue eye but cans of ACF-50. Needless to say I bought 2 cans. I later decided to check the internet for it and this is what I found.

http://learchem.com/industry/motorcycle.html

http://learchem.com/products/acf-50.html

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=117070

I also found it is available on Amazon.

Is this the stuff and is this an ok deal on 2 cans Bum? I hope so cause this is what I just ordered: https://www.ebay.com/itm/ACF-50-Anti-Corrosion-13oz-2-Pack/254193676812?hash=item3b2f1fb20c:g:8dUAAOSw9mBcq8jV

Gonna undercoat our new car with it and even give Clyde my 82 4x4 shootin truck a hit, cover the snow blower and mowing deck on my garden tractor with it, shoot down Tweeks frame with it, gonna try it on the shooters and so on and so forth too - may even try it for a new deodorant if it smells good cause it says it will last 12 months :big-grin-emoticon:.. Will give er a real world test with video and results too brother!!! THANKS SADDLEBUM FOR THE HEADS UP!! :thumbsup:

I paid $16.99 per can Canadian not sure if that's a great price or not I was just so happy to see it I really didn't care. But if you look on the acf-50 website they even sell it in huge bulk containers.

That is what Puc needs, bulk containers. That way he can bathe in it (if he does bathe) and keep his body from corroding away. Love you Puc.

:farmer:

Alreadythen, made right close, in Mississauga and sold at AirCraft Spruce. Who da thot!
I actually wondered about that when I started looking into it more. Just checked $16.50 for a can in cowpucs case $3,309.00 for a 45 gallon drum so he can take that bath. :stickpoke:

https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/cspages/acf50.php

Edited by saddlebum

That is what Puc needs, bulk containers. That way he can bathe in it (if he does bathe) and keep his body from corroding away. Love you Puc.

:farmer:

GREAT PLAN THERE SLY-VESTER :clap2::clap2::dancefool:!!! I was starting to smell a little funny here since it hadn't :250: for a good while till today.. Besides,,, maybe the stuff will also enhance floatability so if that raft your sending me off to parts unknown in gets a hole in it I can still make it to those lands unknown where the land is covered with lop eared varmints who will freely clothe and feed me and let me ride their bikes for free while out going from corner to corner with my "need $5 for a hamburger" sign.. :stickinouttounge::nanner::rasberry::moon::rasberry::moon::rasberry:

Love you too brother!!:thumbsup:

WOWZY WOW WOW WOW,, this stuff must also have some kind of high tech space age lubricity to it too cause look what already showed up at my door :thumbsup: - talk about SLICK... @Sylvester ,,, unfortunately Sly definitely not enough here to bath in,,, maybe I will try in a direct application under the arms and between my toes and see how it works before I order a 55 gallon drum of it :missingtooth:

Thanks for the info @saddlebum! YOU DA MAN BROTHER!!p1.jpgp2.jpgp3.jpgp4.jpg

WOWZY WOW WOW WOW,, this stuff must also have some kind of high tech space age lubricity to it too cause look what already showed up at my door :thumbsup: - talk about SLICK... Sylvester ,,, unfortunately Sly definitely not enough here to bath in,,, maybe I will try in a direct application under the arms and between my toes and see how it works before I order a 55 gallon drum of it :missingtooth:

Thanks for the info saddlebum! YOU DA MAN BROTHER!!

I think you're correct Puc! This stuff is super slick. I ordered a 32oz. bottle yesterday and it was on my doorstep when I home this afternoon.

• 4 months later...

I discovered another interesting tidbit of information about this acf-50 that I didn't know before but discovered while looking up a chart on Rust preventative and posting this link

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?143806-Fluid-film

That it was included in the military study on Rust preventative and that acf-50 also ranks among the top outranking both Krown and Rust Check.

I've not seen this since I was a sapling. I've been using dialectric grease on electrical connections and anti-seize on most threaded fasteners, but I'm goign to keep my eyes open for this stuff.
Nice thing about this stuff when it comes to protecting electrical connections is, it works great on Low voltage connectors such as 5volt data link signal line were dielectric grease, Great as it is, can sometimes interfere with the electrical data signals in low 5 volt lines specially when its a data signal which fluctuates between 2-5 volts. Its safe on plastic, My garmin release got real sticky and difficult. I gave it a little shot of ACF 50 and instantly it worked even easier than when it was new.

Nice thing about this stuff when it comes to protecting electrical connections is, it works great on Low voltage connectors such as 5volt data link signal line were dielectric grease, Great as it is, can sometimes interfere with the electrical data signals in low 5 volt lines specially when its a data signal which fluctuates between 2-5 volts. Its safe on plastic, My garmin release got real sticky and difficult. I gave it a little shot of ACF 50 and instantly it worked even easier than when it was new.

I'm glad you added that, I never realized how it effected low voltage systems. That and safe for plastic suggest it would be useful to me for applications other than automotive. I'm going to snag some. Thank you.