IGNORED

Luggage removal?

So, in case you haven't heard, I just picked up a 1986 VR. I recall a conversation in which a member stated something along the lines of (para) "there is an easy way to remove the whole luggage rack assembly by removing 4(?) bolts" on the MK2.

I believe this was in a thread about changing rear tires.

Am I remembering correctly or is this just wish full thinking on my part? Is this possible?

So, in case you haven't heard, I just picked up a 1986 VR. I recall a conversation in which a member stated something along the lines of (para) "there is an easy way to remove the whole luggage rack assembly by removing 4(?) bolts" on the MK2.

I believe this was in a thread about changing rear tires.

Am I remembering correctly or is this just wish full thinking on my part? Is this possible?

Richard....If memory serves...Yes. And unplug the vanity light. Then you can get to the CLASS system stuff easily.

I don't remember if the passenger backrest or it's cable have to be undone....

The problem with these bikes is they are so dang dependable....stuff like this doesn't get done to often!! So my Olde Brain doesn't get the exercise it needs to remember clearly!

Heck, just jump in...you'll figure it out. Grins! Then let us know....so I can refresh my brain...

Wait a minute! Are you talking about the entire rear end sub frame? That would be one definition of "luggage rack assembly"?

The answer to that would be "I've never done it so don't know."

If you are talking about the side luggage pieces, I've always taken off the 7 bolts and their spacers ...leaving the chrome frame on the scoot.

Edited by videoarizona
Uh....wait a minute...

Yeah, I was thinking someone said it was easier to remove the entire rear sub frame than to pull the side bags for rear tire changes. I may be just making it up in my fuddled memory:confused24:

When I reassemble mine after putting the new tire on I will test this theory.

:fingers-crossed-emo

If you remove the eight bolts,with washers and rubber pads, from inside both side bags, twist and remove both rear brake light bulbs from their holes in the lenses, and remove a couple of screws from underneath the chrome strip on the back lower cross chrome piece, them you can simply remove both bags with the connecting chrome trim piece as one "U" shaped unit.

If you remove the eight bolts,with washers and rubber pads, from inside both side bags, twist and remove both rear brake light bulbs from their holes in the lenses, and remove a couple of screws from underneath the chrome strip on the back lower cross chrome piece, them you can simply remove both bags with the connecting chrome trim piece as one "U" shaped unit.

I see how that would work though I'm not sure it will work in my case. Maybe, just not 100%.

The reason it may not work for me is that the OP added lights to the red reflector above the rear chrome bar. The wiring runs behind the license plate mount and the lights come through the plastic.

I see how that would work though I'm not sure it will work in my case. Maybe, just not 100%.

The reason it may not work for me is that the OP added lights to the red reflector above the rear chrome bar. The wiring runs behind the license plate mount and the lights come through the plastic.

Bummer. Maybe follow the wiring back just enough, cut them, and add a connector?

How did it go? I just picked up an 87 VR and gotta tell you it looks fun to get to that tire! Now my 83 I removed a little more then 4 bolts which would be the bolts at the Saddle bag guards on the back and the ones next to the gas tank and the one in the middle of that gas tank! Then of course I pulled the seat to get to that bolt and unplugged the plugg that ran to the back which I believe if memory serves me right I also unplugged the fuel sending unit. Not sure if the same can be done with the 87. Is it possible to just remove the bag lids and get to the seat that way?

Yes, you can get to the seat bolts by removing the side bag lids.

It wasn't too bad. I did have to do nearly everything twice because I forgot things along the way. A bit of a learning curve but the next time should be smooth.