IGNORED

Plugs and such dribble....

videoarizona

Got tired of sitting around in the heat...decided it was time to have some fun.

Have the RSV torn apart. Cleaning, adjusting, lubricating....

Got to the sparkies. Iridiums. About 8K on them...including that punishing trip back East with headwinds and a full load.

They look really good! Even still gapped at 32 thousanths. The tips are clean, the insulators are clean...everything looks fine.

(disregard the tip color of #2 plug...they are all the same. Must have been the way the flash hit it.)

The pic is before I cleaned anything...

20190716_105116.jpg

So...my instinct says to put them back in. Heck...my Yukon XL went over 100K on the same type iridiums...why can't these go more?

So that is the question to the brain trust.

What would you do?

Edited by videoarizona
add

I'd put them back in as well. You might unscrew the cap, snip off 1/4" and reinstall for a fresh connection.

Thanks guys...went back in.

@SpencerPJ: Can't cut and splice on the 2nd gens....the plug wire and coil are one piece. Bag thing is if it goes bad...buy coil assembly. Good thing, no corrosion on wire!

I know absolutely nothing, zero, nadda about the 2nd Gens but can tell ya,, if pulled a set of plugs out that looked that good I would definitely reinstall and take the $$'s I saved to buy my good friends and dear sweet lop eared ice cream loving brother varmints an ice cream cone :stickpoke::essen_024::big-grin-emoticon:

Now if we were :Im not listening to1st Gens I would suggest replacing the plug wires with wire Wires (as they came OEM) and steer clear of any form of resistance creating carbon filled wires. At a minimum I would do as earlier suggested and at least do a quick clip to ensure a low resistance contact point. I would also replace the caps and slip in a new set of standard OEM NGK plugs.. Here is a little video of some fun I had with Tweeksis not long ago..

Hey VAz,, looks like you are doing an excellent job of not over chocking that gorgeous 2nd Gen of yours,, those plugs look GREAT!! Good on ya brother - GOOD ON YA!!:thumbsup:

Thanks guys...went back in.

@SpencerPJ: Can't cut and splice on the 2nd gens....the plug wire and coil are one piece. Bag thing is if it goes bad...buy coil assembly. Good thing, no corrosion on wire!

Naw they mean unscrew the spark plug cap from the wire. We can do that.

Naw they mean unscrew the spark plug cap from the wire. We can do that.

Really? I heard they were one piece. Looking at the front coils, they sure look sealed to me...

But...

Update: Well..right and wrong. The coil and wire are molded together. BUT, you can strip off the cap and replace that if it's corroded. @V7Goose has a thread about it when he was looking at the coil failures and found none. Just the corrosion in the caps.

P.S. Wonder how @V7Goose is doing. Never did hear from him for a meet and eat last May when I stayed in Ruidoso, NM. Hope he's ok!!

Edited by videoarizona
update

I've had good results cutting out old wires and re potting new ones on vintage coils. It is a good bit of work so you definitely want to make sure the coil itself is good and the problem is only the wire.

Yeppers. Did that right after I got my 89. It came from Wisconsin, so I figured there would be some corrosion and there was. Cut off about 1/2 inch and all has been good ever since.

So far, the 2nd Gen wires and cap look clean as can be. I bought it from a gentleman in New Mexico, so that would explain why they are clean.

It's the "Dry Heat" we have!:scorched: