IGNORED

09 Venture has oil in air plenum above carberators

Noticed a misfire developing last 500 miles. Finished changing plugs today on my 09 Venture. It has 38000km or about 25000 miles. About 2500 miles since last oil change. Oil level is middle of glass. When I pulled fuel tank off I noticed some oil on the outside of the air plenum on shifter side. Pulled plenum off that side and there was some oil on inside too. Cleaned up all inside and out. No oil in plenum on brake side. Carbs are clean, but seem to be a bit sticky. Any ideas why oil would be there? Only mod to bike is previous owner took baffles out of mufflers. I've put 17000 km since I bought it in 2016.

I cleaned everything up, planning on spraying inside of oily carbs with a bit of carb cleaner.

Pulled air filters and they are good.

New plugs installed.

Throttle doesn't return to idle position if you twist it when bike is not running. (Never noticed this when riding)

Open to suggestions.

Thanks

Throttle cable needs to be lubed and/or is running too tight. It does need a little bit of slack, not much but can't be totally tight.

My question for the oil issue, did you have the bike idling on the side stand for some time maybe? Just a straw I'm pulling at here, seeing as you already checked the sight glass and air filters. Did you have the bike straight up when checking the sight glass?

I don't think it's that unusual for oil to be blow up into the air intake since that is where the engine base is vented in most cases. Some owners are putting catch cans on the vent line on autos to catch the oil that would have been blown into the air intake. The harder you run the engine, the more likely this can happen. I wouldn't worry about it unless it's excessive.

I have noticed my Kawasaki blows some oil into the air intake. I mostly ride it around town and I love winding it up in the gears!:D:banana:

Checked back through some old posts and oil level seems to be the most common. Old plugs all looked good, so I'm not sure if I've fixed the misfire issue yet. Cleaned everything and will reassemble in morning. What a PIA to change plugs. Looks like fuel filter will be a challenge with my big mitts!

I check oil level in garage and bike level.

Thanks.😎

Doesn't put the bike completely straight up but put a 2x4 under the kickstand (make sure it has a slight lean to the left....you don't want it going over the other way). Oil should be at or around the halfway mark in the glass.

Maybe someone else can comment on the throttle cable...but aren't there two? Maybe one of them is binding or broken.

Just pulled my plenums off today to check plugs and clean up scoot. My left side was a bit gunked up as well...and I keep my oil level at 1/2 mark on site glass standing straight up. I've heard that's normal as the left side is the low side on the stand so any vented crankcase fumes get left there..leaving some gunk. Just cleaned and put back together is what I did. Not worrying about it.

This thread has a diagram of the throttle - from what I see there are two throttle cables.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?140644-Throttle-cable-adjustment-procedure-needed&highlight=throttle+cables

There are pictures in this thread of a 1st gen but the carbs are almost the same - https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?120460-pic-of-carb-cables&highlight=throttle+return

Here is a write up on installing new throttle cables - https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?71505-New-Throttle-Cable-Installation&highlight=throttle+return

Edited by XV1100SE

Pull the tank and look down on the left side. You can see the pulley where the cables meet. Clean and lube the cables, then do the Adjustments/freeplay suggested by manual at the bottom first, then at the handlebar last. You can buy a cable lube gadget that clamps on the cables and helps get the lube where you want it. Cheap.

Took bike for a 160 km test ride today. Added seafoam to tank and topped up with 10L of premium. Misfire still seems to be there. Dealer wants 4 to 6 hours to sync carbs. I'll use a FLIR camera next week when I'm back at work to check exhaust pipe temps.

Are there any adjustments I can try before taking to dealer?

Thanks

Took bike for a 160 km test ride today. Added seafoam to tank and topped up with 10L of premium. Misfire still seems to be there. Dealer wants 4 to 6 hours to sync carbs. I'll use a FLIR camera next week when I'm back at work to check exhaust pipe temps.

Thanks

The first adjustment I'd make is to find a dealer that will synch the carbs and only charge for the hour or less that it actually takes.

Guest divey

Thanks

E&S Motorsport in Ft. Sask. charges an hour for syncing on RSV. I’d be dropping any dealer who is quoting a 4-6 hour job. Wow! Doug

That's who quoted me 4 hrs.!!

There are multiple synch gauge set ups out there for sale for diy jobs, I use a simple two bottle homemade rig. Read in the tech library for instructions, it's not hard to do. You can buy the tools cheaper than 4-6 hrs of stealer labor and do it yourself. I check mine a couple times a year, once you do it once it's quick and easy.

Guest divey
That's who quoted me 4 hrs.!!

The jury's still out for me on their new parts/service guy. I always seemed to get the straight goods from Jared but he's not there any more. I had a sync done in May and they charged me an hour.

The jury's still out for me on their new parts/service guy. I always seemed to get the straight goods from Jared but he's not there any more. I had a sync done in May and they charged me an hour.

I agree. I think times are tough for them, quite a few staff changes in last year. Not helping their own cause with silly work quotes.

As for the oil in the air box true it may have something to do with oil level but it shouldn't. Yes it will gather on any bike toward the side stand side of the box.

More likely if it is excessive then it is blow-by related and that too could be your miss as well..

I'm in Calgary and willing to lend a hand, I can sync and check pressure flows in one step as well, likely tho I'd want to check compression tho, kind of mean that way;

Patch

• 4 weeks later...

Carbs synced last week and they were out a bit. Finally got some summer weather to go for a ride and the misfire is still there. I've ran two tanks with 1/4 Can seafoam per tank. Very noticeable at 120 kph(75 mph) and above on the freeway. It will get new fuel filter this weekend. Not looking forward to that with my big paws. LOL.

Carbs synced last week and they were out a bit. Finally got some summer weather to go for a ride and the misfire is still there. I've ran two tanks with 1/4 Can seafoam per tank. Very noticeable at 120 kph(75 mph) and above on the freeway. It will get new fuel filter this weekend. Not looking forward to that with my big paws. LOL.

1/4 can of Sea Foam won’t accomplish anything. Put 2 whole cans to a full tank. If that doesn’t work, carb rebuild is in order. FYI, you can run Sea Foam 50/50. Be very expensive, but you can.