IGNORED

My New Venture Oil Leak - Update

Well folks before i continue I am still upset with Yamaha because of this issue I am having.

After calling every dealer here around Nashville, Tn. the quickest I could get it "looked at" was a month out soooooooo..

I pulled it into my shop and put it on the lift and went to work. off with the front tire and fender and tried to determine where the leak was at.

best I could come up with is the lower oil cooler hose at the fitting where it connect to the oil cooler. cleaned the fitting, used carb cleaner and wiped it dry.

started the bike and held it at 2500 rpm's for about a minute and yep there was oil on it.. I am pretty sure this is the only leak but I will update again after I get it back together and make a test run.

I got so upset because of the guy in Ca. that had to get a new bike and I was sure i would miss this riding season but as of right now I want to thank every one for the suggestions and help here.

I am an ex mechanic and am anal about keeping my stuff nice and clean, especially my toys...

Sorry for putting my frustrations on here and again thanks,

Jess Tolbirt

White Bluff, Tn.

I don't blame you at all for being upset. If that is indeed all it was, the dealer should have found it. Sad state of affairs when a customer can find a problem that the dealer gives up on. I hope that is all it was, and it sounds likely, and you can now enjoy the bike.

Well folks before i continue I am still upset with Yamaha because of this issue I am having....Sorry for putting my frustrations on here and again thanks,

Jess Tolbirt

White Bluff, Tn.

No apologies Jess; while we feel your pain, we also appreciate the information and details. I wish I had the confidence to dig into something like that, and I know we all hope this leads to the resolution to the issue. My shop is two weeks out, but if I have the same issue, knowing what and where to look, for a job like that, might mean they'd squeeze me in a whole lot sooner!

Thank you!

Rich

Was the fitting just loose?

no, the fitting was tight. it has an o-ring and the oil was seeping past the o-ring so I pulled the front tire and fender so I could see and cleaned it all off with carb cleaner, saw where it was leaking and removed the oil cooler and the lower fitting. i had a set of o-rings and replaced it with one of mine a little thicker, still leaked, so I happened to find a rubber washer 10 thousandths thicker than the oem o-ring and cut the washer to fit where the o-ring goes..after a 100 mile test ride today, no leaks...I am happy..

as it turns out the oil cooler where the o-ring goes is machined crooked so I am going to have them order another one and compare, if the new one is even i will try to get them to swap it out under warranty..iif they fight it i will just pay for it..

Well folks before i continue I am still upset with Yamaha because of this issue I am having.

After calling every dealer here around Nashville, Tn. the quickest I could get it "looked at" was a month out soooooooo..

I pulled it into my shop and put it on the lift and went to work. off with the front tire and fender and tried to determine where the leak was at.

best I could come up with is the lower oil cooler hose at the fitting where it connect to the oil cooler. cleaned the fitting, used carb cleaner and wiped it dry.

started the bike and held it at 2500 rpm's for about a minute and yep there was oil on it.. I am pretty sure this is the only leak but I will update again after I get it back together and make a test run.

I got so upset because of the guy in Ca. that had to get a new bike and I was sure i would miss this riding season but as of right now I want to thank every one for the suggestions and help here.

I am an ex mechanic and am anal about keeping my stuff nice and clean, especially my toys...

Sorry for putting my frustrations on here and again thanks,

Jess Tolbirt

White Bluff, Tn.

Hey Jess, I'm glad to here you were able to fix the leak on your bike! The dealer here attempted to fix my bike on three different occasions at which point they determined that the leak originated from the engine case. Yamaha sent a tech to the dealer after which they decided on trading for another new bike, which I am still waiting for. Take care..

I was detailing my Venture and guess what I found, an oil leak. It seams to be coming from the same location, the hose next to the oil cooler. I'll let everyone know how soon I can get it looked at and what the solution was/is.

sorry its been to long to reply but sometimes work gets in the way.

i believe the o ring is the sillycon type, and also it was to small and there are no groves for it to fit in.

the o ring needs to just fit inside the lip on the outside of the fitting and when it is squeezed it will not be able to squeeze outward and be rested on the lip of the cooler fitting.

the o ring that was in there went around the hose lip very loosely and when pressure would build up it would "push the o ring outward thus making it smaller to where the oil would get past it.. i plan on going to the dealer with the o ring and ask for another and just see what they put on the table.

I have since added the lower wind wings and bought a drivers backrest and this bike is becomming mine and Bevs. we are getting to love it now. just need to figure out the noise which i think it the egr valve under the left cover.. thanks for all the support..

for what its worth, you will be pleased with them. i think most of the heat i am getting is from a vacuum like effect that sucks the air up but the wings blow air back between my legs and the engine,, i would say money well spent. only problem is, that there is only one set left in the USA.. and I know who has them LOL.. beachmont motorsports in Cincinnati oh.

Edited by Jesset
correction on state