IGNORED

Throttle cable part number needed.....

From the Yamaha parts app...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190708/a781c4bd9d501f5431c854e05a84ac6e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190708/b7263972368c97cb516fe4ff6fb324b1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190708/b87337bd925cf3669a032209864372fc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Thanks Suds, but I gathered it was either 63 or 62. Only diff that I see is one has an adjuster and was does not.

I was hoping to get a head start by ordering the cable. I'll tear it down further and should be able to figure it out.

Thanks again.

Will

Not too often that I've heard of a throttle cable breaking, if at all. My mind goes to the reason why, and the thought is that sometime in the past that lower cable might have been routed wrong at the carb. There is a nylon spacer on the linkage rod, right in the good position to indicate to the uninformed that it should be a bearing for the cable to ride on. News Flash!! It is not there for that purpose, it is a spacer only and the cable should not ride on it, fact is the cable needs to go under it, on the carb side, not on the outside. This may have caused wear on the cable,, maybe,,, just a thought.

Not too often that I've heard of a throttle cable breaking, if at all. My mind goes to the reason why, and the thought is that sometime in the past that lower cable might have been routed wrong at the carb. There is a nylon spacer on the linkage rod, right in the good position to indicate to the uninformed that it should be a bearing for the cable to ride on. News Flash!! It is not there for that purpose, it is a spacer only and the cable should not ride on it, fact is the cable needs to go under it, on the carb side, not on the outside. This may have caused wear on the cable,, maybe,,, just a thought.

The cable snapped halfway between the carb connection and the 5 way junction. I just ordered the complete assembly today.

Guess I'll start ripping off the left side fairing. :mad:

I received my new cable today.

I'm trying to remove the left side fairing so I can get to the cable junction module.

Does anybody have any advice how the left side comes apart?

I have removed a bunch of screws but it's still held in place rite around the stereo lower box amp.

Will

cable.jpg

Edited by uhfradarwill

Keep looking, there is a screw at the back by the seat, then 2 under the fairing (have to remove the rad cover to see them) then there are 2 up front, one one the chin scoop under the headlight and one directly under the faring in a depressed tower. I think that's it. If it still holds on there has to be more

Thanks. I did look over the service manual and a few pics. She has her entire left side stripped for easy access to the 5-way throttle cable junction.

Hope to finish her tmr and get some miles in.

Cheers

I had the pull cable on the throttle above the junction box fail once and ended up coming home from a cross country trip by pulling on the broken cable with a pair of Vise Grips. I would suggest lubing the cables with a good synthetic bicycling chain lube before putting it all back together again. I have been doing that since I broke one a longgg time ago and never have had a failure since..:thumbsup:

I had the pull cable on the throttle above the junction box fail once and ended up coming home from a cross country trip by pulling on the broken cable with a pair of Vise Grips. I would suggest lubing the cables with a good synthetic bicycling chain lube before putting it all back together again. I have been doing that since I broke one a longgg time ago and never have had a failure since..:thumbsup:

I was thinking the same thing Puc. If anyone could ride home with a vise-grip throttle I'd bet it would be you.

Did you like it better??

I was thinking the same thing Puc. If anyone could ride home with a vise-grip throttle I'd bet it would be you.

Did you like it better??

It was tricky to get used to pulling instead of twisting to make er go but guess what,,, she would still outrun most everything out there in the touring class of scoots even with no twisting for forward motion.. :Laugh:

I was actually tempted to pull it apart and see if I could adapt the push cable over to the pull cable position to complete the trip but found the vise grip trick to function well in a bad situation and besides,,, the challenge of pulling on the end of a broken cable was more fun so I went with it :hurts::Bunny:

I finished replacing my lower pull cable today.

I was wondering what would happen if the cable was on the outside of that spacer, so I installed it that way.

In that configuration you can only open the throttle around 3/4 before the angle of the pull get ridiculous and prevents further opening of the throttle. Common sense, it seems, would prevent anyone from installing it incorrectly.

Another thought is that you install the throttle cable incorrectly, limiting the throttle to 3/4 travel, as a training aid for people used to slow Harley's.

Will