IGNORED

Inboard rear brake pad wearing more than the outboard

Hi cowpuc !

How you doing?

Best wishes to you & yours.

I have often thought that Yamaha should have stuffed a motorcycle under you for free with the way you gave them positive word of mouth. Now I think Hyundai should do the same thing.

Which kinda brings me back around to my post number 2 in this thread, where I originally said I had to have my axle in one position cause it was notched to always point towards the pinch bolt. That is because I followed Yamaha Tech Bulliten M2005-15 (enclosed here and available on this website) to align the rear end. Once I did the alignment and tightened everything up, I notched the axle so I could always go right back together with it. The 2nd Gen did it this way. For a while there were even tapered shims for the 1st gen (I can't seem to find that bulliten). But, anyways, you were spot on.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=117060

HI YA DUEY!! Doing pretty good all things considered! How bout you brother,, gettin any :biker::checkeredflag: time in these days? Thanks for the well wishes and I hope you know they go both ways my friend!! WOWZY WOW WOW WOW,, I didnt know about Mom Yam actually making shims like that = pretty cool Duey!! YOU DA MAN = THANKS!! I wonder when they started that? My first 1st Gen was the one I ended up having to shim out to get the brake pads to wear correctly and that was back in '87 and ended up having to cut my own.. A tapered shim = WAYYYYY COOL!!

I LOVE how you think!!! Personally I 100% agree with you that Mom Yam shoulda got on the band wagon many many years ago and slid a new Venture under our backsides to wear out for em but,, it seems life don't work like that in the real world - it's ok though cause their inaction didn't seem to slow us down at all and riding a new scoot may very well of brought about less real world off camber adVentures:guitarist 2:.. Concerning Hyundai,, I think their business model is pretty much the same as Mom Yam's (for profit) in that to date, I have sold 4 new cars for them (our road is starting to look like a Hyundai new car parking lot) and have yet to received even a thank you from them BUT, that's ok cause Tip and I LOVE Trooper and are having a blast putting him thru the typical Puc/Tippy CTFW(s) paces!!

I also think Mom Yam may be kinda mad at me for my straight forward honesty about what she pulled with the new Venture and all that happened therein.. I think I might me a little to opinionated for her even though I am one of the faithful few when it comes to her amazing v-4's... Ya know,, maybe ol SlowrideWV was/is correct,,, in the end,, I am nothing more than an Old Hippy just trying to fit in:hihi::

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey @cowpuc Finally found Yamaha Tech Bulletin M83-021 for 1st Gens to use the special TAPERED SHIMS (Yamaha part number 90891-20026-00) to align the rear end.

M83-021 M83-022 Rear End Clicking Noise .pdf

https://www.ebay.com/itm/90891-20026-00-NOS-Yamaha-Tapered-Shim-XVZ1200-S94a-/312191527142?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c1

Yamaha part number908912002600TaperedShim.jpg

Edited by Du-Rron

I didn't doubt your indepth knowledge at all brother but am still amazed at this = EXCELLENT find there Duey!! It would be interesting to know how many, if any, of our members purchased those shims, installed them and were successful in their intended application use!! WAYYYYY COOL of Mom Yam to take those corrective actions - this also makes me wonder if there a LOT more folks with scoots with strange brake pad wear through the years (+ other applicable happenings like strange noises and other wear points).. Did Mom Yam only produce this tapered shim for the 1st Gens or is this applicable to the 2nd Gens too? THANKS for the followup Duey = YOU DA MAN!!:thumbsup:

I didn't doubt your indepth knowledge at all brother...

Oh I know. But I knew I remembered seeing this and I wanted to find it for me as well.

... Did Mom Yam only produce this tapered shim for the 1st Gens or is this applicable to the 2nd Gens too?

There was a different TSB issued for the 2nd Gens's and I didnt have any trouble aligning mine fore/aft when it needed it. If on a 2nd Gen if you needed more of the port/starboard/yaw alignment thing (very rare) , I bet these shims would fit the 2nd Gens. In any event, even with my rear end aligned as per the TSB the pads still wear faster (still flat though) on the right side vs the left side. The rear end is quiet though.