IGNORED

Back to engine noise, not valve train

Howdy yall!! new owner here for a week now.

i have been on harleys since 2013 and saw this star venture on the floor at a yamaha dealer and i thought i wanted it worse than a cowboy wants a horse.

its an 18 model i so far have only one issue with it in 200 miles.

when i put it under a load it sounds like the butterfly is clacking on open and close in the efi related to the speed of the engine.

i dont think that is what it is but makes me think it is in time with the rpm of the engine.

this hammering is loud enough that it is all i concentrate on while riding it. my harley 107 was a whole lot quiter than this thing.

doesnt make the sound when off the throttle, just under power.

could i have an exhaust leak under there?

on another note, the heat is unbearable, can the mufflers be de-catted from the front side of them?

i have read every post on this forum and saw nothing that related to my issue..

thanks guys

some of those engines have lifter problems. Get it checked out.

My dealer filled it with "low test" I don't really remember the sound, but it improved when I filled it with HiTest. For the heat, be sure your lower vent is open, and I have noticed it's only bad when I am not in my chaps or riding pants. It's also nice when in the mountains in the early morning or at night.

Same noise, I always think it is a exhaust leak but not sure. Mine is on the right side as your sitting on bike. I just did an oil test and it came back good so pretty sure it is not cam or lifter noise. For now I really don't worry about it.

Heat has not been a problem for me. The hottest the outside temp that I have ridden in has been 89. Might get hotter as temp gets greater. Really like the bike.

This morning after reading about oil changes and oil choices, I drained the back tank on my SVTC (3 qts) and replaced the stock 20w-50 with 10w40. As the author of the post promised, engine noise was significantly reduced, shifting changed from clunk to click, and the motor was noticeably cooler. I'll be doing the first 600 mile service in a couple days, and I intend to go with a 10w-40 synthetic.

Worked for me; your results may vary.

Same noise, I always think it is a exhaust leak but not sure. Mine is on the right side as your sitting on bike. I just did an oil test and it came back good so pretty sure it is not cam or lifter noise. For now I really don't worry about it.

Heat has not been a problem for me. The hottest the outside temp that I have ridden in has been 89. Might get hotter as temp gets greater. Really like the bike.

almost exactly what i was thinking, exhaust related like a leak..

today i was at the yamahaha dealer and this is a guy working there that has one of these 18's, has 20000 miles on it and he has the same noise since day one so I am gonna call it normal and try to quit worrying about it.

now i have to figure out how to make the navigation lady talk to me..

The 15w/50 doesn't show to be JASO rated either. Probably not important other than the fact that JASO is specified. I Will continue using what I've using to protect my warranty.

I am using the Redline 20 W50 and have noticed the engine noise quieter.

I tried Redline 20 W50 and found it definitely quieted the motor when hot

Of course it quiets the engine, that does not make it the correct oil for the engine, nor does it help should a warranty issue arise.

Patch

i am having trouble posting Du-Ron asked what happened to me ,

well as it turns out Jesse T has problems and is so pissed off at Yamaha he is going stir crazy.

this brand new bike has an oil leak worse than any Harley i have ever owned and i will be taking it to the dealer probably tomorrow and my riding season will be shot to hell.

a few decades ago i saw this girl and her looks were out of this world,, well i took her home and a few years later we got divorced, i lost just about everything.

a few weeks ago i saw this Yamaha and her looks were out of this world so I took her home.

after riding both of them the ride was great, the engine not so much, and now i don't trust either one of them..very disappointed in Yamaha to say the least.

i am to old to miss what riding time i have left.

i did solve the heat issue, those 300 dollar lower vents work great

my Corbin seat is being shipped today and it will probably never see the bike as i am thinking of cutting my losses and getting another Harley..

800 miles and back to the dealer, i did the 600 mile oil change, that's when i discovered the leak.

o well enough rambling but Jesse T is still here, Mobil one 15-40 wall - mart 33 dollars for 5 qts. advance -auto was going to be 78 dollars