IGNORED

The 7 PIN Helmet connectors and where to get helmets?

The new Venture has 7 pin connectors for the helmet communication system. Are these connectors compatible to the Harley 7 pin connectors? I can find Harley helmets and some kits to install in helmets, but I am not sure about ordering them, because I don't know if the 7 pin connectors are compatible. Please help.

Okay, I guess I'll order the 7 pin sets that I can install in mine and my wife's half helmets (she really like's her helmet anyway and that is cheaper than buying a helmet with them in it already). Thanks, I'll give these a try.

• 2 weeks later...
The new Venture has 7 pin connectors for the helmet communication system. Are these connectors compatible to the Harley 7 pin connectors? I can find Harley helmets and some kits to install in helmets, but I am not sure about ordering them, because I don't know if the 7 pin connectors are compatible. Please help.

Below are the items I purchased from Sierra Electronics the headset is for an open face helmet fits most brands

https://www.sierra-mc.com/

[TABLE=class: MsoNormalTable, width: 100]

[TR]

[TD=width: 15%] Details

[/TD]

[TD=width: 33%] Name

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] JM-HC-ZYH

[/TD]

[TD] J&M Z-Series Lower 8-pin Headset Cord for 1998-2019 Harley 7-pin Audio Systems - J&M Elite 801 ONLY

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] JM-HS-EHI801-UNV-XHO

[/TD]

[TD] J&M Elite 801 Series Helmet Headset Universal-Style for most Open/Flip-up/Full-Face Style Helmets

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Have these units from J&M worked? I bought "iMC motorcom" headsets for HARLEY to put in our half helmets. They plug in fine, but I cannot hear anything from my wife and she hears me constantly. And neither one of us can hear the stereo thru the helmet speakers. I think I made a bad purchase. Anybody have any ideas.

Have these units from J&M worked? I bought "iMC motorcom" headsets for HARLEY to put in our half helmets. They plug in fine, but I cannot hear anything from my wife and she hears me constantly. And neither one of us can hear the stereo thru the helmet speakers. I think I made a bad purchase. Anybody have any ideas.

I am not sure how the new Venture is but with my Harley I must be on what ever I am trying to adjust the volume on. in other words if you are listening to music that is what you are adjusting, try this get your wife to start talking into the mic and then while she is still talking adjust your volume. If I am using the CB radio I always lower the squelch until it is constant and then adjust my volume to where I want it, after that I put the squelch back.

The J&M headsets will work. I had the IMC also and they do NOT work. The J&M set is a 8 wire setup 7 pins plus the outer ring makes an 8 wire connection.

IMC headsets do not have enough wires to use all of the features of the Venture system.

The Elite 801 series is what Yamaha offers for the Venture.

https://shopyamaha.com/product/details/elite-801-series-helmet-headset-system-and-connect?b=Transcontinental+Touring+Accessories&d=50|50&ls=yamaha-motor-company&dealernumber=

Thought I posted this earlier today off phone, but guess not. Here is the pin out for the HD http://www.rlstaton.com/headsetwiring/. I thought I had read the Elud/TransC bikes were 7 pin. Leave it to Yamaha to change something up to cost owners more $$$ for no reason. @ $600 plus per rider I defiantly would go BT. Sena has a Freewire or something like that , plugs in thru an adapter cable to 3.5mm jack. Jack plugs into transmitter and boom your done. Does require a $25 adapter, then just decide how fancy a headset unit you want. I have read and heard thru you tube the "mesh" thing aint quite a good for multiple ride connections as they play up. I think I would go with the 10R now. My SMH 10 is good, just a bit bulky looking and sticks out from helmet. But they work fine. You might find a pair on a deal being they are the older model. As for your J&M headsets, read the site they have a return policy you can send them back. Just send in for a return authorization. If anybody has a pin out of the "new" Transcontinental comms it might be good to have that in our info section.

Thought I posted this earlier today off phone, but guess not. Here is the pin out for the HD http://www.rlstaton.com/headsetwiring/. I thought I had read the Elud/TransC bikes were 7 pin. Leave it to Yamaha to change something up to cost owners more $$$ for no reason. @ $600 plus per rider I defiantly would go BT. Sena has a Freewire or something like that , plugs in thru an adapter cable to 3.5mm jack. Jack plugs into transmitter and boom your done. Does require a $25 adapter, then just decide how fancy a headset unit you want. I have read and heard thru you tube the "mesh" thing aint quite a good for multiple ride connections as they play up. I think I would go with the 10R now. My SMH 10 is good, just a bit bulky looking and sticks out from helmet. But they work fine. You might find a pair on a deal being they are the older model. As for your J&M headsets, read the site they have a return policy you can send them back. Just send in for a return authorization. If anybody has a pin out of the "new" Transcontinental comms it might be good to have that in our info section.

I see that you have the SMH-10. We have them in the Bell Mag-9 helmets. I had read that the SMH-10 was not compatible with the Freewire. If it is compatible, I will definitely go with the Freewire.

• 2 months later...

For headsets and cables I've always dealt with Sierra Electronics. They steered be right for the components for both my '06 and '18 Ventures. And they also provide service and warrantee work on anything they sell. Prices are also usually better than most others. Also, they sell some helmets with the headsets installed, or you can ship your helmet to them and they will do the install for a reasonable fee... Always have had fast turnaround times from Sierra.

Edited by fltmedic

I use the Sena freewire with my 20S headsets and works great, I don't, however, know of this $25 adapter that you speak of. I purchased the Sena version of the free wire that is designed for the Harley's so it comes with all connetions and adpaters needed.

• 1 month later...
For that money I would buy the Sena blue tooth and not worry about the wires.

Will the sena SMH10 bluetooth allow all of the infotainment system to work wireless. Thank you. It would be great to be wireless but only if it worked the same as wired.

Will the sena SMH10 bluetooth allow all of the infotainment system to work wireless. Thank you. It would be great to be wireless but only if it worked the same as wired.

There has been information on one of these threads where the SMH-10 is working with the freewire. I also have the Mag9 helmet with SMH-10.

• 2 months later...
For headsets and cables I've always dealt with Sierra Electronics. They steered be right for the components for both my '06 and '18 Ventures. And they also provide service and warrantee work on anything they sell. Prices are also usually better than most others. Also, they sell some helmets with the headsets installed, or you can ship your helmet to them and they will do the install for a reasonable fee... Always have had fast turnaround times from Sierra.

I had them install a headset on/in my new Shark Evo helmet.

They let me know when they received it and when they shipped it out for return. The SAME day. Definitely will do business with them again.

The only thing they do not have is the extension for the passenger.

• 2 weeks later...
The J&M headsets will work. I had the IMC also and they do NOT work. The J&M set is a 8 wire setup 7 pins plus the outer ring makes an 8 wire connection.

IMC headsets do not have enough wires to use all of the features of the Venture system.

The Elite 801 series is what Yamaha offers for the Venture.

https://shopyamaha.com/product/details/elite-801-series-helmet-headset-system-and-connect?b=Transcontinental+Touring+Accessories&d=50|50&ls=yamaha-motor-company&dealernumber=

I rode a Wing before the SVTC, with wired J and M headsets (5 pin) Jand M makes the factory ones from Yamaha. All I had to do was change the lower Z cords on my headsets to the seven pin to mate with the Yamaha

• Like 1

• 1 year later...