IGNORED

Few updates on my "new" 05 Midnight Venture

DSC_1484A.jpg

Overall, I am pretty happy with the performance and operation of my first ever Yamaha. This model bike was always kind of on my bucket list of bikes to own before I die, so here it is. Mine only has 20,000 on it, and that is low for a bike like this. Trouble is, you can't find many with low miles and good care. Most are run, since they are mile eaters.

Of course, not 8 days after I bought mine from the dealer in Atlanta, a guy up here in the Chattanooga area put up an '09 fully loaded Venture with only 10,000 miles on it for $6500, and I think if I flashed $6000 cash in front of him he would pop, but my money is spent on this beauty I have posted here, so here are some updates:

The dealer did change all the brake fluid and flushed the lines, the hydraulic clutch fluid, the final drive oil, and the engine oil as they promised. I have to assume they just used what is called out in the owners manual, not full synthetic or anything like that, but it is nice to see clear fluid in all the sight glasses, and I checked the final, nice and new.

The back brakes were shot, so I bought a complete set of Caltric sintered brake pads, (both front and back) for a measly $28.50 off eBay, and replaced the rear. They fit well and I just caught the rears before they hogged the rotor. About a week later, I noticed that the fronts were chattering for no real reason, and were like new, but pulled them and put on the Caltric fronts, (only difference seemed to be that the Caltrics had a copper coated plate, where the old ones seemed to be just painted black steel.) I actually think that the fronts were glazed, and I never have had much luck sanding glazed pads, so I put on the remaining Caltrics I had bought for the front and they work great. Brakes are really easy to change on these. I did keep the chatter plates that were on the one side, just putting them on the new pads. Now, all is nice and quiet on the brake front.

The radio quit working for a little while - it worked, but would not change channels or any of the buttons work. If I ran the volume up and down fast, I could get the buttons to work - strange. So I am thinking either something is corroded somewhere or maybe a loose ground. Either way, it had just been raining a lot, and although my bikes are completely under cover, the humidity is very high. I put the bike on the road, and after about one mile, the radio came back and has been working perfectly since, even the iPod I connected to the Aux, so you can't fix what ain't broke, and I'm not inclined to pull a full fairing to look for gremlin. If it goes again, I kick in my warranty that I got with the bike and take it to the Yamaha dealer.

Lastly, GEAR WHINE...

I know, many have commented on this site about various amounts of gear whine, but I am just not used to it.

I knew I had new oil, and didn't really want to trash it out.

I reflected back to my ownership of my Indian Roadmaster, (my other ride), and the many comments on the IndianRiders.org forum about hard shifting and hard to find neutral. My 2016 Roadmaster, when it was new, was just a bear to find neutral, and shifting was hard. Everybody just said wait till you get past the break in oil, but I thought it nonsense. New Indians, at least the Thunderstroke 111 models, when new the first shift is almost impossible. Some people actually put on a heel/toe lever, (I'm in that camp), to get the first shift done, then it kind of magically goes away. But Neutral is hard to find. Many blame the oversized clutch on these bikes, who knows?

I also remembered that many of the owners had added 2-3 ounces of Motokote to their oil, and it went away and the bike became butter smooth.

Motokote is a bit different, claiming to put a coating on steel surfaces only, and it will wear away, you have to add it about every third oil change, but I've actually never read a complaint about it. After much worry, and with a reassurance that it would not mess up my warranty, I added it to my Indian. The shifting became easier, I could find Neutral, I was happy.

So I added about 3 ounces to the Yamaha, knowing all the naysayers who will claim it will make the clutch slip, additives are voodoo science, etc.

I'm happy to say that within about three miles of riding, my whine is almost gone, no problems with the clutch or slippage, neutral is easier to find, (if that is even possible with these bikes), and overall I am very pleased. Motokote is not cheap - a small bottle will set you back North of $20.

Some final juggling with the air pressure in the fronts and rear shock, (six pounds on the fronts, about 30 on the rear), couple adjustments to the shifter arm, levers, etc., to accommodate my frame and body, and I am happy. The dealer also had too much air in the tires, 41 lbs., so I lowered that to 36 lbs., and of course it performs better, especially in curves.

Am I still mad about that '09 popping up just days after I spent my money on the '05? A little.

I think it is well worth the $6500 he is asking, and like I said, I think $6000 cash would do it. Claims health reasons, and 10,000 miles on what is only a ten year old touring bike of this quality for $6500 or less is a bargain in my mind. Even has the CD player and fog lights, and the extended foot pegs for the passenger, along with some LED's added for effect. It is also a two-tone, easier to sell. I actually am surprised that it is still listed.

Here is the listing if anyone is interested. These don't show up every day around here. I kind of actually believe the listing, since he is throwing in the helmets and all.

https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/mcy/d/hixson-yamaha-venture/6910311763.html

So that's my update on my new "05". And for the record, my wife actually looked at the listing on Craigslist and asked if I wanted to pull out the money and go get it, ending up with two of these. I was tempted.....What a great wife!

Edited by Tennessee

Congrats on the ride. Don't let the 20k on the clock bother you, it's not even broken in yet. My 07 doesn't have the whine bad at all but the Motorkote is interesting as a lot have the issue. Keep an eye on the cheaper pads since you're stopping a heavy bike and ride it like you stole it. Remember she's not a twin and likes to rev. Tennessee has some great roads to cruise.

Thanks for the replies.

I will keep you all updated on the Motokote. I've put maybe 50 miles on her since adding it, and so far, it just seems to be getting a bit better and better. I won't add more than 3 ozs, though, even though it says two ounces per qt on the bottle. I think that is for mainly car engines, not for engines with an integrated clutch.

But I know a lot of Indian riders who use it, no complaints at all, no problems, and all say at least they see some improvement.

I will admit there is some gear whine remaining, but NOTHING like I had before I added it. I have to listen for it now, and it completely disappears as soon as I pull in the clutch, even in gear. Turned down my radio about 6-8 notches.

Oh, it is available at some Walmarts, and most all automotive stores.

Patch:

Motokote says that it puts a coating on all metal surfaces. Of course that would include cylinder walls, but it would explain the ease of shifting that most of the Indian folks I know experienced, (me included), a few miles after adding Motokote.

Of course the worry is that it will coat the steel plates on the clutch, and make the plates with the actual clutch material slip, but so far, over the months reading about experiences on the Indian forum, this is not what happens. And it certainly has not happened to me so far on my Indian, nor my Venture. I've been using it in my Indian for a little over two years now. The only thing I really noticed is that my mileage went up about 2 MPH, but that could also be just the engine breaking in.

Either way, I'm sold. Others opinions will vary. For the record, I am NOT a big additive guy, and waited quite a few weeks, reading reviews, before I put any of it into my Indian. Then I put it in my lawnmower and that improved. But then I remembered how expensive it is, and said the heck with my weed whacker and leaf blowers!

Patch:

Motokote says that it puts a coating on all metal surfaces. Yes many claim and some do; but it usually takes heat to set the coating.

Of course that would include cylinder walls, but it would explain the ease of shifting that most of the Indian folks I know experienced, (me included), a few miles after adding Motokote.

Of course the worry is that it will coat the steel plates on the clutch, and make the plates with the actual clutch material slip, Of course goes without argument. But we all cheat some, and, when knowing or weighing the risks, well then we know what to expect and how to correct!

but so far, over the months reading about experiences on the Indian forum, this is not what happens. And it certainly has not happened to me so far on my Indian, nor my Venture. I've been using it in my Indian for a little over two years now. The only thing I really noticed is that my mileage went up about 2 MPH, but that could also be just the engine breaking in.

Either way, I'm sold. Others opinions will vary. For the record, I am NOT a big additive guy, and waited quite a few weeks, reading reviews, before I put any of it into my Indian. Then I put it in my lawnmower and that improved. But then I remembered how expensive it is, and said the heck with my weed whacker and leaf blowers!

As for the gains you mention, that is not far off from posted others experienced, you are in fact reducing friction so you win there. But overall and as you mentioned you're not an additive fellow, the rings pay a long term price even tho the friction is reduce and you may rev a touch faster, the pours that usually hold oil molecules are somewhat reduced, on the combustion stroke and while the top ring is locked you may experience more blow-by.

Call it a draw for now, long term well... Unlike racing engines we don't tare down so while these additives prove themselves on the track not so much on the street especially on a touring ride.

I'm confident you get-err where you want err

Patch

• 2 weeks later...

So I did pick up another one as some have seen, a 2009 with only 10K on her and every option offered.

It has been lowered, and is a beautiful bike, but it idles rough, and coughs some until the revs get up some. it also might have a bit of a starter switch problem, or maybe a weaker battery or maybe even a dirty starter solenoid, have not looked into it yet. I think to be honest, just a dirty start switch. If I press soundly on the switch, it starts. I have to hit it with some plastic safe contact cleaner and see if that corrects it. It also whines just like the Midnight did before the Motokote.

I will say that now that I have about a hundred miles on the 05' Midnight since I added the Motokote, it shifts easier, finds neutral better, and just runs quieter. You don't really realize how noisy the whining is until you turn on the radio. Now I can hear it clearly, while on my 09, which I did an oil change and put in Castrol 20-50 with a new Yamaha filter, it still whines. And no clutch slip that I can detect on the '05.

Some say the whine problem got better as the years went along. Well, I now have an 05' that is quieter than an 09'. The whine is NOT completely gone, but much better.

Once I get the '09 tuned up professionally, I think then I might consider adding the Motokote as I did on the '05.

I've had Motokote in my Indian for almost three years now, with no ill effects.

So there's my update!

Put some Gumout with PEA in the gas on that 09 and ride it for a while. My 07 was running a little ragged at low rpm when I bought it but some Gumout and riding it cleared it up. It will clean the carbs to some extent.

Rafterd, that was actually the first thing I did. The previous owner, (generous fellow that he was), left me with a bike that was almost out of gas and I had to stop at the very first station, (about a mile away), to fill it up.

I put in premium, and added a generous dollop of Seafoam, and have been riding with that tank full ever since on that. Obviously, it has sat a few times so the Seafoam can do its work.

So far, not much better, but it runs better at higher RPM's than it did the day I bought it, and starts a little easier.

It actually does feel like the carbs are out of balance in some way. I would not be surprised if they find a cracked vacuum hose or leak on a carb manifold gasket. Worst case scenario would be a varnished up carb and they have to rebuild it, which is entirely possible, since the previous owner let it sit for three months while he tried to decide if he could still ride, and the owner before that only put on about 1K a year so it probably sat months at a time with no gas saver.

Sometimes these low mileage bikes are more headache than diamond find.

I'm giving it over to my longtime Yamaha dealer, who has some very good mechanics that have been there for years and years. They'll find it. It'll cost me a few hundred, but they'll find it. My garage space is now all woodworking, and I sold off all my old tools for working on carb banks after I got rid of my 86' Suzuki Cavalcade, swearing I would never buy a carbonated bike again. Never-Say-Never...

Rafterd, that was actually the first thing I did. The previous owner, (generous fellow that he was), left me with a bike that was almost out of gas and I had to stop at the very first station, (about a mile away), to fill it up.

I put in premium, and added a generous dollop of Seafoam, and have been riding with that tank full ever since on that. Obviously, it has sat a few times so the Seafoam can do its work.

So far, not much better, but it runs better at higher RPM's than it did the day I bought it, and starts a little easier.

It actually does feel like the carbs are out of balance in some way. I would not be surprised if they find a cracked vacuum hose or leak on a carb manifold gasket. Worst case scenario would be a varnished up carb and they have to rebuild it, which is entirely possible, since the previous owner let it sit for three months while he tried to decide if he could still ride, and the owner before that only put on about 1K a year so it probably sat months at a time with no gas saver.

Sometimes these low mileage bikes are more headache than diamond find.

I'm giving it over to my longtime Yamaha dealer, who has some very good mechanics that have been there for years and years. They'll find it. It'll cost me a few hundred, but they'll find it. My garage space is now all woodworking, and I sold off all my old tools for working on carb banks after I got rid of my 86' Suzuki Cavalcade, swearing I would never buy a carbonated bike again. Never-Say-Never...

If I can make ONE suggestion? Get the 'Ivan's jet kit' fitted, oh and a nice set of V&H Monster ovals :big-grin-emoticon:

• 3 weeks later...

Took this bike out for a real test run this morning. (I can do that on a weekday since I am retired!!)

If you are familiar with the Great Smokies just South of Chattanooga...

I left Cleveland, TN on Highway 64, about 15 miles to Rt. 411. Headed East on 411, keeping the bike around 60-70 MPH. So far, so good.

Above Benton, Tennessee, just past the Polk County High School, is a turnoff for Rt. 30 which leads SouthWest to Parksville lake and reconnects with Rt. 64.

This is a 15 mile stretch that has been called the "Dragon's Tail with driveways."

This really tested the bike, up, down, major tight turns, no real straightaways, for about 15 miles. I didn't hit fourth but once or twice, and not for long. Never in fifth.

Personally, I was glad to finally get off of it, since it also included a random portable stop light, (which I hit red), that was placed there to allow for people to use the one lane remaining since the NorthEast bound lane had collapsed into the mountainside from a recent rainstorm. (I had to wait for a beat up mini-pickup...)

After completing that 15 mile run, I reconnected with the Ocoee highway about five miles East of TVA dam #1 . Took that road back to Cleveland, TN.

Total run, just short of 80 miles. Temps, in the mid to high 80's.

Bike performed OK, not great in my book. No real problems, but the handling is not what I hoped for. I wish that the lowering kit that is on my '09 was on this bike. I may add one. Wife says go for it. I keep the money, so wait I shall, but it hit the list today...

The Clearshield with the vent was a lifesaver in cooling. Also 1.5" lower. Love to add that to the '09!!

Overall, the bike did what it was supposed to do, but I found myself really using my eye/hand technique to get me through the curves of the Rt. 30 portion. Bike just doesn't want to lay over like my other scoots, both of which are lowered.

But for a fourteen year old bike, and fourteen year old technology, not bad, not bad at all.

I plan on taking the '09 that is lowered through the same route maybe tomorrow. Hope the messed up carbs play nice. Have not had a chance to get it in to get them balanced and cleaned yet, but it is improving with me riding it often.

What I liked about the '05:

Bike shifted like a dream. Neutral is much easier to find than my Indian.

Mileage seemed good, but only using the gauge to guess I did maybe 35-39MPH.

Clearshield windshield is a lifesaver, with the vent in the lower middle. Highly recommended.

Never overheated, nor did it ever miss a beat.

What I didn't like:

I still am not used to the four-cylinder pulse that the motor puts out. You can feel every cylinder explosion, a strange feeling. Just...odd.

Carbs are no replacement for fuel injection, period.

It is only a 1300CC. You have to remember that. Despite the 90+ HP, the torque is lacking at high speeds, and it kind of runs out of power around 65-70 MPH.

Handling was so-so, bit too high of COG, and made me use my eye-hand technique hard to get it over for the tight curves of the 15 mile Rt. 30 run.

Overall, I am pleased that the bike did what it should, didn't make any real mistakes, and kept me going. Could it be quieter, despite my Motokote addition? Yes. Are there funny whining noises at different times that make you wonder? Yes.

Did it take me out and home safely? You bet...

So I think I am happy with my fourteen year old Yamaha Venture with the eye popping paint job. I may add the lowering kit.

Edited by Tennessee
Add comments

What I didn't like:

I still am not used to the four-cylinder pulse that the motor puts out. You can feel every cylinder explosion, a strange feeling. Just...odd.

Carbs are no replacement for fuel injection, period.

It is only a 1300CC. You have to remember that. Despite the 90+ HP, the torque is lacking at high speeds, and it kind of runs out of power around 65-70 MPH.

So I think I am happy with my fourteen year old Yamaha Venture with the eye popping paint job. I may add the lowering kit.

I respect the above as your opinion however, you have conflated the principles that those highlights suggest as faults or incapacitates.

The above is in fact a compromise between displacement potentials, volumes, displacement percentages, velocity (torque) then HP for over the line.

Carbs were never a replacement for fuel injection, today tho and for some it is the closest to raw power. Both still have flow issues, both still have throttle angle issues. Injection has active logic combined with mapping and nanny's through out the system. Carbs are brutish full of attitude just waiting to run on a rampage! You just need know how to make them crazy, and that is seat of the pants schooling not learnt thru net postings.

Patch

Obviously, you have a superior command of not only the English language, but the intricacies of these motorcycles.

I only wanted to post my impressions and feelings about this motorcycle.

Obviously I violated some principles that must not be crossed.

Do I know the difference between carbs and fuel injection? I believe so, since I have worked on both extensively for years.

Do I understand the fact that this bike is fourteen years old, and probably will not perform as well as a 2016 Indian Roadmaster, or even a 2009 Venture? Yes.

But with all that being said, somehow I have intruded upon your superior knowledge of these bikes and their capabilities, and for that I am totally apologetic.

How bout' I jus' don't post nuttin' else, and let the forum knowledge to guys like you??

I don't get the whole running out of power thing at 70. What gear are you in at that point? If you're looking for acceleration at that speed 3rd will pull like a beast, 4th a little less but decent. Remember she likes to rev.

If you're looking for the Baron's lowering kit send me a pm. I have one that was on my bike when I bought it but didn't like it with my long legs.

Obviously, you have a superior command of not only the English language, but the intricacies of these motorcycles.

I only wanted to post my impressions and feelings about this motorcycle.

Obviously I violated some principles that must not be crossed.

Do I know the difference between carbs and fuel injection? I believe so, since I have worked on both extensively for years.

Do I understand the fact that this bike is fourteen years old, and probably will not perform as well as a 2016 Indian Roadmaster, or even a 2009 Venture? Yes.

But with all that being said, somehow I have intruded upon your superior knowledge of these bikes and their capabilities, and for that I am totally apologetic.

How bout' I jus' don't post nuttin' else, and let the forum knowledge to guys like you??

That is ridiculousness and I may add that you are showing thin skin.

I have been here a while and nobody that has read my efforts to balance will agree with your first line!

Now Your post is not in a magazine print rather a forum that shares opinion mostly objectively and with absolute certainty in a with a community spirit!

Perhaps your ego has been pinched, well sir welcome to a free thinking and sharing forum!

You are free to present rebuttal to any era in my reply to your OP.

In the mean time piss off