IGNORED

Clutch not disengaging first start in the morning?

luvmy40

So, this about the '83 but could apply to any hydraulic clutch, I think.

I recently rebuilt the clutch MC and Slave, installed new SS hoses and wrapped the steel line with insulating foam for vibration/rub protection. The system bleed nicely and the clutch has worked perfectly since the work was done. (Probably 1500 miles or more.)

I checked the reservoir yesterday and it is at exactly the same level it was after bleeding and topping it off initially.

Here is what is happening:

Twice now, not consecutive days, in the morning(first start of the day) I pull the clutch lever to shift into neutral and it will not shift. I hit the starter button with the clutch lever pulled and the bike jogs forward. I then release and pull the clutch lever a few times and everything works as designed for at least the rest of the day. As I said, it's only done this twice. The first time was the morning after returning home from MD. The next was yesterday morning.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like air is gathering at the banjo up on the master 40. Try bleeding from that point 1st thing in the morning after the bike has sat for a while for tiny little air bubbles to gather up there.. Be sure to cover the area so you dont get fluid on the fairing. That is where I would begin if it were mine brother..

Could be air maybe? But did you know that hydraulic fluid from a once opened container can spoil? If it turns out not to be air, I would change the fluid being careful to drain and wipe before refilling.

You cap vent is functioning?

Patch