IGNORED

J&M Elite BT-04 Series Bluetooth® Headset

While waiting for my Venture to arrive in Vermont, I have been investigating trunk racks, "the darkside" and communication options for two up trips... I have never used anything but lean back and yell. While not looking forward to being corded to my bike, I stumbled upon a "new" J&M bluetooth option that is "updated" to work with the new voice-activated system, the CB, and etc... Has anyone tried this? Looks like it will be about $400 more that the six or seven I expect to shell out for two headsets and the required cordage....

I'll provide web site info if that's allowed... new member with no posts, I still have restrictions on what I can post.... I have also written to J&M for information this morning - I'll post what they reply. It's amazing that kids can buy bluetooth, voice-activated headsets for their phones for $100....As a teacher, I have confiscated (and returned to parents) dozens of them....

Rich

Edited by GreenMtnHunter
spelling

So I'm not real familiar with a lot of the finer points. So the infotainment system is not BT on it's own? It is still corded to a headset? If the bike is BT on its own you should be able to go with about any headset. I have SENA smh10 which by now is older tech, but works fine. I have read some reviews on newer systems and the "mesh" system and its not as great as manufacture boasts about.

No, it is not a bluetooth setup. J&M 801 series is recommended/sold as Yamaha Accessory. For Bluetooth, youy buy the J&M bluetooth device connection@$600, then the upgrade kit at $199 for existing headsets or a new BT-04 for another $400....

I Have checked out Sena and Cardia, emailed both to ask if they are compatible.

So after thinking about the cost, which is almost double; looking at the reviews of other bluetooth sets; hearing back from someone at J&M with a recommendation(strong suggestion), I have decided to go with the corded, 801 series setup.

I am still interested in learning more about the J&M's bluetooth, but it may be too new for this forum; the thing has been available for the GL1800 for several years....

I know both ways have pros and cons, as well as the different brands and models. I too choose to go corded simply because I don't want to deal with batteries. I don't want to have to charge constantly or end up on a long ride without the coms.

I know both ways have pros and cons, as well as the different brands and models. I too choose to go corded simply because I don't want to deal with batteries. I don't want to have to charge constantly or end up on a long ride without the coms.

Thanks; I have never liked attaching things to my lid, but We'll see... Today was an awesome one for ride in New England; my Venture is due to arrive in a box on Tuesday - I assume it'll be a few days to put it together, but I hope we be doing our last "lean-back and yell" very soon. I have not listed my Road Star; my son told me he wants sell his Warrior, to lighten up , which is pretty much a "full dressed" touring rig, to it's original "Silverado" look with a solo seat, and take it home... I like the idea...I might let him ride it...;-)

We switched from the corded comms on the RSV to SENA. Honestly the corded version had better sound and was just as easy to use. I did put push to talk buttons in line, as for us I always had swooshing sound unless they were used.

• 3 weeks later...

So if I want to get the J & M 801 wired system for me and my wife what exactly do I need in the way of parts. Looks like I need two headset kits one cord for me and a different cord for her. Is that correct that totals $600 from Yamaha parts website. Wow

Edited by Spicermech
Spelling

So if I want to get the J & M 801 wired system for me and my wife what exactly do I need in the way of parts. Looks like I need two headset kits one cord for me and a different cord for her. Is that correct that totals $600 from Yamaha parts website. Wow

I'm sorry your question went unanswered for so long - Yes...you need the two headsets, the two standard cords and one extender for the passenger. List is just under $650, but as I was also buying the bike, and a luggage rack and bag, I paid much less; he took $140 from the list price on the cords.

Should be able to look up a wire diagram, but I think the HD ones will work. And they are a dang site cheaper than $600+

I have heard that they will work....so I clicked on your link! Good grief! I was bamboozled by J&M!

For that price, I'd ride to a HD dealer and ask the first person with a headset to plug into my bike! I paid almost that much for just one of the cords!

Life's a song, and Smokey Robinson is playing in my head right now....where was that two weeks ago!

you mean Harley is cheaper on something :doh:

Well...If your not worried about paying enough just go by the HD web Site. These are a 30k Sena (pretty much top of line) The 10 s are $439 , 10s dual set $395 @ revzilla, the 30k are $520. All depends on how much mula you want to spend I guess. I dont need the most fancy stuff.